Nose textures: improvements possible?

A Living Legend
new reply
Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Nose textures: improvements possible?

Post by Sayuuk »

Hi all,

on all the screenshots I've seen from the B17 the nose part that is visible from the virtual cockpit looks a bit blurred, like the textures are to low-res.

Is there any way to improve this?

The virtual cockpit itself looks sharp and well modeled, but that nose is bugging my eyes...

I just bought the P47 a few weeks ago and now am strongly considering the B17 to be my next purchase, but with this "ugly" spot directly in my "permanent field of view" this is kind of annoying me...

Thanks,

Stefan
ImageImage

MTFDarkEagle
Technical Sergeant

Re: Nose textures: improvements possible?

Post by MTFDarkEagle »

Stefan, that isn't the accusim b-17.. I can tell from that picture ;)
Have a look at the proposal for a multiplayer flight thread, you can find a ton of screenshot's of the cockpit of the b-17.
Lukas
ImageImage

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Sorry Stephan, but the nose of the aircraft looks just like that. You can't just cut the front of the aircraft off ... :?:
Snuffy

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

As mentioned, this is not the Accusim version. The original B-17 for FSX was made a few years ago, and was the first aircraft A2A (formerly Shockwave) made for FSX. With the Accusim package, the textures, cockpit and a plethora of other visual modelings tidbits were updated to A2A's current standard.
ImageImage
ImageImage

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Hi,

I find it most noticeable during takeoff and landing (AccuSim B-17), but otherwise I think it actually helps with the feeling of dept perception as it is already in the side of your vision, so the slightly lower res textures just add to that effect.

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

When you're sitting in a tail dragger, you tend to get the nose in the air ... I don't see what the problem is. :oops:
Snuffy

VulcanB2
Master Sergeant

Post by VulcanB2 »

Snuffy wrote:When you're sitting in a tail dragger, you tend to get the nose in the air ... I don't see what the problem is. :oops:
He's referring to the quality of the texture on the nose, not the nose itself.

Best regards,
Robin.
A2A/AccuSim. 'nuff said!

Skycat
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Skycat »

I've never really thought about the resolution of the nose textures so I opened up the plane in FSX tonight to see if the textures outside the window are annoyingly blurry once focused upon. They are perhaps a little soft but not as much as in that screenshot.

Take a look at this A2A Familiarization video and skip to about 6:30 minutes -- that gives you a good look at the nose through the windscreen. YouTube videos generally don't have great clarity, of course, but I think you can see that the detail of the external textures outside of the cockpit sufficiently complement the sharpness inside the cockpit.
Pax Orbis Per Arma Aeria

Sayuuk
Airman First Class

Post by Sayuuk »

Hi all,

sorry, forgot to subscribe to this thread, didn't see the responses til now =P

I looked at the video and a bunch of screenshots and I still think the nose textures are a little blurred.
Maybe this could be overcome by me enabling the High-Quality texture-filtering in the NVIDIA-driver, but that seems to lead to a bunch of other problems in general.

I realize this isn't as important when using TrackIR as your head is moving constantly and you won't get that still-frame-look normally, but when you don't use TrackIR it is a lot more obvious.

I have the P47 and everything is great there, so I'll probably just wait for the P51 anyway and skip the B17 =/

If there ever was some HD-Mod for the textures with maybe 2x the normal resolution, I'd be very interested though ;-)

Thanks, Stefan
ImageImage

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”