B-17 Turbo Calibration Knobs - Not There? (Black Dots)

A Living Legend
new reply
DmOcRsI
Airman Basic

Post by DmOcRsI »

Howdy A2A Community,

So I've had my B-17 for awhile, and I can remember that I used to have the turbo calibration knobs surrounding the manifold-pressure control. However, I noticed recently that they're not there anymore, there are black circles where they're supposed to be.

So I looked it up online and there are actually quite a few screen shots from other people who have the same situation... is this common?

Example:

The image above is not of my own, it's an example that I have found.

The cursor is saying that I can grab the knobs.. however, their adjustment (if they're moving at all) seems to be ineffective. Anyone else notice this? I did the recent update, nothing had changed. Please advise.

Scottyboy39
Staff Sergeant

Re: B-17 Turbo Calibration Knobs - Not There? (Black Dots)

Post by Scottyboy39 »

I don't think there are supposed to be knobs there. I think it's just a button you push. A lot of photos I've seen I never recall seeing knobs there.

Scott "Shylock" Berge
http://www.fsxblueangels.com/

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

I'm away from the simulator for a bit, so I can't verify this: if you hover the mouse pointer over the "void" then scroll the mouse-wheel up or down then it adjusts the turbo for that engine up or down. But, yes, it looks like a black void, but there is an adjusting screw within, you just can't see it.

Edit-- Seems like there is also a numeric value that populates over the mouse pointer to help you visualize the adjustment.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Jacques is correct. There are adjustment screws recessed in those 'black holes' that are operated with the mouse. I can't recall if it is mouse wheel alone or if there are +/- click spots as I added a mod to my "controls' 2D panel that shows my turbo calibration settings and has click spots for adjusting each turbo.
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

DmOcRsI
Airman Basic

Post by DmOcRsI »

Jacques wrote:I'm away from the simulator for a bit, so I can't verify this: if you hover the mouse pointer over the "void" then scroll the mouse-wheel up or down then it adjusts the turbo for that engine up or down. But, yes, it looks like a black void, but there is an adjusting screw within, you just can't see it.

Edit-- Seems like there is also a numeric value that populates over the mouse pointer to help you visualize the adjustment.
I remember that there used to be ones... or possibly my sanity is slipping.

Either way, there's no numerical value and the manifold pressure is not adjusting at all either. So, if it's supposed to be there, it's not working. :?:

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I could be wrong but I think that the calibration is supposed to be done while the plane is on the ground by the mechanics. You can fine tune it in the air by putting the pointer over the black void and using the mouse scroll wheel. It works for me as I do this when I do an overhaul on an engine or a new turbo is installed. One click of the scroll bumps it up or down about 0.2 -0.3. I think that the black dots just represent plugs for the holes the mechanics put in to keep the crew from changing their settings.

Keep smiling
Tug :)

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

There never was any knobs for these. Just the open holes.
Use the mouse center wheel to adjust.
On a fair weather day, on the ground, turbos at 8, one engine at a time, full throttle, adjust for about 45-46MP. Try to get all of them equal.

Scottyboy39
Staff Sergeant

Post by Scottyboy39 »

As you can see above it appears to be caps that cover the holes. In the other pic you clearly see nothing is there, just a hole. I assume the ground crew would insert a socket in there to adjust and calibrate the turbos.
Scott "Shylock" Berge

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Spot on Scott, insert screw driver into hole and find screw and turn, that kinda thing.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

DmOcRsI wrote:
Jacques wrote:I remember that there used to be ones... or possibly my sanity is slipping.

Either way, there's no numerical value and the manifold pressure is not adjusting at all either. So, if it's supposed to be there, it's not working. :?:
Yeah, there never were actual knobs but holes as mentioned. If you're not getting a mouse-over popup you should check to make sure that 'Cockpit Tool Tips' is turned on.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

Scottyboy39
Staff Sergeant

Post by Scottyboy39 »

The bottom left describes the Turbo adjustment screw. From the B-17 manual.
Scott "Shylock" Berge

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”