Spitfire armaments question

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Spitfire armaments question

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I'm adding gun effects to my WWIIF planes just for fun.

I'm a little confused about the guns on the Spitfire though.
The specs sheet with the special edition disc says that the Spitfire has 4 .303 Mg's and 2 20mm cannon, however the skin for the plane seems to have 8 gun ports painted on the wings.

So which is right, the spec sheet or the skin ?
And which ports should be Mg's and which cannon ?

SD_Research
A2A Major

Re: Spitfire armaments question

Post by SD_Research »

Dangerous Beans wrote:I'm adding gun effects to my WWIIF planes just for fun.

I'm a little confused about the guns on the Spitfire though.
The specs sheet with the special edition disc says that the Spitfire has 4 .303 Mg's and 2 20mm cannon, however the skin for the plane seems to have 8 gun ports painted on the wings.

So which is right, the spec sheet or the skin ?
And which ports should be Mg's and which cannon ?
The plane has eight .303 caliber machine guns, four to each wing. Spec sheet must be in error.

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

The Battle of Britain period Spits had eight machine guns as SD_Research states, however, the armament evolved over the course of the war.

This page....

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.dell/spitcom.htm

...states the following.....
Spitfire armament progressed throughout the war. First two 20mm cannon replaced four of the wing mounted machine guns. Then the remaining rifle calibre machine guns were replaced with a pair of large calibre machine guns with longer range. Finally, like all British single seat fighters at the end of the war, the Spitfire had a total of four 20 mm cannon.
I can only assume that the spec sheet is referring to a later model than the skin.

The following link gives a very detailed history of the Spit (to be expected considering the source :wink: ) and if you cruise through the numerous pages you can see photos of various types and it soon becomes obvious which versions have cannons and which don't as the cannons stick out like a sore thumb :wink: .

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/spit1.html
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

UberCougar
Airman

Post by UberCougar »

Four .303's and two 20mm Hispano's is the 'B' wing, most commonly fitted to the Mk. V Spitfire.

Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Thanks guys, lots of usefull info.
8 Mg's it is then.

CarSteph
Airman Basic

Re: Spitfire armaments question

Post by CarSteph »

The link given (http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/spit1.html) cannot be connected, is there any option to view the link?

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”