B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

A Living Legend
Samster
Airman First Class

Re: B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

Post by Samster »

boris4356 wrote:
Nice!

You should start a separate topic for your project and keep us updated with your progress!

Bill

I think I will!!!
The bad news is time flies. Good news is you're the pilot.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Since this topic has found its way back to the front page, I figure it would be a good time to provide an update.

One of the biggest dilemmas in cockpit building is where to put a keyboard and mouse. No matter how many switches you have you will always need a keyboard and mouse for windows functions. It has always been a pain, and I had finally settled for putting the keyboard in a slide out tray under my seat, and the mouse on its own pedestal beside the yoke.

Previous Mouse Location

Previous Keyboard Location

I found a mini USB Keyboard that solves my location issues. It fits perfectly in the centre of the yoke. With this keyboard I can access the ATC keys and anything else I need easily, and it is not in the way.

I made a small shelf on the side of the yoke to place the mouse.

Now that I found a better place for the keyboard and mouse, I could get rid of the pedestal beside the yoke. I was then able to move the Tactile Transducer amp further forward to where the mouse pedestal was.

Previous Tactile Transducer Amp Location

Made a new Deck Plate where the hole for the Tactile Transducer was

New Tactile Transducer Amp Location

Then I started on a floor Panel for the Icing and Aileron Trim Controls.

Basic Wooden Box

Then I cut two top pieces for the box from sheet metal. I cut all the access holes for the switches.

Then I placed the two pieces together, and put the carriage bolts in.

The top painted and aged

Image[/url]

Wood Brackets to hold the box in place, and a hole cut in the deck plates for the switch wiring.

The box sitting on top of the brackets in place.
If anyone is wondering why there are two ceramic tiles on the floor, they are there because the castors of my seat kept digging into the floor, and wouldn't roll smoothly anymore. The tile is the only thing hard enough to support all the weight.

The underside showing the wiring. There is a 2 position rotary switch for the wing de-icer, A rotary encoder for the aileron trim , and a basic SPST Toggle switch for the prop anti icer.

I made the wing De-Ice switch from a mold I made previously for the Vacuum switch. I made the bottom switch plate from clay, and baked it in the oven.

The finished Floor Panel.

Bill

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks for the update Bill, hope your enjoying your ever evolving creation 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Thanks for the update Bill, hope your enjoying your ever evolving creation 8)

cheers,
Lewis
No problem Lewis!

The novelty still hasn't worn off, and it is still a pure delight to fly in! :D

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

After many years of using FSX, I was having a lot of issues with stuttering, slow loading, and occasional crashing. It finally came to the point of where I had to make a decision. Do I re-install FSX on three PC’s, do I invest in three licenses of P3D, or do I invest in three copies of FSX: Steam.

I had to re-install FSX boxed edition on one of my PC’s a few years ago and it was a very painful process. I have Win 7 Pro, and I kept having the issue where it would not install past a certain point. I tried all three of my DVD’s a few times, and finally managed to get it to finish installing. Then I had to install Acceleration, and the three SDK’s. Then I was able to install all of my add-ons. So I definitely did not want to go through all of this again.

The next option was whether to purchase three Student licenses of P3D. This was a very expensive option. It would cost me around $65 Cdn each adding up to $195, depending upon the value of the Canadian dollar at the time. My PC’s are good for FSX, but would probably labour in P3D so I would have to at least upgrade the video cards in two of the machines. That would add another $900 to the equation.

My other major concern with P3D is the compatibility of add-ons. The most important question is how much longer will the A2A B-17 continue to work in P3D V3. It would be a major catastrophe if it ceased to function and my cockpit would no longer be usable. It is a given that it will not work at all in a 64 bit P3D V4. So unless A2A come out with a new made for P3D B-17 that will be continuously updated with each new version, then I will have to stay with a version of FSX for the foreseeable future.

So I decided to wait until FSX: Steam came on sale and give it a try. When it did a few weeks ago, I bought three licenses at $8.29 Cdn each.

I took a leap of faith, and wiped all my PC’s clean of FSX, and started fresh with only FSX: Steam. By doing this, the install is treated the same as a boxed FSX install. Prior to installing FSX Steam, I deleted each one of my add-on’s and the SDK’s on all three PC’s. Then I uninstalled Acceleration, and finally FSX on all three PC’s. Then I deleted the Flight Simulator X folder in the My Documents folder, and the App Data/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder. I still had some files left over in the main FSX folder from add-ons so I manually deleted them. then I cleared the Registry of any remnants of the old FSX Installs

I did some research on Google prior to this to make sure I wasn’t missing anything vital to a good install.
There are a couple of good articles on what you need to do for a good FSX:SE install.

https://fsxinsider.com/installing-steam ... he-basics/

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/FSX%20Ste ... dition.pdf

I downloaded Steam, and installed FSX:SE on my three PC’s. This was a fast and easy process. After installing FSX:SE, I installed all the SDK’s. Then I installed all my add-ons. I just clicked on each install file and they were handled like a normal FSX install. For the add-ons that have a multiple installer, I clicked on FSX, not FSX:SE and they installed correctly.

There are some annoying things about FSX Steam Edition though. You get advertising on the opening page after you click on the start icon. You can switch off the online function, and run the sim offline. When you start up or re-start your PC you get a window telling you steam is offline and you have to click ok. These things bothered me at first, but I have gotten used to it.

All in all, I have been pretty happy with the performance. It is not a magic bullet or the best thing since sliced bread, but it is a bit smoother with less micro-stutters. I would not have converted over if my FSX boxed editions were working well, but the simplicity of the installation process alone made it worth wile. I would also not have considered it if it was not on sale. It was a cheap upgrade. :)

Bill

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Good to hear Bill, sounds like you are all set for a while yet 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

CH Pro Pedals Mod

Post by boris4356 »

Hi Guys,

The joystick in my home made rudder pedals died on me so I had to buy a new one. Instead of buying another cheap twist joystick and putting it into the old apparatus, I decided to buy the CH Pro Pedals and make a few additions to the original peddles.

First I had to make what I thought would be some simple minor alterations to the flight deck back and base. That turned out to be a major ordeal! I had to change the way the TV was mounted, and move around some of the supporting frames. Here is what it looked like when all that was done.

Back TV Support Alterations

I also inset the yoke so I would Have a smooth floor in front of the pedals

Yoke Inset Hole

Cover Back On

Then I put the pedals in the position they would be in to measure for the cutout to insert them into the flight deck base.

Then I cut out the area and made the support shelf.

Then I made a template of the pedals by pressing a piece of paper into the foot plate. I then traced it onto a piece of mdf. I only really needed the heel portion, but I did the whole thing in case I needed it later.

Then I cut out the pieces I needed. For the heel supports, I cut out a piece of 1/8" hardboard and 3/4" pine( # 3 & 4) and glued them together.
For the foot pedals I used 1x6 pine. It is 5 1/2" wide, so I cut two 6" and two 4 " pieces ( # 1 & 2). I cut 10 degree angles on one side of each piece, and then glued them together. I used pine because it is lighter, and glues together much better than MDF.

Then I screwed the heel supports into the heel cup on the pedals

Then I attached the foot pedale to the heel supports

Then I attached a piece of aluminum to the top surface of the foot pedals with double sided tape

Then I made a template for the aluminum sides. Each side of the pedal is comprised of two pieces of aluminum stuck to each other with double sided tape to give it thickness.

The sides attached to the pedals. There is a double thickness strip along the top, and there is an additional single thickness aluminum strip wrapped around each pedal to tie it all together.

Finished Front View

Finished Side View

In Place with a cosmetic cover plate

This mod made the pedals wider and put them in the right position making them easier and more comfortable to use. I can now fly without having my feet always on the pedals like I had to do with the old home made setup. I now have lots of room on the floor.

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 11 Jan 2019, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

Hi Bill, I just discovered this topic. I am absolutely astonished at what you've done. How in the world did you wire this? How did you learn to wire this? What system are you using to connect everything electrically? I ask because in real life I'm an Airframe and Powerplant Avionics tech and we overhaul the big jets, 767's and such. However, we use Boeing's detailed wiring diagrams. I'd love to know how you figured out all the connections.

As a former woodworker I'm also amazed at you ingenuity and clever use of materials to build this cockpit. Keep going and soon it'll be a replica in a museum.

Best regards,

Paul

Leagle
Airman Basic

Post by Leagle »

That's a great set up.
All those switches and wiring, it's such an amazing job.

I use a Vive so I have to click all the cockpit, which makes it difficult.
I'm hoping they bring out haptic gloves.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

B-17 Flier wrote:Hi Bill, I just discovered this topic. I am absolutely astonished at what you've done. How in the world did you wire this? How did you learn to wire this? What system are you using to connect everything electrically? I ask because in real life I'm an Airframe and Powerplant Avionics tech and we overhaul the big jets, 767's and such. However, we use Boeing's detailed wiring diagrams. I'd love to know how you figured out all the connections.

As a former woodworker I'm also amazed at you ingenuity and clever use of materials to build this cockpit. Keep going and soon it'll be a replica in a museum.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am flattered to receive compliments from someone with your qualifications. My system is really not very complicated. I used regular telephone wire and basic switch technology. I also use a PC power supply for the lights and fans.

I did a lot of research on the net to learn the basic electronic principles. I learned through trial and error by hacking a gaming joystick and soldering the contact points on the pcb to switches. Then I used the device software to program the functions in FSX. The next step was to get a BU0836X, and use FSUIPC to program the functions.

Woodworking is a hobby of mine, and I have always had a knack for being able to imagine and invent things. I downloaded Sketchup and learned to use it to design my cockpit. I learned to use Photoshop to design the graphics for the switches. I basically just eyeballed pictures to get the physical dimensions and proportions to fit my cockpit.

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Leagle wrote:That's a great set up.
All those switches and wiring, it's such an amazing job.

I use a Vive so I have to click all the cockpit, which makes it difficult.
I'm hoping they bring out haptic gloves.
Thanks Leagle!

Bill

B-17 Flier
Technical Sergeant

Post by B-17 Flier »

boris4356 wrote:
B-17 Flier wrote:Hi Bill, I just discovered this topic. I am absolutely astonished at what you've done. How in the world did you wire this? How did you learn to wire this? What system are you using to connect everything electrically? I ask because in real life I'm an Airframe and Powerplant Avionics tech and we overhaul the big jets, 767's and such. However, we use Boeing's detailed wiring diagrams. I'd love to know how you figured out all the connections.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for the kind words! I am flattered to receive compliments from someone with your qualifications. My system is really not very complicated. I used regular telephone wire and basic switch technology. I also use a PC power supply for the lights and fans.

I did a lot of research on the net to learn the basic electronic principles. I learned through trial and error by hacking a gaming joystick and soldering the contact points on the pcb to switches. Then I used the device software to program the functions in FSX. The next step was to get a BU0836X, and use FSUIPC to program the functions.

Woodworking is a hobby of mine, and I have always had a knack for being able to imagine and invent things. I downloaded Sketchup and learned to use it to design my cockpit. I learned to use Photoshop to design the graphics for the switches. I basically just eyeballed pictures to get the physical dimensions and proportions to fit my cockpit.

Bill
You're welcome Bill, very nice job, I'm incredibly amazed at what you've done. So when you connected it all to the BU0836X, then what? How did you get FSUIPC through FSX to see it? I use FSUIPC in P3D but not for my Saitek gear, I only use it to log VAS. I use the Saitek SSI software as I need the three modes which the rotary switch allows me have triple button assignments. I don't like to even touch a keyboard unless I'm placing a plane at an airport.
So if you don't mind explaining the connection between the BU0836X and FSUIPC I'd be very interested. Wiring diagrams would be interesting as that's my second language.
You must love this thing!

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Great to see you "at it" again Bill!!
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

B-17 Flier wrote:
boris4356 wrote:

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Bill
You're welcome Bill, very nice job, I'm incredibly amazed at what you've done. So when you connected it all to the BU0836X, then what? How did you get FSUIPC through FSX to see it? I use FSUIPC in P3D but not for my Saitek gear, I only use it to log VAS. I use the Saitek SSI software as I need the three modes which the rotary switch allows me have triple button assignments. I don't like to even touch a keyboard unless I'm placing a plane at an airport.
So if you don't mind explaining the connection between the BU0836X and FSUIPC I'd be very interested. Wiring diagrams would be interesting as that's my second language.
You must love this thing!
Hi Paul,

There is a function in FSUIPC that you can use to log LVARS. It will give you a log that looks like this:

********* LUA: "log lvars" Log [from FSUIPC version 4.60a] *********
1138375 System time = 02/04/2010 18:11:59, Simulator time = 17:55:48 (01:55Z)
1138375 LUA: beginning "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\log lvars.lua"
1138406 LUA: L:BombBayDoorLeft=0
1138421 LUA: L:BombBayDoorRight=0
1138421 LUA: L:ElecPower=0
1138421 LUA: L:BombDoorsLamp=0
1138421 LUA: L:SuctionLowLamp=0
1138421 LUA: L:InverterOn=0
1138453 LUA: L:MarkerBeaconLamp=0
1138468 LUA: L:OxyPressure=0
1138500 LUA: L:OxyPilotWarnLamp=0
1138500 LUA: L:LandingGearLflat=0
1138500 LUA: L:LandingGearLflatFactor=99
1138500 LUA: L:LandingGearRflat=0
1138500 LUA: L:LandingGearRflatFactor=99
1138500 LUA: L:GlobeTestSwitch=0
1138500 LUA: L:LGearSafeLamp=0
1138500 LUA: L:Eng4_CarbFilterOff=0
1138531 LUA: L:CarbFilterOffWarnLamp4=0
1138531 LUA: L:Eng3_CarbFilterOff=0
1138546 LUA: L:CarbFilterOffWarnLamp3=0
1138546 LUA: L:Eng2_CarbFilterOff=0
1138546 LUA: L:CarbFilterOffWarnLamp2=0
1138546 LUA: L:Eng1_CarbFilterOff=0
1138546 LUA: L:CarbFilterOffWarnLamp1=0
1138546 LUA: L:TailWheelLockOffLamp=0
1138546 LUA: L:OxyCoPilotWarnLamp=0
1138546 LUA: L:HydraulicPressure=0
1138546 LUA: L:HydraulicsLowLamp=0
1138546 LUA: L:BomberCallSwitch=0
1138578 LUA: L:BomberCallSwitchLamp=0

This is only a very small excerpt from it.

Then you make a MCRO.cfg file in notepad, and name it anything you want. Mine is called 1B17.MCRO.
Here is a copy of mine. It contains every function you will need for the B-17. There are some blank spaces and duplicate entries, but that doesn't affect the function. I have everything but the kitchen sink in it from when I was setting every thing up. I have never got around to cleaning it up.

[Macros]

1=L:Co2ReleaseBottle1Switch=TOGGLE
2=L:Co2ReleaseBottle1Switch=SET
3=L:Co2ReleaseBottle2Switch=TOGGLE
4=L:Co2ReleaseBottle2Switch=SET
5=L:FireEngineSelected=INC
6=L:FireEngineSelected=DEC
7=L:ParkingBrakeOn=SET
8=L:Headphones=SET
9=L:Starter12Start=SET
10=L:Starter34Start=SET
11=L:Starter12Mesh=SET
12=L:Starter34Mesh=SET
13=L:APUSwitch=SET
14=L:PrimerOn=TOGGLE
15=L:ApuStarterGenSwitch=SET
16=L:Eng1_GeneratorSwitch=SET
17=L:Eng2_GeneratorSwitch=SET
18=L:Eng3_GeneratorSwitch=SET
19=L:Eng4_GeneratorSwitch=SET
20=L:InverterSwitch=SET
21=L:Eng1_IntercoolerLever
22=L:Eng2_IntercoolerLever
23=L:Eng3_IntercoolerLever
24=L:Eng4_IntercoolerLever
25=L:Battery1Switch=SET
26=L:Battery2Switch=SET
27=L:Battery3Switch=SET
28=L:Eng1FuelCutOffSwitch=SET
29=L:Eng2FuelCutOffSwitch=SET
30=L:Eng3FuelCutOffSwitch=SET
31=L:Eng4FuelCutOffSwitch=SET
32=L:MasterIgnitionSwitch=SET
33=L:TailWheelLock=SET
34=L:LandingFlaps=SET
35=L:LandingGearLever=SET
36=L:LandingFlapsLever=SET
37=L:Feather1Switch=TOGGLE
38=L:Feather2Switch=TOGGLE
39=L:Feather3Switch=TOGGLE
40=L:Feather4Switch=TOGGLE
41=L:Eng1_FuelBoostON=SET
42=L:Eng2_FuelBoostON=SET
43=L:Eng3_FuelBoostON=SET
44=L:Eng4_FuelBoostON=SET
45=L:Eng1_OilDilute=SET
46=L:Eng2_OilDilute=SET
47=L:Eng3_OilDilute=SET
48=L:Eng4_OilDilute=SET
49=L:CarbFilterOnSwitch=SET
50=L:SuitHeater0=INC
51=L:SuitHeater0=DEC
53=L:WindowSliding1Lever=SET
54=L:WindowSliding2Lever=SET
55=L:HydrModeSwitch=SET
56=L:ReleasePayloadSwitch=SET
57-L:PanelSubLightSwitch=SET
58=L:OxyEmergencyValve=SET
59=L:WindowSliding1Lever=INC
60=L:WindowSliding1Lever=DEC
61=L:WindowSliding2Lever=INC
62=L:WindowSliding2Lever=DEC
63=L:SuitHeater1=INC
64=L:SuitHeater1=DEC
65=L:Eng1_IntercoolerLever=INC
66=L:Eng1_IntercoolerLever=DEC
67=L:Eng2_IntercoolerLever=INC
68=L:Eng2_IntercoolerLever=DEC
69=L:Eng3_IntercoolerLever=INC
70=L:Eng3_IntercoolerLever=DEC
71=L:Eng4_IntercoolerLever=INC
71=L:Eng4_IntercoolerLever=DEC
73=L:PanelLightSwitch=SET
74=L:BombBayDoorSwitch=SET
75=L:ControlsLock=SET
76=L:WindowSliding1Lever=TOGGLE
77=L:WindowSliding2Lever=TOGGLE
78=L:OxyMaskOn=SET
79=L:BomberCallSwitch=SET
80=L:BombeRelease=SET
81=L:LightRecogWhiteSwitch=SET
82=L:LightRecogAmberSwitch=SET
83=L:LightRecogGreenSwitch=SET
84=L:LightRecogRedSwitch=SET
85=L:UVlight=INC
86=L:UVlight=DEC
87=L:DialTurbocharger=INC
88=L:DialTurbocharger=DEC
89=L:LeverTurbocharger=TOGGLE
90=L:HydrHandPump=Set
91=L:OxyFlowModeValve=SET
92=L:OxySupply=SET
93=L:DeicerWingSwitch=SET
94=L:DeicerPropSwitch=SET
96=L:ParkingBrakeLever=SET
97=L:AlarmBellSwitch=SET
98=L:PhoneCallSwitch=SET
99=L:GearHornSwitch=SET
100=L:VacuumSelSwitch=SET
101=L:InterphoneJack1Switch=SET
102=L:PanelSubLightSwitch=SET
103=L:InstrumentLightCounter=SET
104=L:InstrumentLightKnob1State=INC
105=L:InstrumentLightKnob1State=DEC
117=L:Co2ReleasedBottle1=INC
118=L:Co2ReleasedBottle1=DEC
119=L:Co2ReleasedBottle2=INC
120=L:Co2ReleasedBottle2=DEC
121=L:MasterIgnitionSwitch=SET
122=L:HydrHandPumpUP=SET
124=L:ControlLock1=SET
125=L:ControlLock2=SET
126=L:ControlLockRudElev=SET
127=L:ControlLockAilerons=SET
128=L:RadioChannelSwitch=INC
129=L:RadioChannelSwitch=DEC
131=L:OxyMaskOn=TOGGLE
132=L:BomberCallSwitch=SET
133=L:OxyMaskOn=SET
133=L:ControlsLock=SET
134=L:Headphones=SET
135=L:DialTurbocharger=SET
136=L:AutoCoPilotCowl=SET
137=L:AutoCoPilotInter=SET
139=L:TurretsON=SET
140=L:ColdStartButton=SET
141=L:FuelTransferPumpSwitch=SET
142=L:ControlsLocked=SET
143=L:ReleasePayload=SET
144=L:BombBayDoorSwitch=SET
145=L:TokyoTanks=SET
146=L:CowlFlapsSpeedKnob=SET
147=L:LeverTurbocharger=SET
148=L:ColdStartButton=TOGGLE
149=L:RadioFilter1SwitchState=SET
150=L:InterphoneJack1SwitchState=SET
157=L:FireEngineSelected=SET
158=L:FireEngineSelected=CYCLIC
159=L:PrimerSel=SET
160=L:PrimerSel=CYCLIC
161=L:InstrumentLightKnob1State=CYCLIC
162=L:InstrumentLightKnob1State=CYCLIC
165=L:FireEngineSelected=SET
170=L:AutoStartButton=SET
171=L:ColdStartButton=SET
172=L:OxyMaskOn=TOGGLE
173=L:WindowSliding1Lever=CYC
174=L:CowlFlap1SwitchPos=SET
175=L:CowlFlap2SwitchPos=SET
176=L:CowlFlap3SwitchPos=SET
177=L:CowlFlap4SwitchPos=SET
178=L:Magnetos1=SET
179=L:Magnetos2=SET
180=L:Magnetos3=SET
181=L:Magnetos4=SET
182=L:UVlight=SET
184=L:TurretsON=SET
185=L:InstrumentLightKnob1State=SET
186=L:CabinVent=SET
187=L:Vol01234SelState=SET
188=L:WindowSliding1LeverPast=SET
189=L:WindowSliding2LeverPast=SET

You place the MCRO file in the Modules folder in FSUIPC. Then you open up FSUIPC wheh your aircraft is loaded, and click on the buttons and switches tab. Flip the switch you want to program, and it will show up in the PRESS BUTTON window. THEN check the Select for FS control box. All the available functions will appear in the "Control sent when button pressed box". Because I put a 1 in front of my MCRO file name, all the B-17 functions will appear at the beginning. then you select the appropriate action for the switch type, ie Set, TOGGLE, INC, DEC. Some functions require a Control sent when button released command, and some need parameters as well. Unfortunately I don't have any wiring diagrams to show you. It is all in my head.

FSUIPC can be very confusing, and If it weren't for Paul (GypsyBaron) who helped me immensely, my cockpit would never have been possible. He is a genius at coding and scripting anything!

I hope this helps.

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Killratio wrote:Great to see you "at it" again Bill!!
Hey Darryl!

Good to hear from you!

I see you have been busy as well!

Awesome pit!

Bill

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”