WWIIF Online (FSX)

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Manta
Airman First Class

WWIIF Online (FSX)

Post by Manta »

Yesterday I had one of my greatest experiences online flying with the Emil in close formation with a Spit MkI. Absolutely beautiful! 8) Once we land, I noticed that the rear gear is fixed though the a/c is steering and I couldn't see the other cockpit slides open (the other pilot assuered me it was open up).

cheers

EDIT: I've seen that Emil takes into account the motorkannone weight, actually no Emil ever flown with that built in.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: WWIIF Online (FSX)

Post by SD_Research »

Manta wrote:Yesterday I had one of my greatest experiences online flying with the Emil in close formation with a Spit MkI. Absolutely beautiful! 8) Once we land, I noticed that the rear gear is fixed though the a/c is steering and I couldn't see the other cockpit slides open (the other pilot assuered me it was open up).

cheers

EDIT: I've seen that Emil takes into account the motorkannone weight, actually no Emil ever flown with that built in.
Not sure what you mean, are you saying no Emil ever used the 20mm cannon that fires through the propeller hub? Or are you thinking of something else? This payload is the weight of the ammunition for that gun, not the gun itself. It can be removed if desired to fly the bird "unloaded" as it would be in a civilian version.

We used very detailed information about what the guns, ammunition, and accessories for this aircraft weighed and where they were located, and included the ammo weight as a station load to better recreate the weight and balance characteristics of the plane, as has been our standard practice with all of the Wings of Power and WWII Fighters aircraft. You can see we even included the ballast weight to accurately reproduce the pitching moments created by having these various weights (fuel and ballast) located so far from the center of gravity.

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

Hi SD_R, thanks for your reply :) ,

yes, no Emil ever used te 20mm cannon hub that fires through the propeller hub. At first Messerschmitts thought it possible, that's why we see that hole in the propeller spin, but not any cannon ever lodged inside it and no ammo ever of course.

I'm quite new with FSX and never purchased or flown FS9 for that matters, so I'm starting to learn for the first time the GUI. I've noticed that by default we have the ammonitions weight for the motorcannon, but actually there shouldn't exist any string at all concerning that kind of weight.

BTW WWIIFs are e real piece of art, with a FM highly believable, and I'm so excited to fly them that I have just purchased the Heavies for FSX.

Cheers

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Manta wrote:Hi SD_R, thanks for your reply :) ,

yes, no Emil ever used te 20mm cannon hub that fires through the propeller hub. At first Messerschmitts thought it possible, that's why we see that hole in the propeller spin, but not any cannon ever lodged inside it and no ammo ever of course.

I'm quite new with FSX and never purchased or flown FS9 for that matters, so I'm starting to learn for the first time the GUI. I've noticed that by default we have the ammonitions weight for the motorcannon, but actually there shouldn't exist any string at all concerning that kind of weight.

BTW WWIIFs are e real piece of art, with a FM highly believable, and I'm so excited to fly them that I have just purchased the Heavies for FSX.

Cheers
So in the "field" that piece of equipment was deleted? Unusual, all our sources indicate it was an "installed accessory" but I have no doubt there is truth in what you say. Will need to investigate this, can you provide some sources where we could look it up? If this is the case with all production planes we may amend the weight if there is a future update?

Thanks for that info!

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

Of course :D , let me check through the tons of books I own (many to be read yet :lol: ), I'll let you know.

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

As per your request, I post here text from:

Aerodetail 1 page 56

... so the improvement of E1's armament was urgently required. The newly conceived model of 109E series was to have two 20mm MGFF cannons in place of MG17 guns in the wing, and another MGFF to fire through the propeller shaft, as well as two MG17 guns in the nose cowling. With these two MG17 7.92mm guns and three MGFF 20mm cannons it would become a formidable fighter. The prototype for this model was Bf109V20(W.Nr5601, CE+BM) and a small number was produced as Bf109E-2. They have served in II./JG 27 for operational evaluetion during Aug. 1940 in Battle of Britain, but as their coaxial MGFF 20mm cannon was pragued with troubles of vibration so much that the model proved not suitable for operational use, the production of Bf109E-2 in large number was abandoned.

from

Squadron Signal - In Action n.44 page 28

...The Bf 109E-2 had been another unsuccessfull attempt at introducing the enging mounted MG FF cannon. Again vibration and jamming of the engine mounted weapon caused its rejection. A handful of these machines were believed to have been produced and there is evidence that suggests II./JG27 operated a few of this type

If you would need more reference, you can try to post at this forum:

http://www.150gct.it/modules.php?name=Forums

there are WWII researchers whom speak English very well, they'll be delighted I'm sure to share their knowledge with you.

BTW, I'm going to upload visual reference and send you a link through PM.

Thanks

Manta

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

SD_Research I have sent you a PM on 1st of January but it is still in my outbox. Can you check it please?

Thanks

Cheers

Manta
Airman First Class

Post by Manta »

bump

Tobruk
Senior Airman

Post by Tobruk »

I think Manta might be right
* Early Bf-109F variants were armed with two MG-17 7.9 millimeter machine guns in the cowling and an MG-FF/M 20 millimeter Motorkanone. While moving back to the engine-mounted gun must have worried Messerschmitt engineers, pilots had indicated that they preferred concentrating the guns in the nose to obtain more focused and effective firepower than could be obtained by placing guns in the wings. This decision was to prove controversial, since although Luftwaffe aces could make effective use of such armament, other pilots would protest that they required heavier armament and a wider field of fire than needed by the sharp-shooting aces.
http://www.vectorsite.net/avbf109_2.html

Did some reading and Manta is correct.

And then again...
Armament was heavy in the later fighters, even on the E model 3 20-mms were considered standard. Wing guns also became popular, and they were fitted either in the wing itself or in removable packs on the underside.
http://members.tripod.com/Air_Museum_ww2/id49.htm

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”