B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

A Living Legend
kford
Airman Basic

Re: B-17 Enclosed Home Cockpit Project

Post by kford »

Maybe I missed it, but what's the name of this bird anyway!? In your startup video, looks like you might have some room for your "nose art" to the upper left above the windows.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

kford wrote:Maybe I missed it, but what's the name of this bird anyway!? In your startup video, looks like you might have some room for your "nose art" to the upper left above the windows.

I fly Sleepy Time Gal

Last edited by boris4356 on 22 Nov 2015, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Bill....

Thats a pretty d*mn spectacular setup you've got there. I love the thought processes and workarounds you've come up with to make stuff work....top marks !!

I'm a new guy here, but like you and Darryl (I know D from another forum) I'm also building a Cockpit. However, I've been concentrating on the build and am only now just getting ...or trying to get :-)...my head around the electronics and interfaces required to make my Babe come alive.

Your build shots...and D's...will be very usefull to me especially the wiring side of things. All I've managed to do so far is get my throttle working, but I haven't actually done any work on her for at least the past 4 months. Your build threads have given me the necessary 'prod' to get back out there and carry on building.

Looking forward to the next update.
Cheers

Gary

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

There goes the neighbourhood.... :P :P
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

geedee wrote:Bill....

Thats a pretty d*mn spectacular setup you've got there. I love the thought processes and workarounds you've come up with to make stuff work....top marks !!

I'm a new guy here, but like you and Darryl (I know D from another forum) I'm also building a Cockpit. However, I've been concentrating on the build and am only now just getting ...or trying to get :-)...my head around the electronics and interfaces required to make my Babe come alive.

Your build shots...and D's...will be very usefull to me especially the wiring side of things. All I've managed to do so far is get my throttle working, but I haven't actually done any work on her for at least the past 4 months. Your build threads have given me the necessary 'prod' to get back out there and carry on building.

Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks Gary!

What aircraft are you basing your cockpit on?

Bill

geedee
Airman

Post by geedee »

Hi Bill. I'm building a 'Little Friend' and have started a thread in the '51 section. I'll be taking some ideas from your build when I start on 'lets get things working' angle, fairly shortly :-)
Cheers

Gary

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

geedee wrote:
Hi Bill. I'm building a 'Little Friend' and have started a thread in the '51 section. I'll be taking some ideas from your build when I start on 'lets get things working' angle, fairly shortly :-)
Hi Gary,

Awesome cockpit you have there! I'll be watching your progress with interest!

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Been a while since I posted, so I thought I would give an update.

I found that having all of my ventilation fans on the main power supply switch was inefficient. I rewired the fans so that each one had its own separate switch in addition to the main DC power supply. This way I had more control over the interior air circulation and temperature of the cockpit. I placed the switches in the overhead panel. I also added some mood lighting which I will describe later.

I have 6 fans, wired to a terminal strip. The terminal strip connects each switch to the DC Power Supply.

Fan and Light Switches Panel Front

Fan and Light Switches Panel Back

Terminal Strips

Power Supply Connector

Overhead Panel

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 22 Nov 2015, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

I found that the interior of the cockpit was too dark, and I needed to light up the canvas simulated overhead windows. I wanted to simulate natural light coming in from overhead as in the real B-17.

I originally oil painted a cloudy sky on the canvass, but found that it did not really look very good. I blended in more white paint to take away most of the detail of the clouds, and make it seem closer to a glass window instead of cloudscapes. Then I added L shaped window channels around the frame, and put in cool white LED lighting. I tried warm white, but it did not have the right feel. The LED Light strips are connected to the overhead light switches and terminal strips shown in the previous post

The overall effect is just what I was going for. It feels just like there are real overhead windows with natural light coming in.

Light channels

Light Channels prepared with Gesso

Light Channels Painted

Led Light Strips soldered together and ready to go into the Light Channels

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 22 Nov 2015, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

I found that the point of view out the front window just didn't seem right no matter how I changed it graphically, so I did some modifications on the glare shield. I raised it up by adding a strip on the bottom, and made a new aluminum covering.

It gives a more authentic rounded panel view now as you can't see the corners of the front monitor anymore. I also sloped the side glare shield panels and made new aluminum coverings.

Centre

Left

Right

The glare shield before the modifications.

This was the answer to my point of view issues. Now it feels like I am in a tail dragger. It is harder to see when taxiing on the ground, and I see the forward views move up and down as the tail lifts up and down.

While I was doing the mods I made a D-Sub quick connect for the Feather switches. They connect to to the BU0836X card inside the Co-Pilots Panel, and it was a real pain to feed through whenever I had to do any maintenance. I also made the centre glare shield panel free floating so I could just lift it up instead of unscrewing 30 screws.

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 24 Nov 2015, 00:18, edited 2 times in total.

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

Nice work, as always Bill!

Paul

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

I made sliders to open the windows using linear pots.

I also finished the radio volume Knob and the gyro switch.

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 24 Nov 2015, 00:43, edited 2 times in total.

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

Gypsy Baron wrote:Nice work, as always Bill!

Paul

Thanks Paul!

Bill

boris4356
Staff Sergeant

Post by boris4356 »

I finally gave up trying to magnify my electrical panel gauges to appear closer. The monitor is 1/2" away from the cover to allow for the clearance of the switches and the wiring, and the front cover is 1/4". That makes the gauges 3/4" deep.

I tried using Fresnel sheet magnifiers to see if I could make the gauges appear closer. All that did was make the gauges appear larger, not closer, and distorted the image depending upon the angle you were looking.

I just made circular covers for the gauge openings and called it a day. I can see the gauges alright though, so it is not a total loss.

Bill
Last edited by boris4356 on 24 Nov 2015, 00:45, edited 1 time in total.

altack
Senior Airman

Post by altack »

Great show, as usual :wink:

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”