B-17 books

A Living Legend
new reply
reflected
Master Sergeant

B-17 books

Post by reflected »

Any books about the B-17 that you would recommend? I got "The Wrong Stuff" by Truman Smith from Audible for free (you only have to register, the first two audiobooks are free) and I really enjoyed it. He was a Co pilot in a Flying Fortress, and he describes his flights through the eyes of his 20 year old self. A very good description of what it must have felt like to take part in these raids over Germany.

There are also some technical goodies, like when the prop control of one of the engines broke down, and he had to press the feather button to lower RPM, then press it again before it went to full feather, and so on all the way to the target and back.

Do you know any other books like this one? Preferably a first person account written by a pilot/ co-pilot.

Thanks!

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: B-17 books

Post by Alan_A »

Highest possible recommendation: A Wing and a Prayer, by Harry Crosby. Not a pilot or co-pilot but rather a navigator, eventually Group Navigator for the 100th Bomb Group. Fine piece of writing - extremely entertaining, has a real "you are there" quality, and interesting technically as well for his evolution as navigator (he wasn't a natural to begin with but developed into one of the best). One of the really great WW II memoirs.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Alan_A wrote:Highest possible recommendation: A Wing and a Prayer, by Harry Crosby. Not a pilot or co-pilot but rather a navigator, eventually Group Navigator for the 100th Bomb Group. Fine piece of writing - extremely entertaining, has a real "you are there" quality, and interesting technically as well for his evolution as navigator (he wasn't a natural to begin with but developed into one of the best). One of the really great WW II memoirs.
Alan, is he one of the navigators whose B-17 led the C-47s dropping paratoopers on the Rhine crossing operation ( Op. Varsity ) ? If so, he mentions a pub in Cambridge called The Baron of Beef, I believe. It's still there. He also mentions C-47s exploding for no apparent reason, and only found out why when he spoke to a paratrooper officer some time afterwards. Is it the same book I'm thinking of ?

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Alan_A »

I don't think so. It's a while since I read it, so I'll have to track down my copy and confirm, but I don't remember that the 100th (or Crosby separately) went on Varsity. His late-war experiences included the shuttle missions to Russia (a pretty interesting chapter), then back to precision bombing, then food drops and relief/POW transports right at the end. The Varsity story sounds hair-raising, though - I'd love to know where it comes from.
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Best book to give the best impression of B-17 operations in the ETO is imo "B-17's over Germany: Half a wing three engines and a prayer" that tells the story of a single B-17 through its combat life with the 303rd BG but also tells the story of many others also on the missions, so if one is seen going out of formation the story will at one point switch to that B-17 and tell the crews story of what happened, its a fascinating insight that has been updated throughout its published life as more information esp on the other aircraft and other crew aspect came to life.

Heres a link to the edition I own; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Half-Wing-Three ... 0071341455

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

Alan_A wrote:I don't think so. It's a while since I read it, so I'll have to track down my copy and confirm, but I don't remember that the 100th (or Crosby separately) went on Varsity. His late-war experiences included the shuttle missions to Russia (a pretty interesting chapter), then back to precision bombing, then food drops and relief/POW transports right at the end. The Varsity story sounds hair-raising, though - I'd love to know where it comes from.
I've been trying to think of the book's title for a while now. The author, a captain in rank, became the group's lead navigator, and that's what made me think it might be the book you mention. I'll make a determined effort to track it down.

THibben
Staff Sergeant

Post by THibben »

I Have a B-17 book that was published in 1981. It is B-17 Flying Fortress in detail and scale by Alwyn T. Lloyd & Terry D. Moore.

It covers the B-17 from the Model 299 prototype thru the B-17G. It has lots of photos and details.

It was published by Aero Publishers, Inc. 329 West Aviation Road, Fallbrook, CA 92028.

It has a reference Listing page with 41 listings of the B-17.

I also have a book by Alwyn T. Lloyd with the same title but Part 2 Derivatives.

There is also a book by Steve Birdsall called The B-17 Flying Fortress. This was released by Aero Publishers in 1979.

There is another one called Winged Majesty, The Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress in War and Peace. This was Published by Frederick A. Johnsen for Bomber Books, Box 98231, Tacoma Wash. and for use by the Pacific Northwest Aviation Historical Foundation. It was a special tenth anniversary edition of the PNAHF Journal. 1980

Tom

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

I just finished reading 2 more books:

Masters of the air

An incredibly thorough history of the 8th AF. From EVERY aspect. Can get a little dry at times, but I learned a lot.

John Comer - Combat Crew

Now this is more like what I prefer. If "Masters of the air" was at one end of the strategic-personal scale, Combat Crew would be at the opposite end. John Comer joined the 381st as an engineer/ turret gunner in the summer of '43 - literally the worst time. It focuses on the personal side, the emotions, the stress, what went through their minds during those long missions. You really feel like a part of the crew up there while reading it. In addition, there's plenty of technical details, since he was an engineer. Lots of treats for us, accu-simmers :mrgreen:

Now I'm looking into buying these:

Hell's Angels: The True Story of the 303rd Bomb Group in World War II

A Higher Call

Would you recommend any of these?

I also have "Half a wing, three engines and a prayer" - will start it soon. As for "A wing and a prayer" - wouldn't it be too far from a pilot's experience, given the author was a navigator? I really love those details about flying technique and engine management.

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”