3 of the 5 planes crash me!

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Redsteak
Airman Basic

3 of the 5 planes crash me!

Post by Redsteak »

Here is the story, I buy a boxed version of WWII FIGHTERS, and I install it. The P-51 and the ZERO work absolutely fine, and I love them. But for the Bf-109 and the Spitfire, they crash when I do the following: first I switch to spot view. Then when I decide to go back to the Virtual Cockpit, this "Fatal Error" message pops up. For the P-47, I recieve the error message right when I go to spot view. Also, my computer specs greatly pass the requirements of the addon, so I think it might be a corrupt copy. All help is greatly appreciated! I hope there is a solution to this problem... :(

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

This is odd. Is this for FSX or FS2004?
A2A Simulations Inc.

Redsteak
Airman Basic

Post by Redsteak »

This is for FSX, also, I had my friend test my planes and they work perfectly. I know I installed it right.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Do you know what video card and sound card you have?
A2A Simulations Inc.

Redsteak
Airman Basic

Post by Redsteak »

Nvidia GeForce 6200 (256 mb) If I remember correctly. Also I have FSX service pack 1 installed.

wizziwaz
Airman Basic

Post by wizziwaz »

I get this issue as well (or a similar one - no fatal error just complete crash) especially with the Spitfire and the P47, updating the nvidia drivers didn't help. You can fly all day in the VC its just when you swap views to external and sometimes when going from external back to the VC. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FSX with SP1 but doesn't seem to make any difference. I also turned down the game settings but all this does is slow down the inevitable crash.

I have an nvidia 7600 GT card and a high spec 6 month old Intel dual core system with 2 GB RAM, so performance isn't a problem. I am wondering if its an nvidia card problem?

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

I believe this is sound related. A quick way to test is to remove the sound folder from the aircraft you are testing and see if the crash goes away.
A2A Simulations Inc.

blue six
BDG & A2A

Post by blue six »

Hi Redsteak and wizziwaz. The FSX freeze you're encountering when changing views is a well known problem that seems to have crept in with SP1. Have a look over at the Avsim FSX forum and you'll see lots of discussion (look under "msvcr80.dll crash" as well as "crash when changing views" in the "CTD" area.)

The jury seems to be out as to whether this is an MS or nVidia issue. It does seem pretty clear that the problem is mostly encountered with add-on aircraft, and certainly not just those from Shockwave. I've found that the more complex the terrain I'm flying over, the more likely I'll get a freeze if I change views. The freeze always comes as I cycle back to the virtual cockpit view. I'm on an nVidia 7800 GT OC card.

I've not tried Scott's suggestion, but have found some improvement by de-selecting "aircraft casts shadow on itself" at the "aircraft" tab in "Settings/Display." You might want to give that a try. Please let us know if it works for you.

Best wishes,

blue six

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I recently had the 'crash on returning to VC' problem too. It started after I had been making some changes to my configuration based on info on the Nvidia site. I did a lot of online research and found one tip that worked for me :wink: .

It turns out that I had inadvertently turned on anti-aliasing in the FSX control panel as well as having anti-aliasing turned on in the Nvidia control panel.

I disabled AA in FSX and guess what.....no more CTDs on returning to the cockpit! :lol: It appears that having AA turned on in two locations was causing the problems...for me at least.

Check your configuration Ken in case you have the same problem going on.
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

blue six
BDG & A2A

Post by blue six »

Thanks Larry, great tip, I think you've nailed it.

I re-set "a/c casts shadows on itself" to "ON" and confirmed that I got the freeze again ( I test for the freezes by taking off from Toronto City Centre in the Spit 1a and switching views while turning left over SkyDome). When FSX froze at the VC view, I noticed something that I hadn't seen before, a bad case of the jaggies on the wing leading edges. I think this supports your suggestion that this issue is AA-related.

AA was set "ON" in both places so I de-selected it in FSX and so far so good.

Many thanks,

Ken (blue six)

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Glad it worked for you Ken. It's odd that you mention Toronto City Centre as that is one airport I use a lot for testing too...lol. When I was running take off and landing tests while beta-testing the P.40 I used that as there are four airports in close proximity so you can take off from one and land at another within a few minutes.

When I first got FSX I tried the default chopper (Robinson?) and just for fun I took off from TCC and put it down INSIDE the Skydome! :shock:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

wizziwaz
Airman Basic

Post by wizziwaz »

:D

Excellent!! I can fly these fantastic aircraft again without a single crash!

Thanks guys for the advice. I had antialiasing set to application controlled in the nvidia panel, switched it off and no issues since.

Brilliant!

Keep up the good work shockwave P40 is stunning.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”