B-17 Detonation

A Living Legend
new reply
FireRescue85
Senior Airman

B-17 Detonation

Post by FireRescue85 »

I keep getting "Signs of recent detonation" for my engines after hitting "cold and dark". I have the most recent update installed. Any advice?
Fire Marshall, Firefighter/Emergency Medical Tech.

B-17G
B377
L-049

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Re: B-17 Detonation

Post by FireRescue85 »

Update: did a series of start ups and shut downs in warm weather to try and replicate the issue, but now instead of saying engine detonation, E1 generator keeps burning out after every startup :shock: (For the purpose of testing, I would go from cold and dark and hit autostart). I think my aircraft is just cursed.

Edit: Full course (curse) of events:

So I'm working on flying from Nevada to south america, no where in particular, just somewhere around the Argentina area. Right now I'm currently just north of the Panama Canal, and can't seem to get off the ground.

I landed and shut down, and everything was normal. Upon starting up again at the same airport, my engines said "signs of detonation" during my pre flight check. I didn't think anything of it other than being odd, and took off as normal. Roughly 5 min into the flight, I started getting vibrations and "E2 has some problems". So I landed and checked. E2 was leaking oil and blew a cylinder. Ok, no big deal. Fixed and ready to go...again. And again, 5 min into the flight "E4 has some problems", so we pull a 180 and land again. Now this engine is leaking oil. Mind you, oil pressure and temp has been in the green since starting this saga from Nevada on a brand new aircraft. Engines only have about 20 hours on them. Alrighty. E4 leaks are fixed and off we go annnnnd for the love of God now E1 has issues with strong vibrations. Land for what I hope is the final time just to see that E1 blew a cylinder.

Quick note on my flying: I try to keep all gauges in the green, and I don't stress the engines. Co Pilot handles the intercoolers and RPMS, I keep control of the cowl flaps. Cylinder heads usually stay around 180, and Skippy does a good job of keeping the turbos cool. So, I don't think it was stress causing these issues. Being that this is a long trip, I have been taking off on reduced power and making slow climbs to not overstress the engines.

So, back to the curse that is my aircraft: All engines were scrapped and replaced, and the flight sim was exited to let the system rest. I started it back up, hit cold and dark, annnnd engines had detonation damage. *twitch*. Engines got scrapped again, I started it up, hit cold and dark, and the damage came back. So, I reinstalled the updates (which said all aircraft were up to date), started it up again and attempted to recreate the damage.

Once the aircraft was running, I hit cold and dark, and waited a minute or so. No detonation damage!...But E1 lost a generator. Ok, no problem. Fix that, hit auto start to get her up and running, let her idle a minute or so once all systems are up, and then hit cold and dark to see if the engines detonate randomly. Nope! No more detonation buttttt E1 blew another generator. This happened another 2 times before I realized that the engines won't detonate anymore, but E1 is going to keep eating generators. :shock: So. My aircraft is either cursed, or my crew really wants to stay in Panama.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

You need to insure that your CHT's are below 190 C before shutting down. Otherwise you will have
the probability of detonation.

Paul

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

I did, during shutdowns the cylinder head temp wasn't above 150 during any of these times.

B-17G
B377
L-049

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

That is very strange, as is the Generator issue. I've never seen anything like that in all the 1750 hours I have
on my B-17G.

A note on forcing an update. To make the updater do it's thing you need to go into the A2A folder
in the FSX root directory and then in the B17 folder there you will find an folder named 'Update'.
Inside that folder is the file "client.wyc".

Delete that file and then run the update. It should then see the B17 as needing the update and do it.

Paul

FireRescue85
Senior Airman

Post by FireRescue85 »

Thanks Baron, I'll give it a try. It's odd. I've been flying A2A for over a year and never had this much trouble with parts going bad.

B-17G
B377
L-049

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”