KBFI -6 difficult eng start

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

KBFI -6 difficult eng start

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i downloaded and installed 2 new skins from mikes repaints , sellected pistol packing mama/liberty belle selected pistol packing mama for my first flight of the day , set it up cold/dark at KBFI at the g22 heavy stand , ASN / twichtv running , the temp from atis was -6 , so knew i was going to have fun starting these old tired engines , boy was that an under statement , with great difficulty i coaxed them into life , after warm up i was still not happy with eng 3 oil pressure , it was lower than it should be , rather than risk eng failure on t/o i shut down all engines , and visited the hangar for the second time , only fault showing was same as first visit , worn rh gear , engines where ok , decided to change oil pump on number 3 even though it showed serviceable .
Tried a restart , but engines refused to fire up , so hit cold/dark again , to get the engines cooled down more , this did the trick , but still hard to start , once warmed , i taxiied to runway 31L , did mag/prop check , lined up , did final checks and took off , flight uneventful , landing pleased the copilot , only fault on shutdown was still the worn rh gear.
video of pistol packing mama : - https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107783851
next flight will be in liberty belle.
Well the engine start in -1 temps was just as difficult to coax them into life , eventually got all 4 engines running , had a message in red again saying eng 1 had problems in the shift+2 window just after startup , but it disappeared shortly after it ranup , flight of 2.5 hrs without the engines missing a beat , but the big question is , how many more starts and engine hrs can i get from them , before i have no choice but to overhaul them , still the only fault in the hangar is worn rh gear .
video of liberty belle :- https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107813630
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”