Landing Gear Motor burnout

A Living Legend
new reply
omnijet
Airman First Class

Landing Gear Motor burnout

Post by omnijet »

I have had a problem crop up with my B-17 Accu-sim. About every other flight, the engineer says landing gear won't retract so we do it manually. (The FE must be getting tired of that). I assure you that I NEVER retract or extend the gear above 150. On takeoff, I hold my airspeed down until the gear is fully retracted. Please tell me what to do. These gear motors are getting expensive. :lol: I visit the hangar before and after every flight and I never get a warning that the motor is wearing out. Thanks!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Landing Gear Motor burnout

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi omnijet.
What sim are you using , and where you using any weather program like ASN at the time , and are you doing circuit training , on the real B17 they where restricted on undercarrage retraction / extention frequency else they could burn the motor out , but as far as i know A2A did not model this frequency limit into the b17 , but you never know .
Another thing if using win 10 updates sometimes delete the simconnect A2A use , and i have in the past had a bad ASN weather download , that corrupted the simconnect , and seen my engines get destroyed while parked in cold and dark in the B17 .
regards Alan. 8)

omnijet
Airman First Class

Post by omnijet »

Alan,

Thanks for the rapid response. I am using FSX Acceleration. No outside weather programs... just good weather FSX default. Very little circuit training. Average flight about .5 oi .75 hours. I use Windows 7. Other problems... primer does not respond to mouse commands. I have to start using default engine start. Last couple of days, tires appeared flat but that corrects itself. I have over 400 hours in the aircraft and made hundreds of landings, most of which the CP complements me on. Now, almost every landing I make, greaser or not, the crew groans.

I also fly the A2A T-6 and Connie. I have a bunch of other aircraft totaling almost 6000 landings over the years. I need to get a life.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi omnijet.
1/. Are you flying from a default airfield or addon airfield when this happens .
2/. Have you added any program aircraft or scenery recently .
3/. Have you changed any sim settings recently .
I use FSXA on a win 7 system , and both have had no updates due lack of support for these out of date programs , and mine works ok , and i have 1044.4 hours on the B17 , only issue i had recently , was the throttle lock stopped working , it drove me nuts trying to find what had changed , then i realised the mouse was recently changed from a track ball , to a logitec g502 hero , so i got a cheap mouse to try it , and the throttle locks worked again , so i investigated the logiteck mouse , which i had set to default mouse , thinking this would act like a normal mouse , this turned out to be a wrong assumption , it needed to be set to flight sim , so look at everything that has changed recently on your set up , to try and figure out what things you need to look at .
regards Alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey Alan,

Have you run a full repair for the aircraft in the maint hangar?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Lewis.
I have not done a full repair , as my aircraft is working as well as it can , only issues i have will need an update from you guys , and seeing as i am in FSXA that is unlikely to happen , the items i refer to are :-
1/. eng4 feathering issue your code is slightly different on this engine compared to the other 3 engines
2/. the ADF button in the roof when pressed in will not come out again with a second push as it would in the real aircraft when selecting ADF1 or 2
I was trying to help omnijet ,to find out why he keeps burning out undercarrage motors , and tyres looking flat then appear ok , and a primer selection issue .
regards alan. 8)

SeattleSleeper
Airman First Class

Post by SeattleSleeper »

Be sure to center the landing gear switch after the crew reports full up/down. If you leave the switch up or down the gear motor is still running and WILL burn out.

omnijet
Airman First Class

Post by omnijet »

I always put the gear switch in neutral after takeoff and landing and I never cycle the gear over 150

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

whoops, Sorry my post was suppose to be for omnijet

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I had the same problem with gear motor burnout. I started lowering it at 140 or below and it solved the problem.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”