B17 Compatability

A Living Legend
new reply
creamcot
Airman Basic

B17 Compatability

Post by creamcot »

I am totally confused about whether and if so how the B17 can be made to work in P3d v3.4. I usually buy my Sim add-ons from Just Flight here in the UK as they have been very helpful in the past. They sell the B17 for FSX only.I am not even sure if there is a P3d v3 version elsewhere. I have seen references on various sites about getting it installed into P3d v3 using a dummy FSX .exe which sounds a little strange. And yet at the end of last year A2A seem to have released an update applicable to all versions of P3d so it must be possible. I do not want to pay out a not inconsiderable sum if it will not work or requires IT skills beyond mine to achieve this
Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: B17 Compatability

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello and welcome to the forums.

At the time of writing, the B-17 is only available for FSX including the Steam Edition. However, a native 64-bit version for Prepar3D v4 is planned.

Thanks,
Nick

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The B17 can be installed into P3Dv3 , but at your own risk , i have mine in FSX A but i know some who have it working in P3Dv3 , but if you can wait till the updated version for P3Dv4 B17 then all the better for you.
regards alan. 8)

cro24
Airman First Class

Post by cro24 »

The B17 run under P3DV4, but without accusim.
you must install it in the "aircraft" directory of P3DV4, and not in "Documents \ Prepar3D v4 Add-ons \ A2A"
CM ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F / CPU Intel I7 7700K 4,2 GHz / GTX 1080 STRIX 8 Go/ Mem 4 X 8Go DDR4 skill ripjaws 2400 / FS2020 / FFB2 / quadrant & rudder saiteck / Trackir 5 / A2A: I am waiting :cry:

Warbirds
Technical Sergeant

Post by Warbirds »

I have it flying in P3D4 but would like to know if anyone has a fix for the windows yet? Also the throttles do not move with the joystick controls.
Paul Grubich 2018
Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I just looked at my P3D V2.5 sim objects folder and see that I have the A2A B-17G installed there.
Since P3D V3 is still a 32-bit application there should be no reason for it not to run OK.

To install it you may need to fake the installer out and create a dummy FSX.exe file in the main P3D directory. Just make a copy of the P3D.exe file and rename it FSX.exe. (I see that I have such a dummy file in my P3D V2.5 directory).

I am away from my home machine so I can't fire it up and check it out.

NOTE to the other responders here: The OP is talking about P3D V3.4.1, a 32-bit app. NOT P3D V4, the 64-bit app.

Paul

creamcot
Airman Basic

Post by creamcot »

I am most grateful for all comments posted. As much as I admire the B17 -I was fortunate to see inside Sally B several years ago at Duxford UK-I may now await the possibility of an update. I resign myself to the fact that every sim update results in most of my add-ons not working!

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

Warbirds wrote:I have it flying in P3D4 but would like to know if anyone has a fix for the windows yet? Also the throttles do not move with the joystick controls.
Paul,

I have just "installed" into prepar3d v4.4 as against "copied" and the throttles do move. Following the install I "copied" my whole fsx b-17 directory with all my installed liveries over the install following which the throttles did not move. I then reinstalled and the throttles were good again. I will check the windows for you.

At the moment I have not found anything not to work. The light shadows on the panel look nice.

Cheers
gibo

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

gibo wrote:
Warbirds wrote:I have it flying in P3D4 but would like to know if anyone has a fix for the windows yet? Also the throttles do not move with the joystick controls.
Paul,

I have just "installed" into prepar3d v4.4 as against "copied" and the throttles do move. Following the install I "copied" my whole fsx b-17 directory with all my installed liveries over the install following which the throttles did not move. I then reinstalled and the throttles were good again. I will check the windows for you.

At the moment I have not found anything not to work. The light shadows on the panel look nice.

Cheers
gibo
Do all the sound effects work? switches, engine starter, etc
AKA "Memey"

creamcot
Airman Basic

Post by creamcot »

Now I have P3d v4 so I might try what recent posts have mentioned but that means I have to expend money on a product that may not work or not work properly and with no official support to rely on.
Along with the British Lancaster (where Just Flight have done a wonderful job) the B17 is probably the most iconic heavy bomber of WW2. Why on earth does someone not either create or update a version that will work out of the box for P3d v4? Or is there someone other than A2A who does? Probably not a good question to ask on an A2A forum!

HE11DUDE04
Staff Sergeant

Post by HE11DUDE04 »

creamcot wrote:Now I have P3d v4 so I might try what recent posts have mentioned but that means I have to expend money on a product that may not work or not work properly and with no official support to rely on.
Along with the British Lancaster (where Just Flight have done a wonderful job) the B17 is probably the most iconic heavy bomber of WW2. Why on earth does someone not either create or update a version that will work out of the box for P3d v4? Or is there someone other than A2A who does? Probably not a good question to ask on an A2A forum!
https://www.aeroplaneheaven.com/product_b17.php It doesn't look nearly as good tho
AKA "Memey"

gpf
Airman First Class

Post by gpf »

I have successfully ported the B-17 into Prepar3d V4.4 but I can't get the throttles, mixture or props to adjust with a controller. Has anyone been able to do this?

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”