Cabin temperature, in celsius?

A Living Legend
new reply
heartbreak61
Airman

Cabin temperature, in celsius?

Post by heartbreak61 »

Maybe I just missed the gauges but can anyone point me is there any gauges that shows detailed cabin temperature in celsius or fahrenheit? I can only found OAT gauge on the F/O side. Crew's report panel only show cabin condition like cool, warm, etc.

Just curious about this stuff, lol.

Thank you.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Cabin temperature, in celcius?

Post by Jacques »

I think the only indications you receive are the crew reports you found. I haven't seen any gauge for temperature on the B-17. If you're curious, there are lots of anecdotal indications online of just how unbelievably cold conditions were for the crews!

Here is a ball turret gunners diary that mentions temps of -53C in one entry!

http://www.486th.org/Photos/Letters2/kooi.htm

heartbreak61
Airman

Post by heartbreak61 »

Well, I was doing a test to fly B17 on FL360 and the report said that the cabin temperature was cold even though I already put the heater to maximum level (OAT was around -45°C, I believe). Just curious how cold was it inside the cabin.

Another thing, I'm the kind of the guy who starts to shiver at 21°C if I don't wear any jacket. I want to keep the cabin temp comfortable for myself ;)

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I remember reading somewhere that the pilots had the best heat, at least somewhat directed onto them. There was no insulation in the aircraft and many openings directly to the outside air so if it was -45C oitside, it wasn't necessarily far off that inside! Early on the crews wore heavy shearling lined flightsuits. Later on, electrically heated undergarments were available for the crew.

I agree, hotter is better!! I always turn up the electric rheostat beside the pilot's seat...and I try to not forget the heat for the guys in the back! :D

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”