Still struggling with the 109

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Pizzicato
Airman

Still struggling with the 109

Post by Pizzicato »

Hi guys,

I'm still having a couple of strange difficulties with the various Me-109s. Neither of these problems is insurmountable or utterly critical, but I'm just a little bemused by them...

1. I have the 1.2 patch, but I'm still finding that the aircraft is VERY nose-heavy - even with a full fuel load. Anything more than a half-second tap on the brakes at 10-20 kph immediately dumps it on its nose. Even if I just tap it repeatedly at those speeds, the tail instantly starts to lift. This goes completely against the documented observation that the Me-109 is naturally very tail-heavy.

2. Trying to follow the take-off instructions results in a smashed up aircraft - every time. As I push the throttle forward, I find that the 109 has a strong tendency to yaw to the left. This requires right rudder in order to keep the aircraft pointing straight down the runway. However, if I'm holding the stick fully forward and to the right (as instructed in the documentation) and then apply the required right rudder, the aircraft immediately tips its win and crashes. This occurs no matter how gently and smoothly I push the throttle forward.

With regard to the latter point, I find that the only way to get the aircraft safely and smoothly off the ground is to:

- apply a little downward trim on the elevators
- 20 degrees flaps (as advertised)
- push the stick fully foward but NOT to the right
- 11:30 for the prop pitch (as advertised)
- ATA at around 0.8 to 1.0 (NOT 1.25 as stated in the documentation)
- right rudder as required (about half to two-thirds deflection)

I then maintain this until the aircraft is stable and straight at around 200kph, easing off the forward pitch as speed increases. At this point I advance the throttle to around 1.2 and begin my climb away from the ground. This seems to work just fine for me, but it's quite a way from the "by the book" version in the instructions.

I'm interested in finding a solution to this simply because if these behaviours are so far from what is to be expected, maybe the rest of the experience is "wrong", too.

Incidentally, I'm not suggesting that there is a problem with the software - I'm happy to accept that this is user error on my part. Anyway, any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Well, don't know quite what to say...this plane flies like a dream on this rig. Yeah, it needs a LOT of right rudder but there are no special problems. This really seems to be a system issue, perhaps with your controllers. We recommend a reinstall just to make sure, but what you are describing is not the plane we sold.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Just had to take this beast for a flight in FSX.

Yes, it is a CHALLENGE to track straight down a dirt runway and lift off at the proper speed, but it can absolutely be done.

This is not a beginner's plane, it reflects a real challenge for the experienced flight simmer but is HUGELY rewarding when it's done right. You do need to "cheat" a little bit with the views, though. Use CTRL-SHIFT-BACKSPACE to move your eyepoint to the left of the cockpit, just outside it, as if you were sticking your head outside to see the runway. If you can see the edge of the runway, you'll be able to track a lot better. Of course you can always use the minipanel but that REALLY is cheating...

In FSX, I just took off from a small dirt strip in Kansas, 1600 feet elevation. She tracked perfectly straight down the runway, leaving a real nice cloud of dust, and lifted off in a three-point attitude at exactly 146 kph IAS, or 80 knots IAS. Pulled up the gear right away, did a nice loop, leaving some beautiful vapor trails from the wings, and brought her in. Did a bumpy landing but straightened her out and got her lined up and stopped without any real problems. BTW, you can LOCK the wheels in FSX and NEVER hit the prop if you're on dirt...just like the real thang.

You just need to practice...we can post screenies and movies if you need to see 'em. :wink:

Pizzicato
Airman

Post by Pizzicato »

SD_Research wrote:Just had to take this beast for a flight in FSX.

Yes, it is a CHALLENGE to track straight down a dirt runway and lift off at the proper speed, but it can absolutely be done.

This is not a beginner's plane, it reflects a real challenge for the experienced flight simmer but is HUGELY rewarding when it's done right. You do need to "cheat" a little bit with the views, though. Use CTRL-SHIFT-BACKSPACE to move your eyepoint to the left of the cockpit, just outside it, as if you were sticking your head outside to see the runway. If you can see the edge of the runway, you'll be able to track a lot better. Of course you can always use the minipanel but that REALLY is cheating...

In FSX, I just took off from a small dirt strip in Kansas, 1600 feet elevation. She tracked perfectly straight down the runway, leaving a real nice cloud of dust, and lifted off in a three-point attitude at exactly 146 kph IAS, or 80 knots IAS. Pulled up the gear right away, did a nice loop, leaving some beautiful vapor trails from the wings, and brought her in. Did a bumpy landing but straightened her out and got her lined up and stopped without any real problems. BTW, you can LOCK the wheels in FSX and NEVER hit the prop if you're on dirt...just like the real thang.

You just need to practice...we can post screenies and movies if you need to see 'em. :wink:
Hi SD,

Thanks for the responses - very much appreciated.

I'm actually using the 109 in FS2004 not FSX, but I don't see that this would make any difference. I'd definitely like to take you up on your offer of video instruction on how to take-off in the 109. That would give me a good idea of where the problem actually lies.

In the meantime, I think I'll take your advice and try uninstalling and then reinstalling, just to see if anything has been messed up along the way.

Thanks again.

Pizzi

thefrog
Airman

Post by thefrog »

I found the same thing with the 109's brakes in FS2004. I just modified the toe brakes scale in the aircraft.cfg from 0.9 to 0.5 and it's now perfect - no more tipping onto its nose on every dab of the brakes key! (I haven't got toe brakes on my rudder pedals). Thanks for a brilliant plane. Dave.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”