Why does my engines stop ?

A Living Legend
new reply
JanF
Airman First Class

Why does my engines stop ?

Post by JanF »

When I go through the checklist I can start all four engines. Then after while it happens that one or more engines stop. What could be a reason for that ?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Why does my engines stop ?

Post by Paughco »

You want to idle them at about 1,000 rpm. If you close the throttle all the way the idle speed will be too low - they'll load up and quit after a while.

Seeya
ATB

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi JanF.
Your question is very vague and difficult to give answers , more info is required for a definite answer .
1/. what sim FSXA/P3D
2/. As Paughco says idle at 1000rpm till warm , listen to the crew , they will tell you if idling to low
3/. What is the oil pressure , if to low engines will be damaged
4/. what temps where the engines at when they quit
5/. what was the OAT
6/. was there any faults in the hanger
7/. How many hours on the engines
8/. What was the mixture setting
9/. What was the prop setting
10/. Where any or all props in feather possition , they should not be
11/. Are you missing a step in the checklist , i tend not to use the checklist
12/. Have you set co-pilot to deal with anything or doing it all yourself
I have just read the checklist for engine start and found a fault , the engine start and mesh switches are side by side checklist makes it sound like one switch , like in the P47 , and no mention of primer , i use two shots of primer .

Regarding throttles , i set them up for starting by pulling them fully back , then move eng 2 throttle fwd by the the width of throttle lever , then bring engs 3,4 and 1 to the same position as eng 2 , i find this sets them for the idle rpm once engines are started.
regards Alan. 8)

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

alan CXA651 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 00:27 Hi JanF.
Your question is very vague and difficult to give answers , more info is required for a definite answer .
1/. what sim FSXA/P3D
2/. As Paughco says idle at 1000rpm till warm , listen to the crew , they will tell you if idling to low
3/. What is the oil pressure , if to low engines will be damaged
4/. what temps where the engines at when they quit
5/. what was the OAT
6/. was there any faults in the hanger
7/. How many hours on the engines
8/. What was the mixture setting
9/. What was the prop setting
10/. Where any or all props in feather possition , they should not be
11/. Are you missing a step in the checklist , i tend not to use the checklist
12/. Have you set co-pilot to deal with anything or doing it all yourself
I have just read the checklist for engine start and found a fault , the engine start and mesh switches are side by side checklist makes it sound like one switch , like in the P47 , and no mention of primer , i use two shots of primer .

Regarding throttles , i set them up for starting by pulling them fully back , then move eng 2 throttle fwd by the the width of throttle lever , then bring engs 3,4 and 1 to the same position as eng 2 , i find this sets them for the idle rpm once engines are started.
regards Alan. 8)
What I can say that I know is
1) P3D 5.2 HF1
3) The crew says that oil pressure is going up
5) I know that the position was Port Moresby in Papua new guinea during winter so I would think around 20-30 C
6) In the hangar I found that engine 1 and 2 needed to have the generator replaced
I have found one thing not mentioned in the checklist. Turn on the hydralic pump other wise hydralic pressure is zero and I need to use the hand pump

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi JanF.
The checklist that came with the B17 is not correct , there are a few faults with it , either look at ww2 B17 training videos , or the training videos Scott did on the B17 , found in the A2A store /B17, only starting issues i have had with the B17 is in very cold conditions .
regards Alan. 8)

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I don't know anything about P3D but in FSX if the auto mixture is on it will kill the engines.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

Tug002 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 11:26 I don't know anything about P3D but in FSX if the auto mixture is on it will kill the engines.

Keep smiling
Tug :)
In my case auto mixture is not enabled and I have set the mixture to auto rich

JanF
Airman First Class

Post by JanF »

alan CXA651 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 08:37 Hi JanF.
The checklist that came with the B17 is not correct , there are a few faults with it , either look at ww2 B17 training videos , or the training videos Scott did on the B17 , found in the A2A store /B17, only starting issues i have had with the B17 is in very cold conditions .
regards Alan. 8)
I don't find any B17 training videos in the A2A store. Does a correct written checklist exist ?

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Here are your B-17 training videos: Ground operations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz0l-EB1yYQ, and flight operations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL-zRFEt9lI.

I have developed a checklist that you can place in the kneeboard checklist. Here is the link: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=71848&p=547579&hil ... st#p547579.

It's a work in progress. I've updated it several times since the original post. I think it's getting close to finished.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”