HOW LOW CAN YOU GO

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
haveing seen a thread in the b17 about low passes , i decided to have a go , it aint easy , try it yourselves , i took off from KBFI , flaps/gear up, then set the eng boost man press from 8 t/o to 5 , set rpm to 24 with prop levers , keep mixture in auto rich, then with throttles i set 25 man press , all speed an manouvers are then controlled by your ail/ele rud , with flaps and gear retracted , the challenge is take off at KBFI from the active with ASN weather , active for me this time was runway 31 , you fly the circuit and once lined up as if to land , dive slowly towards the runway , your speed as you level up should be about 200 to 250knts , HOW LOW DARE YOU GO , it took a few passes but each pass i was lower than the last , it looked like i was going to hit the runway , but on the fsx playback from nearest tower position , it looked like i still had 20ft to spare , from cockpit the alt was almost on zero feet,see vid , and see if you can beat it, OH one more thing after the low flypast , you have to land the aircraft intact,theres also hills and buildings to avoid at both ends of this airport.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/101077989
regards alan. 8) :lol:

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: HOW LOW CAN YOU GO

Post by DHenriques_ »

alan CXA651 wrote:Hi.
haveing seen a thread in the b17 about low passes , i decided to have a go , it aint easy , try it yourselves , i took off from KBFI , flaps/gear up, then set the eng boost man press from 8 t/o to 5 , set rpm to 24 with prop levers , keep mixture in auto rich, then with throttles i set 25 man press , all speed an manouvers are then controlled by your ail/ele rud , with flaps and gear retracted , the challenge is take off at KBFI from the active with ASN weather , active for me this time was runway 31 , you fly the circuit and once lined up as if to land , dive slowly towards the runway , your speed as you level up should be about 200 to 250knts , HOW LOW DARE YOU GO , it took a few passes but each pass i was lower than the last , it looked like i was going to hit the runway , but on the fsx playback from nearest tower position , it looked like i still had 20ft to spare , from cockpit the alt was almost on zero feet,see vid , and see if you can beat it, OH one more thing after the low flypast , you have to land the aircraft intact,theres also hills and buildings to avoid at both ends of this airport.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/101077989
regards alan. 8) :lol:
In the sim of course, one can "play" with low passes; one of the reasons we provide the maintenance hangar :-))

In real world aviation it's a different matter;

We have an axiom in the airshow business that postulates the following;
"You can never beat the record for a low altitude pass. You can only tie it."

Dudley Henriques

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

I love it Dudley!!

I've always liked the old Fighter Pilot's missile analogy that "The ground has a PK approaching 1.0"

:)
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Alan,

you may enjoy this thread...

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... -Go-(2015)

D
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Killratio wrote:I love it Dudley!!

I've always liked the old Fighter Pilot's missile analogy that "The ground has a PK approaching 1.0"

:)

LOL !!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i had another attempt at how low i could go , this time on a couple of passes , i went as low as you can go , without breaking anything , i stopped the play back , just to check i had not struck the ground , as the crew made a comment at a vital moment , this made me jump , and i pulled back on the stick , on replay i had not struck the ground , but it was inchs between prop tips and ground , but this was only for a brief moment , on approach to landing the co-pilot chirpped we had a problem , just after the gear/flaps where down for landing , a quick glance at the inst revealed nothing obvious , continued my decent and landing , but with carefull scanning of inst for any problems , on shutdown it proved we had lost a cylinder in no1 eng , the engines had never been pushed hard , so no idea as to cause.
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/101397597
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”