Control Setup

A Living Legend
new reply
MarvK
Airman First Class

Control Setup

Post by MarvK »

Originally posted in the Lounge forum, but probably should have posted it here first.

Having recently installed the paid version of FSUIPC4, I'm wondering how you all set up your controllers for a 4 engine plane. I have all CHProducts, yoke, pedals, and throttle quadrant. I'm getting some odd behavior such as jittering handles, levers, and yoke. In my B-17 setup, I can't set my prop levers properly. Using FSUIPC if I set prop lever 1 to control 1-2, it moves 1,2,&4. Lever 2 moves 2&4? A little frustrating to say the least.

Single and twins I don't have a problem with. I'm guessing conflict somewhere. Do I remove axis control from FSX and let FSUIPC handle everything? What's the best way to handle this? I calibrate in the CH Manager because FSX says to.

Thanks,
Marv

Tomas Linnet
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Control Setup

Post by Tomas Linnet »

Hello Marv

I use the B17 input configurator for my throttle axis. There is an option to assign right engines and left engines to one axis, some thing FSX won't let you do. All prop and mixture is set up to one axis each. Should I need to adjust one engine only I'll use the selection made available by A2A. I've chosen this configuration as I only have 6 axis available. 1 for the turbo, one for left engines, one for right engines, one for props, one for mixtures and one for the intercoolers.
Kind Regards
Tomas

Sim: FSX SE
Accu-Sim aircraft in my hangar:
C172, C182, P51 Civ, P51 Mil, B17, Spitfire, P47, B377 COTS,
J3 Cub, T6, Connie, P-40, V35B
A2A Accu-Sim Avro Lancaster Loading:............0.000003% complete, please wait.

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Thanks, I am using the input configurator for the throttle axis' and it works fine. However, there is no option in the configurator for the prop levers or mixture levers. I am wondering if there is an option in FSUIPC4 that would work.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

MarvK wrote:Thanks, I am using the input configurator for the throttle axis' and it works fine. However, there is no option in the configurator for the prop levers or mixture levers. I am wondering if there is an option in FSUIPC4 that would work.
You should find the prop and mixture axis assignments in FSUIPC4. I'm pretty certain that is how I
have mine assigned on my dual Saitek Pro Throttle quads. I use 4 levers for throttles and 1 each for
mixture and prop pitch.

It is pretty straight forward to assign those. (let me open FSX here and I'll give more details)

(waiting for FSX to load ) :)

OK...FSUIPC4 Menu, Axis Assignment. Aircraft Specific box checked (I don't use profiles)
Move the lever you want to assign to Mixture...you may need to click 'Rescan'
Under "Type of action required' I select "Send direct to FSUIPC calibration"
Then check the first box below that and scroll down the list of controls and select "Mixture"

Nex, hit "Rescan" and move the lever you want to control Prop Pitch.
Do the same operations as above but select "PropPitch" from the list of controls.

Hit OK and you are done.
You can then go to the "Joystick calibration" tab and calibrate those two axis.

Paul

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the explanation, but when I check aircraft specific, it asks for a profile name, yet you say you don't use profiles? :?

I tried to set the axis' as you described, and it seemed to work, yet when I go to the calibration page, I get the same results. Guess I have some studying to do.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

FSUIPC may default to 'Profiles' these days but I've been using it for years, before profiles were
included, so I stay with Aircraft Specific. My FSUIPC4.ini file is over 6000 lines long and I REALLY
don't want to make any major changes :)

When it asks for a Profile name, just give it A2A B17G or some such and move on.

You say you get the 'same results' when you try to calibrate. What specifically?

FYI, I do not use the Saitek software for my controllers. Everything is done via FSUIPC
and sometimes the A2A Configurators.

I'll be offline for the next many, many hours as I'll be on a B777-200 on the way
to Sydney Australia for a couple of weeks.

Paul

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”