Ground handling characteristics

A Living Legend
new reply
Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

Post by Cherokeepilot19 »

Let me just start by saying how much I love flying the B17. I've owned it for years (back before it was even accusimmed) and it is almost exclusively what I fly on fsx.

Over the years of flying it I have noticed one annoyance. Getting the thing to start rolling on the ground requires and enormous amount of throttle, usually regardless of the ramp weight..

Seeing the B17 in person countless times and watching many videos of it, it seems they barley need to come off to make it start rolling for taxi. The other night I was at wide open throttle and could barley move. This seems unreasonable.... Is this modifiable without screwing up the takeoff roll distance / resistance?

The only other beef I can think of is adding an afk window like some other accusim aircraft, and smoothing out the engine shutdown noises.. (very abrupt transition).

Let me know what you think. Thanks for a great airplane.
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
i9-9900k @ 5.2 GHz W/C'ed
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti HYBRID 11GB
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
ASUS Z390-E | EVGA 1200w P2
970 Evo+ 512gb

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

The friction in FSX is buggy on its own. There are fixes for this listed in these forums which you may wish to try. I have no problem breaking away from a parked position with just a small amount of throttle. I haven't got the time currently to find these links, but perhaps someone else can do this for you, or you can search for yourself. Keyword would be "friction"!

Edit: here is one discussion: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 48#p250201 It's a bit old, but careful reading will tease out the details

JP
Last edited by Jacques on 23 Oct 2014, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Re: Ground handling characteristics

Post by Great Ozzie »

Cherokeepilot19 wrote: Over the years of flying it I have noticed one annoyance. Getting the thing to start rolling on the ground requires and enormous amount of throttle, usually regardless of the ramp weight..

Seeing the B17 in person countless times and watching many videos of it, it seems they barley need to come off to make it start rolling for taxi. The other night I was at wide open throttle and could barley move. This seems unreasonable.... Is this modifiable without screwing up the takeoff roll distance / resistance?
This is strange. Someone else here has posted similar.

Just the opposite for me (no idea why) but very little throttle needed for me to get rolling.

Yeah... a couple threads if you search for "ground friction". Hope that fixes it.
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Also worth noting that some 3rd party scenery can affect this.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

I'm having the same problem but I'm using P3D... sometimes I need to apply full power to get the thing rolling. Strato does this too btw.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

P3D is a separate platform and may have changed things in this area over the updates as it moves further away from the MSFS base. The B-17 simulation is created solely for the FSX Platform it is not officially tested in P3D.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Yep, I understand... But the fort just looks so good in it :wink:

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

P3DV2.4, Traffic 360 airports, idle@1000RPM, release brakes, slowly advance throttles, starts to move between 1100 & 1200 RPM.

Hope this helps.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

Got the dynamic friction lua installed. Seems to be working nicely. I had to tweak my brake sensitivity too as they seemed to be on like 2% all the time.

Some of the stock jets with that mod seems to roll a bit too quickly but for what I need it for, it's a good mod.
"A good landing is one you can walk away from.. A great landing is one when you can reuse the plane!" :D
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
970 Evo+ 512gb

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Added DynamicFriction lau too, which I'd never heard of until this thread. Just did a couple circuits on a rainy day, and it seems to feel more realistic to me too (based only on one ride in Nine-O-Nine, but a bunch of RW time in C-45 and SNJ).

Been tinkering with Sim Physcs X http://www.thefsps.com/fsx/50-fsps-sim-physics-x.html, too, to make a very long series of flights from Australia to Philippines, Japan, Russian, Alaska and across Canada to Newfoundland more realistic. With Active Sky Next real weather, I figure this time of year ice is going to be an issue and obliviously droning along without a care wouldn't be much fun.

So far, after 14 legs and about 30 hours I've only had a hydraulic leak, burned a bunch of gas, and almost no oil. It may be masochistic, but I'd like to see more failures modeled. (Yes, I know I can use FSX failures to do that, but they seem too rote somehow--maybe I just need to experiment with it more.)
Blue skies and tailwinds

Cherokeepilot19
Senior Airman

I've noticed now that I fixed my brakes I have less hydraulic leaks. I bet the sim was messing with it when they were barley applied.

Tailspin, did you do the 300hr tbo instead of 1000? I've blown a few wastgates and such by 150hrs
32GB DDR4 @ 3400 MHz
970 Evo+ 512gb

Tailspin45
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tailspin45 »

Tailspin, did you do the 300hr tbo instead of 1000? I've blown a few wastegates and such by 150hrs
300, just checked. With 38.6hrs on the Wrights they're flawless, and still don't use an appreciable amount of oil.
Blue skies and tailwinds

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

CafeRacer500 wrote:I'm having the same problem but I'm using P3D... sometimes I need to apply full power to get the thing rolling. Strato does this too btw.
I'm in the same boat here as both the B-17 and Strato need almost full power just to get it rolling. Came on the forums to search and see if there is something I can do. This is P3Dv2.4 which I understand is not supported for these two planes. Just hoping there was a work around as I no longer use FSX and would hate to loose these tow great planes.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Kilstorm wrote:I'm in the same boat here as both the B-17 and Strato need almost full power just to get it rolling. Came on the forums to search and see if there is something I can do. This is P3Dv2.4 which I understand is not supported for these two planes. Just hoping there was a work around as I no longer use FSX and would hate to loose these tow great planes.
After updating to 2.4 I haven't got stuck with the Fort anymore, though I haven't flown Strato in a while

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”