KBFI to KSFO

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

KBFI to KSFO

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today had to use oil thinning on engine startup at KBFI , and keep engines ticking over at 1500 instead of 1000 , to stop the engines quiting untill warmed up , weather calm at KBFI with a cloud base just over 4000ft , kept aircraft below cloud base , for a scenic trip , towards the sea , cloud base dropped while going up the river channel heading towards the open sea so decended to 2000ft , at the open sea instead of heading back to KBFI i decided to go down the coast to KSFO , weather reasonable untill i got near KSFO , then the weather suddenly without warning went from reasonable scattered clouds , to severe overcast , decended to 500 ft just got a glimse of the sea , then the weather seemed to close in again , something , must have caused a weather corruption , , can only assume twitch used up so much internet band with , it interfered with weather download , so because i was running out of fuel , as well as no vis , decided to turn the ASN off , climbed gently to 2000 , turned ASN on again , initially the weather seemed to give what i had while flying down coast , then instantly change to no vis again , so turned it off again , landed at KSFO , on shutdown , i turned ASN on again , had rain , but cloud base at 3000ft , had it given this over the last 50nm i could have kept ASN on .
My troublesome tired engines kept going without a hitch , surprisingly and the flight was 5.1hrs , did get calls from copilot as we got near KSFO low on fuel we need to land soon , as i entered sisco bay he called eng 3 low fuel , as i was turning finals he called eng 4 low fuel.
in the hangar , only thing needing repair was worn rh gear , otherwise no snags, still no idea what is going wrong on number 1 engine , but oil is on the max green band , rest of engines are just below this.
oil went down to 86/87% inbd/otbd during the trip , fuel on shutdown tank 1 52gal/12% tank 2 44gal/20% tank 3 38gal/18% tank 4 39gal/9% tanks 2/3 feed empty.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107596138
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”