De-ice/Anti-Ice questions

A Living Legend
new reply
Masterius
Senior Airman

De-ice/Anti-Ice questions

Post by Masterius »

I have a couple of questions regarding the de-ice and anti-ice systems.
  • "A toggle switch on the side wall controls the two propeller anti-icer pumps" Ummm . . . the only anti-icer control switch I can find is on the floor, not the side wall.
  • "Two rheostats on the floor panel control the speed of the pump motors and may be used to turn the motors off if desired. Normally the rheostats should be left adjusted to a predetermined rate of flow and the pump motors turned on or off by means of the toggle switch." Can't find those at all. (They should be located just left of the surface de-icer control lever switch.)
  • Wing de-ice valve: no explanation at all in the A2A B-17 Accusim manual. However, the actual B-17 manual reads: "(3) DE-ICER CONTROL. - The de-icer valve on the floor panel controls the operatIon of the surface de-icer shoes. In the "ON" position It starts the deicer distributor and connects the exhaust pressure from both vacuum pumps, and the suction from one vacuum pump to the distributor valve. In the "OFF" position the distributor motor is turned off and the pressure from the vacuum pumps is bypassed overboard. Suction remains connected to the distributor valve in order to keep the de-icer shoes deflated. "
So . . . do these serve any real purpose in the sim, or are they just "window dressing"?

Zacke
Staff Sergeant

Re: De-ice/Anti-Ice questions

Post by Zacke »

Hey Masterius,

I can't tell you much about the technical details of the 17's de- and anti-iceing functions but I recommend to read the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36886&p=278488&hil ... ge#p278488
There's a freeware addon that adds more realistic iceing behaviour to the sim and the B-17 works very well with that one.

Regards,
Zacke

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Chevalier.
The ice rheostats are not modelled in the A2A B17 , in the sim iceing is modelled with effects on aircraft performance, you just dont see it on the wings , so dont forget to turn the ice switches on when needed .
The reason that they may have been omitted is performance in the sim , remember the B17 was originally done for FS2004 , upgraded for FSX , a new B17 is hopefully in the works for P3Dv4 , maybe modelled with more realistic iceing controls , but that is an assumption on my part , only A2A can answer this .
regards alan. 8)

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

Zacke wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 01:33 I can't tell you much about the technical details of the 17's de- and anti-iceing functions but I recommend to read the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=36886&p=278488&hil ... ge#p278488
There's a freeware addon that adds more realistic iceing behaviour to the sim and the B-17 works very well with that one.
I've run across that earlier, but thanks for mentioning it. 'Tis very much appreciated! I've downloaded and installed "Ice Gage", and looking forwards to seeing how it works.
alan CXA651 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 06:34 Hi Chevalier.
The ice rheostats are not modelled in the A2A B17 , in the sim iceing is modelled with effects on aircraft performance, you just dont see it on the wings , so dont forget to turn the ice switches on when needed .
The reason that they may have been omitted is performance in the sim , remember the B17 was originally done for FS2004 , upgraded for FSX , a new B17 is hopefully in the works for P3Dv4 , maybe modelled with more realistic iceing controls , but that is an assumption on my part , only A2A can answer this .
regards alan. 8)
Thanks for the clarifications! It would be nice if some omitted features --like the more detailed ice controls-- would be added. My personal desire would be a fully-functional Norden bombsight.

DavidW
Airman First Class

Post by DavidW »

Masterius wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 00:52 Thanks for the clarifications! It would be nice if some omitted features --like the more detailed ice controls-- would be added. My personal desire would be a fully-functional Norden bombsight.
If you are interested this website, dedicated to the 91st Bombardment Group 'H', who fly A2A B-17G Flying Fortresses have a link to download and install a Norden Bombsight into the 'plane.

91st Bombardment Group (H)

I hope this helps. I need to practice my non-existent formation flying skills before I consider joining them.
ImageImage
ImageImage

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi David.
Chevalier is already a member of the 91st bombgroup , as am i , we teach the skill required for the B17 as well as flak and damage it can do to the B17 , i am one of the trainers , and we fly on joinFS with TS3 to chat to one and other , if you wish to join please feel free to do so , the main aim is to have fun while we recreate the missions the 91st bomb group did in ww2.
As for the norden , it is not a fully functioning bombsight , but its the closest we have in FSX/P3D , a lot of the group are awaiting the P3Dv4 upgrade of A2A B17 , i fly FSXA so have the accu sim B17 , we can use the aeroplane heaven B17 but its not a patch on A2A B17 , the A2A non accusim B17 works in P3Dv4 , but it cannot use the pukka module , this is the module that can cause your aircraft to be damage by flak .
regards Alan(alan a dale)Cottrill vCol CO of the 324th FS 91st BG . 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”