Brakes

A Living Legend
new reply
Artur
Staff Sergeant

Brakes

Post by Artur »

I found brakes as very tricky to use in B17.
The only way to stop or slow down the plane is to make several tapping, there is no possibility to push brake and hold it.
'Tapping" is causing hydraulic pump to work almost continuously, which is shortening pump life time, and i think it is not realistic.
If brakes are hold on more than one second then whole plane is flipping over, or at least tail wheel is lifted which is also quite awkward.

I have tried to change brake sensitivity in FSX control settings, but even using lowest sensitivity, still braking is very difficult with tendency to lift tail wheel.
I was just wondering if brakes ( braking force ) are as accurate as all other plane parameters/characteristics ?
If not, then maybe A2A could do some small tool which will help to adjust brakes sensitivity ?

If i am completely wrong in this subject then please correct and guide me.

Art

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Brakes

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I use differential braking, tap left then right, etc. Also, pull the yoke back
to use the elevators as an additional braking aid.

I have over 1500 hours on my airframe and have yet to replace the hydraulic pump, FWIW.

In my setup I use the rudder pedals to get the differential braking and the 'trigger' on
my stick to activate the brakes. Also, keep the speed down while taxiing to avoid
needing excessive braking.
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

But i think "tapping" is not normal technique for braking B17 ( i mean real life )
My thinking is that brake power should be adjusted in such way that applying moderate brake pressure will not cause plane flipping over or lifting tail wheel.

Art

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

How do you brake? Keypad or rudder peddles?

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

I'm using joystick trigger button.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

So then I will assume that you don't have rudder pedals with toe brakes!

You will have the best results by assigning two buttons on your yoke to the brakes, one left and the other right. Or, use the keypad controls which is Numpad (-) and Numpad (+) for right and left brakes.

An observation would be that your speed may be too great if, when you touch the brake, the nose dips down or strikes the tarmac.

If you only have one throttle control with you yoke, it makes sense to use the throttle control 2D window (shift+8). See page 131 in the A2A manual if you need to know how it works. Basically, it allows you to use any combination of engines at one time. The engines were used extensively to assist with ground movement. To make a left turn, select engine 4 use that to turn the plane towards the right while leaving the others idle. Some people advocate selecting both engines, its up to you which works best for your setup. Regardless, using the engines to help turn and tapping the brakes to assist or slow the turn works very well. It does take practice!

1. Make sure you have differential braking set up.
2. Use your engines to assist in turning
3. Keep your taxi speed down.
4. Tap your brakes to control the turn (if you need)
5 use both brakes gently to stop.

Practice!

Artur
Staff Sergeant

Post by Artur »

Jacques,

All of info given by you is well known for me.
Taxi is also not a big problem, mainly i am talking about situation after landing when plane is still running straight forward on the runway.
Then touching brakes can easily flip over whole plane.
Sometimes u must slow down plane faster, especially when u missed touching zone and runway is short, or u want to taxi out specific route.
Of course if u let plane slow down using whole runway length, and vacate at last exit then braking is not an issue.

Art

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

When I land I do like Gypsy Baron said. I pull back on the yoke and then brake. I find that while the aircraft is going quickly you can use constant braking to slow if needed then tap the brakes when the nose starts to dip when the B-17 slows down. I use this methood on short runways and it works well for me.

Hope this helps
Keep smiling
Tug :)

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

I have no problem with the brakes but that's just me. I keep the speeds low on landing (winds permitting) and use full back pressure on yoke to keep tail wheel on ground. If it is a short field I won't commit to the landing if I miss my touchdown point. I just go around until I get it right.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

new reply

Return to “B-17 Flying Fortress”