Engine starter turns engine over at 4000rpm

A Living Legend
HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Engine starter turns engine over at 4000rpm

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Usually the first engine I start (no3) turns over as expected and might move the gauge slightly and requires primer and can flood etc as usual but when I go to start the rest they turn over at 4000rpm and don't even need any primer.
I've had this issue for ages but seen as realistic engines are a major part of accusim I thought someone else would have noticed it and had it fixed by now but seeing that no one has I'm guessing it's something on my end?
In the meantime I will play around with it and see if I can figure it out and post any updates here. - Memey/he11dude

EDIT- Just after making this post I did an engine run with a B 17 that I just literally just parked up and all of them turned over correctly so it could be something to do with a freshly loaded aircraft as it never works before a flight?
AKA "Memey"

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Re: Engine starter turns engine over at 4000rpm

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

After removing all possible variables it worked as it should so I slowly added them back in and I found that having the "headphones" option on before startup was the cause so I will just put them on once I've got all the engines running.

IMO the A2A B 17 is a buggy mess and I could list a lot of flaws but, it's still enjoyable and I remember reading that A2A don't want to mess with the old tech which is understandable. I think A2A should still add some little notes in the manual about these serious issues that are caused by insignificant settings though, as it just makes it look like a bad addon.

Hopefully anyone who has the same issue as me in the future will see this post, or maybe even read about the issue in the B 17 manual!
AKA "Memey"

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
with 1226.8 hours on the B17 accu sim version , i have had very little issues with it , and plugging headset in prior engstart , is something i have always done and NEVER seen the issue you discribe , i use FSXA on a win7 home premium 64 bit system .
The issues i know of are the ADF button in the roof and eng4 feathering issue , which seems to have extra code , posibly left over from the previous version .
regards Alan. 8)

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 04:47 Hi.
with 1226.8 hours on the B17 accu sim version , i have had very little issues with it , and plugging headset in prior engstart , is something i have always done and NEVER seen the issue you discribe , i use FSXA on a win7 home premium 64 bit system .
The issues i know of are the ADF button in the roof and eng4 feathering issue , which seems to have extra code , posibly left over from the previous version .
regards Alan. 8)
I know another guy who has the same issue but we're both on p3d which could be why you don't have it.
What's the no4 feathering issue? To my knowledge my feathering works fine on all 4, except for they don't windmill when unfeathered so I use the starter when restarting.
AKA "Memey"

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The no4 feathering issue in B17 accu sim , means when in cold and dark , eng 4 can still be feathered / unfeathered engs 1,2 and 3 cannot , no 4 should not be able to feather / unfeather without engine oil pressure.
I am a member of the 91st bombgroup , and know of a couple who are on P3D and dont have your issue but do have the prop feather issue.
regards Alan. 8)

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Ah ok interesting, I most likely have that too.
As for my issue, I'm quite surprised that no one from a2a has commented yet but maybe I'm being too inpatient :lol:.
AKA "Memey"

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

I’ve made a new thread in external Accu-sim testing forum with a link to your thread. The :a2a: guys should be here shortly, but some of them may be on holiday already
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tomas Linnet »

alan CXA651 wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 11:26 Hi.
The no4 feathering issue in B17 accu sim , means when in cold and dark , eng 4 can still be feathered / unfeathered engs 1,2 and 3 cannot , no 4 should not be able to feather / unfeather without engine oil pressure.
I am a member of the 91st bombgroup , and know of a couple who are on P3D and dont have your issue but do have the prop feather issue.
regards Alan. 8)
Wasn’t there something about the vacuum selector as well(FSX)?? I’m not at my pc atm, so I’m not able to check
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Thanks Tomas!

With the vacuum pump I thought it was just not modelled, but I can confirm that in p3d you can select the left side pump with engine 3 running and engine 2 out and you still have suction.
AKA "Memey"

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Tomas.
The B17 vac switch by default in FSX was a dummy switch , i dont think it was put into P3D B17.
To test if its a dummy switch do the following.
1./ in cold and dark
2./ vac switch select eng 2 , check horizon gauge tilted .
3/. start eng 3 , check horizon gauge , if aligned switch is a dummy
4./ if still tilted , select eng3 on vac switch , and watch the horizon gauge , it should now align switch is not a dummy .
i installed a VAC mod someone did , but the link is dead , my vac switch now has to be switched by me if i lose eng 3 , or no horizon gauge and hence no autopilot , until i switch vac from eng3 to eng 2.
regards Alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

HE11DUDE04,

If you think you've found a bug, please can you give us some basic information to let us try and reproduce the issue. For example, exactly which subversion of P3D have you got installed, and which other add-ons are installed concurrently? Also, are you reloading flights multiple times, or just lauching into P3D from a simple saved scenario using a default aircraft?

The link you say mention between the headphones and the engine start logic sounds a bit unlikely, but odd thing do happen sometimes, especially within the continually changing environment of P3D. However, I reckon it's more likely to be something local to your system, so the more info you can give, the better the chance we have to help.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 17:18 HE11DUDE04,

If you think you've found a bug, please can you give us some basic information to let us try and reproduce the issue. For example, exactly which subversion of P3D have you got installed, and which other add-ons are installed concurrently? Also, are you reloading flights multiple times, or just lauching into P3D from a simple saved scenario using a default aircraft?

The link you say mention between the headphones and the engine start logic sounds a bit unlikely, but odd thing do happen sometimes, especially within the continually changing environment of P3D. However, I reckon it's more likely to be something local to your system, so the more info you can give, the better the chance we have to help.

Thanks,
Nick
Sure thing!
I currently have P3D v5.2 installed with HF1 on the client only, I have activesky p3d, all 3 envdir products, chaseplane and orbx scenery. I also use joinfs and "Where are my aircraft" quite frequently.
I was loading P3D from the main menu after selecting my B 17 and desired time and airport but also managed to replicate the issue by loading the default flight first before changing aircraft.
Let me know if you need anymore info!
AKA "Memey"

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Any luck reproducing the issue on your end Nick?
AKA "Memey"

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Apologies for the slow reply HE11DUDE04. I've been away from my flight sim hardware for the last 10 days with work, but back home now and testing today.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 07:23 Apologies for the slow reply HE11DUDE04. I've been away from my flight sim hardware for the last 10 days with work, but back home now and testing today.

Thanks,
Nick
No worries lol
I had suspected that you were on a break or something.
AKA "Memey"

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”