Engine 4 PROBLEMS.

A Living Legend
new reply
Guus
Airman

Engine 4 PROBLEMS.

Post by Guus »

Hi,

I have checked almost everything (manual, forum, checklists), but I cannot (yet) find the solution why engine 4 shuts down after about 2 minutes (after the Flight Engineer reports that the engine has problems). I have at least 100 + hours of experience with the Grand B-17, I pretty much know what can go wrong or not. ;-)
Autostart for engine 4 works OK.
The Fuel Pressure is a little (too) low when the engine is running (approx. 12 PSI). OAT = 15 * C. Should I go looking for a bad * .cfg file under the hood ?!
My flight from Hobart (AUS) YCBG to Wilkins Aerodrome (ATA/AUS) YWKS has been delayed for 2 days now ! Who can help me ?!

Greetings, Guus.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Re: Engine 4 PROBLEMS.

Post by TreeTops »

You have checked the maintenance hanger for problems with the engine?
Cheers
Trev

Guus
Airman

Post by Guus »

O yes ! Several times.

Guus

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

So it seems the problem is fuel starvation?
Check the mixture lever is rich, but I suppose you can already see that. (Process of elimination :? )
Does the engine stop when at idle, or are you able to run it up to say 1500 RPM?
Cheers
Trev

Guus
Airman

Post by Guus »

Trev,
Does the engine stop when at idle, or are you able to run it up to say 1500 RPM?
No, that's OK.

For an unknown reason I saw that engine 4 was permanently featherd ??? Also with the feather button in normal position ! By switching feather on/off several times,(looking outside to confirm), engine 4 remained unfeatherd ??? !!! That allowed me to perform the normal start ;-)
Learning Curve: CHECK YOUR UN-FEATHER POSITION BEFORE STARTING ENGINE. Problem Solved! (For now). :D

Guus.

TreeTops
Master Sergeant

Post by TreeTops »

Good to hear you are back in action. These types of posts always come in handy years down the track when the same thing happens to someone and they go searching the archives.
i have a habit of trawling mostly the B377 archives and its always amazing the things you find.
Cheers
Trev

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”