mission of madness b17 through the grand canyon

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

mission of madness b17 through the grand canyon

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Today take off was from KGCN , intension was to get to KLAS , via the grand canyon , i have done this in the texan , not sure its possible in the b17 , but i had to try , my first attempt has failed , dont know if i lost concentration , or if manouver was to big an ask , but it struck the mountainside as i let the speed drop to much on one of the bends , after about 50 min from start up to end of flight , it sure got the crew complaining , over some of the severe manouvers needed on the sharp turns , trying to keep the speed above stall yet not to quick was very hard , think i need to try again , some of the coments from the crew had me laughing , if i had been high enough , they might have baled out , and who could blame them.
regards alan. 8) :wink:
P.S. i was videoing the flight, but thats now been deleted , the idea was to prove that i had done it,if anyone fances trying this , be warned its not going to be a walk in the park,and expect a few failed attempts trying.
Last edited by alan CXA651 on 30 Sep 2016, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: mission of madness

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
My second attempt i succeeded but only just , at one point i came to close to the river , and i think the props had a different type of prop wash , if you know what i mean , and i think the wingtip brushed the mountain at one point , but once i had shut down at klas , the only comment in the hangar was that the engines showed signs of pre detonation, yet rpm was 1500 when i shut down , unless i did not allow a long enough cool down time , before i shut them down.
I started with the three main tanks full , and had 69% fuel left once parked.
I was laughing at the crew comments , that i had never herd before, i also have to clean the aircraft , as a crew member was sick three times during the hard manouvers , i had to make , in order to miss the rocks.
Heres the twitch link of the flight:-
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/92037691
regards alan. 8) :wink:

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: mission of madness

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I didn't watch the complete video because I don't have that much time. Interesting flight though. Looks like fun. But your crew didn't sound to happy :wink:

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: mission of madness b17 through the grand canyon

Post by bladerunner900 »

Hmm. I wonder if my Iris Vulcan will run in P3D. :twisted:

Edit. 8th October 2016:
Yes it does. :mrgreen:

Loads of aileron, rudder and power got me 90 degrees really quickly. Had to be careful not to accidentally do a barrel roll while flying in the canyon. :wink:

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: mission of madness b17 through the grand canyon

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
The video i made has sadly been deleted by twitch , as they do after a set time , if anyone fancys a duo run down the canyon on multi play , then let me know , but i would need help getting on multi play as i have never done that before , and you cannot do these antics on vatsim or ivao , its frowned upon and could get you banned from the networks.
regards alan. 8)

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”