Boeing Field KBFI to Hamilton Field SRF

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Boeing Field KBFI to Hamilton Field SRF

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today i thought i would recreate one of the B17 ferry flights , this one goes from the boeing field KBFI to Hamilton Field SRF , it was a pre dawn start , weather was reasonable , hanger preflight checks , showed aircraft was fit for flight , trip would be about 3.5 hrs , and the aircraft fuelled with 10200lbs .
I started twitch on my laptop , which has a slight delay over actual flight , so i could hopefully see if any editing was done by twich.
I started with aircraft cold/dark, did the pre start checks , and started the engines, once warm , i taxiied to runway 13r , which happens to be close to the heavy gate , then i did my mag checks,and prop checks , then as i put the props back to fine , i had a major problem , with engines 3/4 , they could not be controlled by the throttles , and ended up shutting them down, if ASN starts up and the weather station EGLL is on line , like it was on this startup , i can expect problems , and i did , so i shut ASN down , tried starting eng 3 but still uncontrollable , shut all engs down , and checked the hanger , and found a No 3 Waste Gate Failure , fixed this , not sure if ASN triggered this failure , or if it was a random A2A failure , that just happened at same time.
Once fixed i found i had to restart FSX to get the ASN to give my flight plan weather .
I then was able to start my flight at last , enroute i noticed Eng 3 cowl was vibrating a bit more than the rest , but gauges showed no problems , on reaching hamilton , and shutting down , the fluids showed eng 3 is consuming more oil than the rest , yet no fault showing in the hanger as yet , this is a bit of a concern , as the next intended ferry flight is from Hamilton Field to Hickam Field Hawaii , now part of PHNL, some 2000nm over water .

https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/96456559

regards alan. 8)

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Re: Boeing Field KBFI to Hamilton Field SRF

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

I have planned this route out within the last week. It is a flight I intend to take on in the next few months. Looking forward to your experience with this route. Maybe you want have any zero's welcome you to the islands.

Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi Chris.
This original ferry route of the b17s was with d and e models , one of my worrys is eng 3 oil consumtion , and according to FSX flight planner it recons the fuel consumtion on trip , is more then the aircraft can carry , so it will be interesting , in more ways than one.
Also this will be a long time in the office , and i will not be able to use twitch for entire trip , so might do two streams , ie takeoff , and if i make it , the landing or ditching.
Regards alan. 8)

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Alan: Hey, I'd replace the engine. If it was 1942 and you were really flying across the Pacific, I don't think you'd just hope for the best. That engine would be pulled. Especially if your crew chief was flying along with you.

IMHO.

Seeya
ATB (the "A" is Alan)

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

The 91st Bombardment Group flies these routes during the "Hop" program, designed to familiarize new members with the operation of the A2A B-17G though 5 phases. The last three involve flying hops with 1, 2 and 3 other B-17s as one progresses through the 135 hops.

We also commemorate the Dec 6,7 1941 flight of B-17's flying from Hamilton Field to Hickam Field, leaving the evening of the 6th and arriving early on the morning of the 7th. Even with the A2A B-17G model, oil can be a problem but more so fuel, if adverse winds are encountered. On one of those flights we had one pilot arrive with 10-12 gals of fuel in each tank!

Our Phase 4 hops cover the Pacific. Other than the Hamilton-Hickam route, they are not historical but hit a number of the atolls and islands to the SW and West of the main Hawaiian islands. The latter part of that phase has a flight from Honolulu to Adak, and subsequent hops go down the coast of Alaska and Canada and ending at Boeing Field.

We also have hops that cross the North Atlantic to arrive at our UK base, Bassingbourn, and a South Atlantic crossing from Pinto Martins Intl. to Leopold Sedar Senghor.

We also honor those crews that flew the C-47's to drop troops the evening before D-Day by flying the routes of Mission Albany on that date.

We fire up our Lancasters to fly the Dambusters Raid, low and in the dark to the Ruhr dams.

Each month we fly one or two of the missions the 91st flew from Bassingbourn. We also have 'campaigns' where we fly the A2A P-47 fast and low covering most of Italy on a sightseeing tour.

Yesterday we flew our C-47's in the China-Burma-India theater flying the "King" route. Next Saturday we fly the "Love" route.

Those are just a few of the various historical and 'fun' flying events that we host. We fly on the Digital Theme Park servers and use Teamspeak3 for comms. if any of this interests you, pop on over to our site.

http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”