Detonation Glitch?

A Living Legend
new reply
subnorminalnt
Airman Basic

Detonation Glitch?

Post by subnorminalnt »

I decided to come back to FSX to fly around in the B-17. I noticed that after a flight when everything was shut down I noticed that the engines had signs of detonation in the maintenance hangar. The detonation started and kept damaging the engines when the aircraft was shut down. After an hour all the engines need to be replaced. Furthermore, my FPS was at around 10-15 when it is usually at 30+, I tried reinstalling the aircraft multiple times but that didn't fix the problem. The only things I changed were setting the cowl flaps to open for cold and dark start in one of the files. Lastly, I tend to forget to turn of the carb air cleaner.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Detonation Glitch?

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
When you installed the B17 , did you make sure it was fully updated.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling , can sometimes cause more issues , could you give more info .
1/. Did you have any 3rd party addon weather engine running at the time.
2/. Did you let the engines cool down before shut down.
3/. Was your co-pilot managing anything at the time , or was you doing everything.
regards alan. 8)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

as Alan mentioned, can you please let us know if you where all updated or how you reinstalled as that can cause more issues and reinstalling should never be step 1 of troubleshooting an issue, its more akin to using grenades to fish with hehe. :twisted:

If you go to this location;
\FSX\A2A\B17\Update

You can delete the Update folder itself OR the client.wyc file and then re-run the updater;
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=57819

For the Detonation, a light damage like that is ok, its normal enough for engines so don't think you need to fix stuff immediately. Check your procedure for shutting down as that can cause the issue you are seeing if you are getting it every single shutdown.

cheers,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

subnorminalnt
Airman Basic

Post by subnorminalnt »

I did not update the aircraft until now.
I let my copilot run everything during the flight.
I run Active Sky as my weather engine.
I am unsure what I should exactly be doing to shut down the aircraft.

The detonation also sometimes happens before I start the aircraft. It eventually destroys the engine if I let the sim run for an hour or so.

I will see if updating the aircraft has solved the issue.

Also, is there a way to get the ladders and chocks showing without pressing the cold and dark button?

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi subnorminalnt.
In a word no , the cold dark button is the only way to get ladders and cocks to show.
As for detonation happening prior engine start , i found on occasions , that ASN was the culprit , this for me usually happened at weekends , my theory on this is that at weekends some weather stations go off line for updates (FACT), IF ASN started downloading weather from a station going off line , it would only get part of the weather , then it would change this incomplete downloaded weather to FSX compatable weather which would be corrupted due to it being incomplete , this in turn would corrupt simconnect as ASN uses this , which A2A aircraft relie on , and as a result this corrupted weather would effect different A2A aircraft in different ways , on the B17 it seems to distroy the engines , i have had same issues in past , since i have been flying with the 91st bombardment group , the missions are flown with a set weather , that recreates the weather they had on a particular mission , not using ASN , and have had none of these issues of distroyed engines , but when i did the HOPS , real weather from ASN was used , and on a few occasions i suffered destroyed engines because of it .
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”