Unable to individually assign prop pitch

A Living Legend
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

Unable to individually assign prop pitch

Post by Masterius »

I've tried numerous ways of trying this, but I'm unable to individually adjust prop pitch using hardware controllers (ex. Saitek throttle quadrant). I can do them all at once, or all four together, but no matter what I'm trying, if I assign the prop pitch of a single engine it doesn't move.

I've tried using it through FSUIPC as well, and no joy.

Al "Chevalier"

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Unable to individually assign prop pitch

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Chevalier.
Is this in P3D5 and FSUIPC5 , as you know i use FSXa and FSUIPC4 , and use CH quad throttles to individually control throttles/props and mixtures , and had no problems setting the B17 up for indivdual controls .
When you say you cannot set them up , exactly where are you having issues , I.E. is it in FSUIPC where they cannot be assigned , or can you assign them in FSUIPC but no response in the aircraft.
regards alan. 8)

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Al,

If you're having problems assigning hardware axes to the RPM levers in the B-17, can you let us know the exact name of the axes you're using? In FSUIPC it should be (e.g.) "Axis Propeller1 Set" if you're using normal axes, or "PropPitch1" if you're sending direct to the FSUIPC calibration. In P3D itself, the axes are called "Engine 1 propeller axis" etc.

Bear in mind that if the co-pilot is handling the RPM levers via the shortcut in the Shift 3 panel, your axis inputs won't have any effect.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Thanks to you both!

Not sure why I was having trouble last night, as I'd tried your suggestions and they weren't working. They do today...sort of.
  • If I use the normal axis definitions of "Axis Propeller(x) Set" they work individually,
  • If I use the FSUIPC axis definitions of "PropPitch(x)" but do not calibrate them, they work individually,
  • If I use the FSUIPC axis definitions of "PropPitch(x)" and calibrate them, none of them move.
Since my hardware levers output in reverse due to how I have them mounted (see below), I have to calibrate them in FSUIPC in order to have them properly move, and for whatever reason, calibrating them freezes them. I don't have that problem with my throttles; calibrating them, that is. So, for now, I'm using offset definitions and LUA scripts to have them work. I'm using the same for the intercoolers and mixtures, too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Al "Chevalier"

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Hi Al,

Have you tried checking the box "Map to 4 Props" in the calibration page of FSUIPC?

With this function they still work as separate levers and not as one lever controlling all 4. This is counter intuitive to the way you would think to do it, but that's the way i got mine to work. Mixture works the same way too.

Bill

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

boris4356 wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 11:17 Have you tried checking the box "Map to 4 Props" in the calibration page of FSUIPC?
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion! You're right: that does sounds counterintuitive. :? I haven't tried it yet, as I've got them working nicely using lua scripts and offsets. Same goes for the mixture settings: I've scripts that take the full axis range of input and modify that to output the four mixture settings.

Now I just have to get the hang of being in full charge of the cowl flaps, intercoolers and RPM settings! :shock: :lol:

Al "Chevalier"

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Masterius wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 16:45
boris4356 wrote: 28 Jan 2021, 11:17 Have you tried checking the box "Map to 4 Props" in the calibration page of FSUIPC?
Hey Bill,

Thanks for the suggestion! You're right: that does sounds counterintuitive. :? I haven't tried it yet, as I've got them working nicely using lua scripts and offsets. Same goes for the mixture settings: I've scripts that take the full axis range of input and modify that to output the four mixture settings.

Now I just have to get the hang of being in full charge of the cowl flaps, intercoolers and RPM settings! :shock: :lol:

Al "Chevalier"
Hi Al,

No problem! Good to see you got them working.

Bill

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”