Differential brakes and brakes

A Living Legend
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

Differential brakes and brakes

Post by Masterius »

I currently have my left and right toe brakes set up independent of each other, functioning as differential brakes, both setup and calibrated using FSUIPC6. For the most part this works great. I've a couple of issues, and a question, however.

Issue one is that, on random occasions, the brakes just stop braking. The popup flag [DIFFERENTIAL BRAKE] will disappear whilst braking, then reappear when the brake pressure is slightly altered. Issue two isn't, I suppose, as much an issue as an observation: when brakes are equally applied, or fully applied, it alters from [DIFFERENTIAL BRAKES] TO [BRAKES]. This is actually a good thing in its way, but leads to question one.

Getting the brakes to equally apply is terribly difficult unless fully applied. And it appears the differential application is 'all-or-nothing'. By that I mean it appears that if I'm applying pressure to both brakes, whichever one is seeing a higher pressure takes effect while the other brake is fully released. This results in rolling down the runway and the aircraft seesawing left and right as the brake pressure is altered to keep it heading straight. Is there any way of setting up differential braking so that if the brake pressures are within, say, 10% of each other [BRAKES] are equally applied rather than just left or right brake?

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”