KBFI out and return low altitude to stay below clouds

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

KBFI out and return low altitude to stay below clouds

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Did a flight in the B17 KBFI t/o out return landing , flight time 2.1 hrs , the engines 1/2 are in fair condition 3/4 in good condition , no faults showing in the hangar.
On startup , i had a momentary message in red , stateing problem with number 1 , both engines 1/2 where smokeing badly on warmup , once engines where warm , i did a mag check , then prop check on all engines , all ok , then taxiied out to runway 13R , lined up , final checks showed all was ok , so took off , during the entire flight , i kept a close eye on engines 1/2 , slightly more vibration from them , but all the flight was ok , no problems manifested , landed , and after shutdown , the hangar once again showed no faults , engines 1/2 are the youngest engines , something is failing , but as yet nothing showing , so cannot fix it yet.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107171589
regards alan. 8)

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Re: KBFI out and return low altitude to stay below clouds

Post by danb12 »

Alan,

Nice video and good landing.

Hopefully the engines will hold out long enough not to cause a problem in mid air, although I had one of my most exciting flights when I had a run away turbo and had to shut down and coax her back home on 3 engines... she flies quite well to be fair!

I have about 69hrs on all engines and 99hrs on the airframe and I always look forward to something going wrong to add to the challenge! That's the joy of a sim and even more so with A2A!

Dan

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Danb12.
I have had a wastegate failure on number 4 , i knew before T/O i had problems with number 4 , as it was vibrating badly on start/warm up , but all was ok in the hangar prior to flight , i was recreating the shuttle flight from hendersons field , near to KSFO , its disused in FSX , and i flew to PHNL , part of which is the famous HICKEM field when the b17s flew into the japanese attack on pearl harbour , you can spot a wastegate failure , as the manifold is a runaway , i , immediatly retarded throttle to idle , manifold came back into the green , so kept it at idle as a spare generator , as i was over 3hrs into my flight , and nothing but ocean below me , landed at PHNL with number 4 shutdown/feathered just in case i accidently caught the throttle while landing , if you want to push the aircraft and yourself to the limits , try it , you are arriving with very little fuel in the tanks , and you start with bombbay tanks/tokyo tanks/main tanks full , the aircraft only just takes off from henderson field struggling to get airbourne.
regards alan. 8)
P.S. thanks for the complment on the landing , i have found that 110knts is a nice approach speed , then retard throttles so at the runway threshhold you are doing about 100knts , then flare gently , 9 out of 10 times you will get a gentle landing.
Also i have a CH yoke/rudder peddles/2 quad throttles , so i can control throttles/props/mixtures of each individual engine , makes for far better control of the aircraft , but it was not easy to set up in FSUIPC , took a few days to figure out how to get individual prop control , and then i needed a bit of help.

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

That sounds good... if I get a bit of time I may give it a go!

Not a problem about the compliment... I haven't flown her for a while and started again a few days ago, need to polish up on my landings...

Need to sort my elevator trim out too as we wereceive discussing in the other thread. It still won't work :-(

Hey ho!

Keep flying!
Dan

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Been flying the B17 out of KBFI about two flights a day to see if i can figure out what is wrong with engine 1 , all engines are smoking badly on startup , 3/4 very quickly get rid of the smoke and start running clean , not so with engines 1/2 they stay smoking badly untill they get to temp , engine 1 vibrates slightly more than rest , but sofar no faults showing in the hangar , after my last flight yesterday , which was only about 1 hr , came in at same approach and flare speeds , but instead of the soft smoothe landings , this was a bit heavy , not that bad , but enough to make the copilot grunt , now i have to be carful on landings as my right gear is showing as worn , now to see how long i can keep these tied engines going , before they start failing , along with that right gear , also last flight yesterday was -5 dewpoint and took two attempts on eng 3/4 to coax them into life , along with visits to the hangar for plug cleaning , also first time on engine start up , that i have needed to use the fuel thinning , so had to watch i did not exceed 4 min of use .
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107384385
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/107447017
regards alan. 8)

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

Sounds like you had your hands full Alan, makes my 40minute flight with surprise cloud lower than expected a bit boring!

Sounds good though! Keep us posted regarding the engines!

Dan

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Danb12.
No flight in the B17 is boring , you have music / speeches / and ammusing crew quips , plus the faults/failures that show now and again , to see if you are still alert , i just love the old girl .
regards alan. 8)

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

I do too... I think she is probably my favourite A2A aircraft... I do like the other warbirds but there is something about multi engine that gets me!

Dan

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Danb12.
Did you know the B17 was NOT originally designed to be a bomber , it was designed originally to guard the USA coast line , from any invaders , hence the name flying fortress , like a castle in the sky , bristling with guns , so it had no bomb bay , then as the directive changed , they modified the b17 with WING mounted bomb rails , after that it was modified again with the bomb bay and wing mounts removed , i only found this out , when i purchased a B17G magazine , that gave this info , it was a very interesting magazine.
regards alan. 8)

danb12
Staff Sergeant

Post by danb12 »

Oh right... that is interesting... there was a magazine out a couple of weeks ago which I meant to pick p but didn't that I wish I had now! Might be the same one?

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”