can anyone explain this

A Living Legend
new reply
alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

can anyone explain this

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Just done a flight from KBFI to KHVR , i had ASN on for most of flight , but was giveing 700 oc weather with light rain , and vis was actually zero , so turned the weather off , for the landing , i was approaching at 110knts flaps/gear down , brake pressure in the green , touch down was not light nor was it heavy , then this happened .
https://www.twitch.tv/cxa651/v/62959834
regards alan. 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: can anyone explain this

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Hi Alan,

To me it looks like as if your brakes were locked. then the Fortress nosed over. That's what my planes behave like when I crash into the ground with the sims crash detection off! So my question is is your crash detection in FSX off?
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Yes crash detection was off as i normally fly online , and is advisable , because of hidden object collision , but my feet where resting on the peddles but brakes NOT activated at touchdown , altough i was not far off applying them gently , and i had very slight back pressure on yoke .
Had my brakes been on , i would have understood why it happened , but normally i wait until i have touched down , and start retracting flaps , as i gently apply the brakes , and ease the throttles back , go through same proceedure with all the b17 landings , and this is first time this as happened , but i did notice on the replay , sparks comming from the main wheels , i did not have this view on landing as i was in the VC , this is a video of the replay , from nearest tower view , to try and see why it happened.
On going to the hangar , the only damage displayed was l/r gear needed replacing , but on taxi out at KBFI i had a noisy right brake , just wondering if it might have siezed on during u/c retraction , but if that was the case , then i would have expected seeing a brake unit fault , as well as the l/r gear faults when in the hangar.
regards alan. 8)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I have the crash detection off too for the same reason. Hidden objects that cause collisions.

Well I'm not saying you applied brakes but maybe for some reason the sim got confused when you turned ASN off and the brakes were on even with you not applying them!?

Interesting case
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Pilkatron
Airman Basic

Post by Pilkatron »

I need one explanation here. Could someone explain me, are gauges in b 17 connected directly on power lines, or just it is not modeled, like it is on p-51, or T-6, for exemple, cylinder, oil temps, and fuel/oil pressure gauges lie on "zero" and when battery is on, needles jump?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Do you mean if the gauges show values with the battery and the inverters off?

Pilkatron
Airman Basic

Post by Pilkatron »

Yup, i thought right that!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I can't check my sim right now. Do you think the gauges are displaying something or did you observe that?

Pilkatron
Airman Basic

Post by Pilkatron »

Piper_EEWL wrote:I can't check my sim right now. Do you think the gauges are displaying something or did you observe that?
I think about fact that gauges showing for example cylinder head temp, or carb air temp, no metter how it is, but true value, when batteries and inverters are all off. I ask is that same in real b-17, or gauges have to show nothing until power is turned on?

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”