B17 won't steer

A Living Legend
Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: B17 won't steer

Post by Tug002 »

Hey there RoddersF, I only have a stick and one throttle and I am can steer the B-17 using the differential breaks but I find it hard to turn on anything but pavement. While on grass I have to use the engines opposite the turn, I find that once the aircraft is moving if i just pump the differential brake it will turn for me. It took a lot of practice to taxi but once you get the hang of it you will find it becomes quite easy. As someone else said here it helps if you keep full pitch and high turbo boost to make the turns.

Hope this helps you out
Keep smiling
Tug :)

tgycgijoes
Airman

Post by tgycgijoes »

I have the A2A B-17 w/Accusim. I am fortunate to have bought the GoFlight TQ6 Throttle Quadrant a number of years ago (8) and it is still functioning beautifully. Consequently, I have no problem using my engines to steer. Actual practice was NOT to use the brakes to steer as it would wear them out as well as the tires. Since Accusim I believe does NOT have brake or tire wear implemented in the B-17 as it does in its Cessna's and Pipers, (correct me if wrong) you can use differential braking without balding your tires or overheating your brakes as in real life.

I would suggest as do others I know with only ONE throttle lever, opt for the steerable tailwheel as described here. It will make life so much simpler for you to steer with your joystick or rudder pedals if you have them.

scottred69
Airman Basic

Post by scottred69 »

RoddersF wrote:I can't taxi my B17 as it won't go left or right. Have used the cockpit tail lock lever and the keyboard assignment but it acts as if the tail wheel is locked solid. Even running a single outboard engine at full throttle will not give me a turn. Anyone else come across this problem and know how to solve it?

Rodders
The B-17 is one of my favorite bombers to fly...but taxing any of these heavy bombers can be a pain--even the bombers with the tri-cycle gear. For partial turns, less then 90deg., I proceed at an optimal speed...not too fast, but not too slow either....if you get a good speed then maximum turning radius will be achieved, which is still very slight compared to any other plane. If a 90deg. or more turn is required, I have found the only way to do it effectively is with differential power/prop control. Set your engines 1 and or 2 to near full power to turn right and engines 3 and or 4 to near full power to turn left. (I may have gotten that backwards, but you get the idea) I have found, using this procedure, any heavy WWII bomber will nearly turn on a dime:-)

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

RoddersF wrote:Oh yea, there's something weird going on here.

Yes Cliff I'm simply computer and joystick. I've just been sat in the cockpit and taking a long slow check of everything. I've just notice that even having gone into 'Settings' - 'Controls' and setting the throttles to the Z axis only throttles 1 and 4 react. Throttles 2 and 3 won't move and can't be shifted manually either. I thought I should have had more power and speed on the last flight.

So are you saying this will only work with a desk mounted 4 lever throttle setup?

RoddersF
RoddersF,
It sounds now like your throttle lock is set in the back position. Centered is locks off, forward is locks on ALL, back is lock 2 & 3 only.
As far as using the tail wheel steering 'hack', I consider myself somewhat of a purist but I fly with an X52 Pro and keyboard. No pedals yet and one throttle control. I personally use the tail wheel steer code. There is nothing 'pure' in my mind of powering up and then hitting a key that applies full brake to one wheel. The old girl still turns hard but it turns. I also use FSUIPC4 and have it programmed to apply approximately 1/3 braking to appropriate wheel when I have twisted my stick/rudder to approximately 90%. This works well in lieu of not having a set of pedals and individual throttle controls.
Good luck Sir
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

RoddersF[/quote]
RoddersF,
It sounds now like your throttle lock is set in the back position. Centered is locks off, forward is locks on ALL, back is lock 2 & 3 only.
As far as using the tail wheel steering 'hack', I consider myself somewhat of a purist but I fly with an X52 Pro and keyboard. No pedals yet and one throttle control. I personally use the tail wheel steer code. There is nothing 'pure' in my mind of powering up and then hitting a key that applies full brake to one wheel. The old girl still turns hard but it turns. I also use FSUIPC4 and have it programmed to apply approximately 1/3 braking to appropriate wheel when I have twisted my stick/rudder to approximately 90%. This works well in lieu of not having a set of pedals and individual throttle controls.
Good luck Sir
Roger[/quote]

I have the X52 Pro and keyboard as well and steer the aircraft the same as you do. Takes a bit of time to get the hang of it but once you do it works well most of the time. :D

Keep smiling

RoddersF
Airman Basic

Post by RoddersF »

Hi Guys,

I think I've finally cracked it. Have taken on board and tried all the options suggested. Can now taxi with some accuracy (avoiding the grass) and am onto a steep learning curve thanks to your help.

I think we can put this one to bed now.

Great response and advice guys. I'm off for another flight. Again, many thanks.

RoddersF

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Glad to hear that it's coming along for you RoddersF. Happy flying :D

Keep smiling

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear Rodders, keep the chaps in this thread aware of how you get on I know they would be interested to hear your continued progress.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Good to hear Rodders, keep the chaps in this thread aware of how you get on I know they would be interested to hear your continued progress.

thanks,
Lewis
Absolutely,
It's always good to hear success stories. Especially when it comes to new pilots in A2A planes. No two flights are the same and there is always something to learn.
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

RoddersF
Airman Basic

Post by RoddersF »

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know all is going great. I got the basic B17 to evaluate it with the intention of aspiring to Accusim. With all of your help the evaluation went so well and I can now steer wherever I wish (mostly).

I have now upgraded to the Accusim version and most of it is brilliant. But ... has anyone got any idea why I now cant operate my engine priming pump. Cannot select engine or do any pumping. I want to start my own engines, but have to go for Ctrl-E.

RoddersF

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

RoddersF wrote:Hi Guys,

Just to let you know all is going great. I got the basic B17 to evaluate it with the intention of aspiring to Accusim. With all of your help the evaluation went so well and I can now steer wherever I wish (mostly).

I have now upgraded to the Accusim version and most of it is brilliant. But ... has anyone got any idea why I now cant operate my engine priming pump. Cannot select engine or do any pumping. I want to start my own engines, but have to go for Ctrl-E.

RoddersF

Use the mouse scroll-wheel to select the engine and then left-click in the center of the pump handle to
cause a priming stroke to take place.

Also, in the Input Configurator you can assign switches/buttons to Pimer +, Primer -, and Primer to
increment, decrement the engine select and then execute a primer stroke.

The configurator will be in your main FSX folder, in the A2A\B17\Tools folder.

Paul

RoddersF
Airman Basic

Post by RoddersF »

Nice one Paul that got it.

Right then, back into the air and find out what the rest of this stuff does.

You've all been great, cheers guys.

Rodders

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”