B-17 and Prepar3D V2.2

A Living Legend
wjmcdermott
Airman

B-17 and Prepar3D V2.2

Post by wjmcdermott »

Hello A2A, can you confirm that the B-17 is never going to work in P3D ... or are there some sort of hacks, (even if officially unsupported), that will get past the "corrupt config file" dialog?

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Re: B-17 and Prepar3D V2.2

Post by Mazo »

wjmcdermott wrote:Hello A2A, can you confirm that the B-17 is never going to work in P3D ... or are there some sort of hacks, (even if officially unsupported), that will get past the "corrupt config file" dialog?
Just to be sure, I just did a flight in my B17 and everything worked as expected. Have you made any changes to the.cfg file as it sounds like something is not right in there. A total reinstall including patch V1.21 may be in order. It truly does work fine in P3DV2.2.

Good luck!
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

Mazo wrote:
wjmcdermott wrote:Hello A2A, can you confirm that the B-17 is never going to work in P3D ... or are there some sort of hacks, (even if officially unsupported), that will get past the "corrupt config file" dialog?
Just to be sure, I just did a flight in my B17 and everything worked as expected. Have you made any changes to the.cfg file as it sounds like something is not right in there. A total reinstall including patch V1.21 may be in order. It truly does work fine in P3DV2.2.

Good luck!
Hi Lyn, I saw a post from Lewis stating that the B-17 is not supported in Prepar3D. I haven't a thing in my clean new V2.2 configs so I can't see a re-install making any difference. Let's wait and see what A2A have to say and I will go from there. If I can't get it working \i will buy the civilian P51 as a consolation prize.

Wayne

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Wayne,
I meant a reinstall of the B17 -- not your P3DV2.2! A reinstall of the B17 should rebuild the B17 .cfg file.

None of the A2A aircraft are "officially" supported for P3D but they do work just fine.

Good luck.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,
How are you trying to install the sim? The corruption message will be because you re trying to use the FSX installer and it cannot find the required FSX files it checks prior to installation.

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

[quote="Lewis - A2A"]Hello,
How are you trying to install the sim? The corruption message will be because you re trying to use the FSX installer and it cannot find the required FSX files it checks prior to installation.

Thanks,
Lewis

Hello Lewis, yes I am trying to install using the fsx installer which is how it is packaged from pilotshop. Is there another way?

Wayne

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

Mazo wrote:Wayne,
I meant a reinstall of the B17 -- not your P3DV2.2! A reinstall of the B17 should rebuild the B17 .cfg file.

Good luck.
Hi Lyn, I cannot re-install as it has never installed in the first place in Prepar3D, (I bought it when I was running FSX). Did you use the packaged FSX installer in V2.2?

Cheers,

Wayne

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

wjmcdermott wrote:
Mazo wrote:Wayne,

Good luck.
Hi Lyn, I cannot re-install as it has never installed in the first place in Prepar3D, (I bought it when I was running FSX). Did you use the packaged FSX installer in V2.2?

Cheers,

Wayne
Oops - sorry about that! I thought you had it installed.

What I have done is to copy the FSX.exe and paste it into the P3DV2.2 folder and have left it there as it does not cause any problem. (If you do not have FSX installed on your computer, I have heard that some folks simply copy the P3D.exe and rename this copy as FSX.exe and it will be enough to get the B17 to install) Then point the B17 installer to the P3DV2.2 location and it should install just fine.

I have not seen any issues flying the B17, P47, P51 or C172 in P3DV2.2. The C172 needs to be reloaded for the beacon to work but that's all.

Good luck! If you have never flown the B17, you are in for a treat with the crew comments!! :D She is a dream to fly and be sure assign your co-pilot his tasks in shift+3.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie. You will want to copy the p3d.exe and then rename the copy to FSX.exe as Mazo has posted. This will work for many FSX Add ons.

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

[quote="Lewis - A2A"]Okie dokie. You will want to copy the p3d.exe and then rename the copy to FSX.exe as Mazo has posted. This will work for many FSX Add ons.

Thanks Lewis, I tried that! I also tried 'fsx' in both upper and lower case as well as creating an 'fsx.exe' from scratch. No luck, but thanks for your help anyway. My Prepar3s V2.2 installation is not in the default C:\ drive .. that may have something to do with it.

I'm going to give up on the B-17, I have the rest of the fleet working perfectly.

Thanks again.

Wayne

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello Wayne,

you will also have to direct the installer to your p3d installation.

Thanks,
Lewis

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

[quote="Lewis - A2A"]Hello Wayne,

you will also have to direct the installer to your p3d installation.

Thanks,
Lewis

Yep, that is in place after fixing the registry entry. It "knows" the Prepar3D directory and has it correctly doplayed in the appropriate install dialog. It still insists there is a config corruption at the next screen though.

Cheers,

Wayne

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

It should be possible to install to an empty folder and then copy the installed folders and files over to your Prepar3D installation. I tried it out on a computer that does not have FSX or Prepar3D installed on it and it seemed to work.

I made a folder called FSX on the computers D: drive, then I created a new txt file in that folder and renamed it to fsx.exe.

I ran the WOP2_B17.EXE installer but had to direct it manually to the dummy FSX directory on D:\FSX. It installed what looks like the correct folder structure in the dummy FSX folder.

I then ran both the Accusim installer, followed by the 1.21 update, one after the other. Both times I had to direct the installers to the dummy FSX folder on D:\FSX.

This gave me a dummy FSX folder with all the A2A folders in it. I have no idea on the structure of a Prepar3D installation as I don't have it, but others seem to have done it successfully. So in theory, it should now just be a case of moveing those folders into the correct location within a Prepar3D installation. But that is something you are going to have to try for yourself.

Good luck.
Steve
Last edited by bladerunner900 on 20 Apr 2014, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

bladerunner900 wrote:It should be possible to install to and empty folder and then copy the installed folders and files over to your Prepar3D installation. I tried it out on a computer that does not have FSX or Prepar3D installed on it and it seemed to work.

I made a folder called FSX on the computers D: drive, then I created a new txt file in that folder and renamed it to fsx.exe.

I ran the WOP2_B17.EXE installer but had to direct it manually to the dummy FSX directory on D:\FSX. It installed what looks like the correct folder structure in the dummy FSX folder.

I then ran both the Accusim installer, followed by the 1.21 update, one after the other. Both times I had to direct the installers to the dummy FSX folder on D:\FSX.

This gave me a dummy FSX folder with all the A2A folders in it. I have no idea on the structure of a Prepar3D installation as I don't have it, but others seem to have done it successfully. So in theory, it should now just be a case of moveing those folders into the correct location within a Prepar3D installation. But that is something you are going to have to try for yourself.

Good luck.
Steve
Thanks Steve, that's a great idea. I will try that.

wjmcdermott
Airman

Post by wjmcdermott »

wjmcdermott wrote:
bladerunner900 wrote:It should be possible to install to and empty folder and then copy the installed folders and files over to your Prepar3D installation. I tried it out on a computer that does not have FSX or Prepar3D installed on it and it seemed to work.

Good luck.
Steve
Thanks Steve, that's a great idea. I will try that.
Nope, same error. Just a thought .. is wop2_B17 the correct install file? IS there a wop3_B17 out there?

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”