B-17G World Tour (@ Pyongyang)

A Living Legend
new reply
CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

B-17G World Tour (@ Pyongyang)

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Hello all!

My attempt at getting around the world in A2A B-17 Accusim Flying Fortress!

Rules
- realtime flights, no time acceleration
- real weather by ASN
- VFR when ever possible
- no repairs on small airports
- no maps that automatically update the plane location, only onboard navigation instruments and normal maps

Route
- https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit? ... V95KEWPb1s
- long legs can be divided to shorter ones and plan may change

I'm using FTX Global + Vector and FSGlobal Mesh for scenery and Active Sky Next for weather. Didn't take too many pictures in Europe because i was (am) still learning and didn't realise that all i have to do is press "v" :lol:

Anyways, here are some photos, a fast recap of what has happened so far:

Flying over Santorini, heading to Heraklion

During flight from Cyprus to Istanbul I had my first scare, a massive thunderstorm above Antalya. Even I knew that anvil shaped clouds were bad news... foolishly tried to run through it, wasn't a good idea...

The turbulence was too heavy so I had to do an unscheduled stop at Denizli after almost crashing the plane. The landing wasn't easy either, but we survived!

After waiting for a boring few days in turkish countryside for the weather to clear we carried on towards Istanbul

Next a visit to the winter olympics in Sotchi, Russia. The approach was guite interesting, houses on both sides not more than a 100 metres from the wingtips...

Next stop, Middle East and Africa! Landed on the lowest airport in Israel, then on towards Cairo

A looooong flight over the Sahara desert was up next, so a few days off was in order. Had a wonderful view of the pyramids on departure

After that it was just blue skies...

...and a LOT of sand

Time for the first real problem with the plane: about half way to Marrakech I noticed the hydraulic pump running constantly, there was a major hydraulic leak somewhere and we were losing fluid rapidly. Great, just what I need over Sahara during a totally dark night. Suddenly my heart was pounding. Checked the maps to see if there were any runways with lights on them, didn't find any so kept my fingers crossed and kept on going to Marrakech. Luckily I still had some pressure left when I landed!

Departing Marrakech after the leak has been fixed

A quick stop at Madeira, then towards Kap Verde

Kap Verde to Dakar

Dakar in sight

Somewhere over Monrovia

From Monrovia the plan was to head northeast until meeting with the river Niger and the follow it to Tombouctou. The river was easy to find, i was huge

Tombouctou

Then follow the river again, to south. Clouds made it a bit challenging this time

Arrival at Gaya Airport, Benin

More to come! :P
Last edited by CafeRacer500 on 15 Oct 2016, 06:55, edited 19 times in total.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: B-17G World Tour

Post by Jacques »

Very impressive pictures! Thanks for sharing them!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thank you for sharing indeed. Some beautiful screenshots and some real impressive weather too.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Great pictures and story. Good luck with your flight.

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Enjoyed the story and the pictures.
Keep smiling
Tug :)

Capt Richardo
Airman

Post by Capt Richardo »

Geat epic flight, thanks for sharing.

I'd be intrested on your thoughts on my Voice Control Checklists if you'd like to try it on one of your legs.

Rich
(Capt Richardo)

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Thanks for watching guys, glad you like my pics. Will post the rest of the journey so far later today.

Capt Richardo: I just watched the trailer yesterday and was very impressed :shock: I will definitely give it a go!

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Port Harcourt

High above Congo, nothing but forest as far as eye can see

Foggy landing at Kinshasa

Storm clouds, again... this time over Angola

Ondangwa, after finding a way around the thunderstorm

Following B1-road south in Namibia, heading to Windhoek

Surprisingly had to find a way around a couple of stormclouds again

Was a bit worried when I saw clouds hanging really low over Windhoek, luckily ATC told me to land from the south, had a clear view to the runway

Early morning departure from Windhoek, have to start early because the temperatures rise really fast after sunrise. It was already +26 C, made the mistake of waiting too long on one of the earlier flights, wasn't fun trying to keep engine temperatures reasonable at +42 C weather

Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world (I think?). I was rather dissappointed.

Oh well, at least the approach to Oranjemund was nice

Another early morning departure, heading to South Africa. Expecting a boring flight above the sea, still a bit bummed by the Fish Canyon

South Afrika in sight!

Caught a glimpse of the Table Mountain on approach

Departure from Cape town, this time late afternoon

It's beautiful in here, feeling good!

Very good indeed, one of the nicest sceneries so far, having a nice weather and a beautiful sunset does help the mood a bit. Absolutely beautiful flight!

Calculated the flight time a bit wrong, was allready dark when arrived at Port Elisabeth

Seems like another nice day out, time to head north to King Shaka International

Misty morning air

Pretty uneventfull flight, safely at destination though

Next stop Johannesburg!

Departing Johannesburg towards Victoria Falls. Hoping it won't be as much of a dissappointment as the Fish Canyon :D

And luckily it wasn't, looked really nice from the plane. Had to take a couple undoubtedly highly illegal low passes to celebrate before landing

Sorry no pics from next few legs, boring flights over water. Had calculated the fuel usage wrong on the way to Madagaskar, had maybe 10 gallons / engine left when I taxiid to parking

Another huge storm on the way back to mainland, this time I had to climb over it, didn't see any other way around it. It was still raining at 40000 ft, -44 C :shock:

Landed in Mzuzu where we had to stay for a couple of days because of the weather

At last the weather cleared, north towards Ngorongoro and Kilimanjaro!

Skipped the trip to Ngorongoro crater because of the clouds, propably couldn't have seen anything anyway. Did see Kilimanjaro though! Couldn't miss it really...

On the way to Muqdishu crew report said that there were some problems with number 2 engine. I was only a few hundred miles away from the destination so I figured that I'd try feathering the prop. Flies nicely with three engines too i find.

Don't know what was wrong with the engine, mechanics didn't find anything... have to keep an eye on it. Next up a long flight to Dubai, I hope it's nothing serious...

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Great pictures again. Looking foward to more.

Keep smiling

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

hehe that feathered engine is a familiar sight. Is it bad that I sometimes just do that because I want the challenge :wink:

thanks,
Lewis

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:hehe that feathered engine is a familiar sight. Is it bad that I sometimes just do that because I want the challenge :wink:

thanks,
Lewis
Never done that before, was fun though :P better safe than sorry I figured :lol:

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Cool stuff here! I always enjoy the trip stories, and this one seems particularly interesting! Waiting to see how the plane takes you over those longish legs over the deep blue Pacific. 8)

-Esa

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

AKar wrote:Cool stuff here! I always enjoy the trip stories, and this one seems particularly interesting! Waiting to see how the plane takes you over those longish legs over the deep blue Pacific.
Oh yes the Pacific, can't say I'm really looking forward to those legs :lol: flying over long stretches of water is not the most interesting thing I know. And I'll propably have to go IFR on those legs, the risk of missing the destination there is too big

The thread has now catched me up, so here's the latest leg, from Muqdishu to Dubai!

Early morning departure from Muqdishu

After following the coastline north we take the last glimpses of Africa on this trip. Keeping an eye out on that #2 engine, the message about something being wrong is getting on my nerves. Climbed through a couple of steps to the final cruising altitude of 28000 ft.

Once safely over the ocean it was time to drop the extra weight of the bomb bay tanks

A short flight later we're entering Middle East again

Getting flash backs of Sahara in the Saudi desert. Checked the latest weather for Dubai, think we're going to have a problem taxiing to parking, it's almost +40 C out there...

Approaching Dubai International rw 30 r

It was not as bad as i feared, "only" +38C... safely in parking though. Didn't get the engines as cool as I would have liked, it took ages to get them even to under 200C.

The problem in engine #2 was discovered in after flight check, I've been worrying way too much over a dirty fuel filter :lol:

After that I tried if the Fortress works on P3D or not. It is working perfectly, BUT when i reset the flight it spawned with landing gear up :evil: Had to repair a bunch of stuff, including a complete overhaul to engine #1... :x

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Dubai)

Post by Lewis - A2A »

More beautiful screenshots. Thanks for posting the pictorial story of your B-17 adventure 8)

thanks,
Lewis

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Dubai)

Post by Tug002 »

Great pictures and story CafeRacer500. Thank you for the adventure.

Keep smiling

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”