B-17G World Tour (@ Pyongyang)

A Living Legend
CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Kiribati)

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Nice to know someone still follows this :D

My Spitfire just arrived to southern Norway in a terrible thunderstorm just to check out my new orbx scenery. I was hoping to see openlc north america by the end of the year so didn't get orbx sceneries on sale, I think I have PNW scenery though. Have to think about getting the others when I get closer.

Can't wait to get out of the pacific islands, I think I'm going to skip an island or two to get out faster :)

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Beijing)

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Hello guys!

After a lot of computer problems and being too busy in real life I think it's time to let you know how this project is going on. I did make it out of the Pacific ocean in one peace, but can't show any pictures of those legs due to a total pc meltdown. I wish I could have saved the pictures as there were some very hairy situations along the way including one nightmarish flight over water where I lost two of my engines to faulty turbos... I could save my A2A files though, so I didn't lose my flight hours

Anyway here's where I'm now, latest leg is from Shanghai to Beijing.

Flight plan

Starting up in Shanghai, next to a Spring Airlines tubeliner

I was hoping I would get out of here before the forecasted rain but no such luck. Had to stand in queue to get in the air, last one before me was this 747 which looked rather big from my cockpit

Turning right after take off to intercept the first VOR

Rain and clouds. My favourite... not.

Weather clears up when the sun comes up

Foggy, Beijing is somewhere there in the soup

Thank God for ILS, couldn't see anything. ATC vectored me quite close to the surrounding hills

Parked, waiting for maintenance

Had to repair right brakes, everything else looks to be in good shape

Using VoxATC, really "fun" pronouncing some of the names in here btw :lol:

trindade
Staff Sergeant

Post by trindade »

Pic #5 is simply amazing! Wow!!

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

I'm so glad you're back! I've fallen completely in love with this aircraft, and your trips make even more sense now!

Keep 'em coming! :-D
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Nice pics and what an amazing trip! I absolutely love those threads and with the Flying Fortress this seems to be a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Great job on the legs and good to see you back going again. lovely screenies! 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

First time I see this, that's a fantastic journey, thanks for sharing! :D

This route has some familiar parts with the ferry routes taken during WWII or circa, not surprinsingly. It must be quite scary to fly those long legs over water... the mid-Atlantic one would make anyone think twice, as would the Pacific island-hopping.

Good luck with the pronunciation challenges ;)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Surprisingly similar routes considering the only one I have seen before is the north Atlantic one :shock: If I had know of these I would have planned the route to follow them, now I just tried to pick interesting places and connect them together in reasonable flying distances. Thanks for sharing!

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

CafeRacer500 wrote:now I just tried to pick interesting places and connect them together in reasonable flying distances
It's probably the best option in a P3D world (or even IRL)...

Is the automatic pilot stable enough on long legs? I'm supposing you use it to take breaks now and then during those.
I'd probably be afraid to find out the plane has derived hundreds of miles due to the imprecisions, on the B-17 or the B-377 ;)
Accu-Sim: B-17G, C172, C182, Cherokee 180, Comanche 250, Civilian P-51, Spitfire MkI/II, T-6, CotS Constellation, CotS B377
System specs: Win10 x64 | CPU: i7-10770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: RTX 3070 | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Redglyph wrote:Is the automatic pilot stable enough on long legs? I'm supposing you use it to take breaks now and then during those.
I'd probably be afraid to find out the plane has derived hundreds of miles due to the imprecisions, on the B-17 or the B-377 ;)
Autopilot does seem to do a decent job if the weather is nice, but in anykind of rougher conditions it seems to struggle a bit. I don't trust it enough to leave my chair for more than a few minutes a time anyway :D but i do use it mist of the time so I can do something else, especially when flying over boring stuff like water.

Redglyph
Senior Airman

Post by Redglyph »

CafeRacer500 wrote:Autopilot does seem to do a decent job if the weather is nice, but in anykind of rougher conditions it seems to struggle a bit. I don't trust it enough to leave my chair for more than a few minutes a time anyway :D but i do use it mist of the time so I can do something else, especially when flying over boring stuff like water.
Not too surprising then.

I see an opportunity as student part-time job here, "sim oversea pilot", to carry out those long legs over water :D Well, it wouldn't be that different from MMORPG people selling maxed-out avatars ;)

CafeRacer500
Senior Airman

Post by CafeRacer500 »

Ok, next up: Beijing to Pyongyang

Flight plan

Getting ready. Beijing seems to be always fossy (or smoggy?)

Weather is quite nice though once you get up

Cruising at 20k

We'll start a slow descent once over the ocean

Landing at 01 means the only taxiway to the parking/terminal goes right in front of the runway

Of course having only one taxiway creates a few problems with traffic also. Had to wait until departing traffic got out of the way. Crewmembers snapped a few pics outside

No photos of the terminal because we were informed that photography is not allowed on airport area... (also my pc crashed :D)

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Pyongyang)

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Wow a B-17 in North Korea. Who would have thought :wink:

Awesome screenshots. That first one is just stunning with the Fortress ("Sentimental Journey" I'm guessing??) lit up like that and the fog sort of soft focus in the background. Just awesome!

Thank for sharing
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: B-17G World Tour (@ Pyongyang)

Post by Lewis - A2A »

wow and yes interesting AI hehe :mrgreen:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”