Spit in FSX

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Spit in FSX

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Today i got my copy of FSX, it installed fine, and runs fine, some tweaking needed but nowere near as many problems as others are having, the settings are medium-high.

Only prob ive got thus far is theres no thumbnails at the aircraft selection screen, FAC guided through the manual installation but for some reason my thumbnails are missing, then again we decided the only reason FAC gets them in fsx is magic.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by FAC257 »

Hey Lewis

Look in your texture folders of those aircraft. In order for the thumbnails to show up there should be a file called "thumbnail.jpg" in each one.

If not you may have done a manual install of the FS9 version of the WWII Fighters pack instead of the FSX install. I never looked to see if the FS9 install textures had the thumbnails.

The WII Fighters FSX auto-install went pretty easy for me. The only thing I ran into is that it couldn't find the FSX directory for some reason. I had to point it in the right direction. The only WOP aircraft installs that I by-pass the exe install routine and do a full manual install are all the rest.

If your missing the large thumbnails that appear after you pick your aircraft that are supposed to appear in the flight set up menu that's a little different. I've found that to be very common with a lot of the add-on aircraft I've put in including the WWII Fighters pack. Sometimes they just appear after a few times going in and out of the flight setup screen. Sometimes I've seen them flash for a millisecond just as you bring up the flight setup menu and then vanish. Got me on that one so far ?????? :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yep cheers, FAC got them thumbnails sorted :D

Now I want to get the bombers installed.

OH and note for Scott and Rob of shockwave - please the fsx SDK for missions, some nice bombing runs would be great, or even a b17 or b24 in an RAF coastal command skin and a mission to search for a downed aircraft, or using the glider tow, flying a horsa glider to a landing zone on D-DAY-1, the possibilities boggle the mind!

Perhaps as well as add-on aircraft int he shops we shall start to see mission packs :)

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

The ground textures are looking superb!!! How is the scenery improved? (I mean in land marks major rivers roads and cities) Can you recognise your city and that sort of stuff?

Regards,

Meso

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

Lewis Bloomfield wrote:Yep cheers, FAC got them thumbnails sorted :D

Now I want to get the bombers installed.

OH and note for Scott and Rob of shockwave - please the fsx SDK for missions, some nice bombing runs would be great, or even a b17 or b24 in an RAF coastal command skin and a mission to search for a downed aircraft, or using the glider tow, flying a horsa glider to a landing zone on D-DAY-1, the possibilities boggle the mind!

Perhaps as well as add-on aircraft int he shops we shall start to see mission packs :)
I can't speak for Scott here but I am planning on looking into some bomber missions for FSX. I still have to wait for the darn game to arrive. But once it has off I will go.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Random failures work much better in fsx, didnt even get to take off in this one before the number one burst into flame and in the confusion i shut off fuel to number 2 :oops:

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow Lewis that looks similar to what happened to my dad's favorite ship 42-97550 but with another crew on board.I am looking forward to obtaining FSX soon.Thanks for the screenshots too.I wish that we could get AC's sophisticated norden bomb sight in FSX somehow even if it's only for bombing practice.

"On October 11th 1944, while taking off on a practice gunnery mission, Ship 297550 of the 772nd Squadron developed engine trouble. At an altitude of approximately 100 feet, two of its engines caught fire. The pilot attempted to gain altitude and make a landing at Foggia Main. The ship crashed on the highway near the station hospital and burned. Killed in the crash were Lts. Clement Smith, Jewel Hastings and Richard Nautsch. Also Sgts. Herbert Lane, Mark George and Warren Davenport.

The injured were Lts. William Forehand, Paul Fredson and Earl Thompson, and Sgts. Raymond Wojciak, Charles Stella and Armstead Noble."
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

Lewis I got FSX yesterday and have started on a B-17F mission for Knockout Dropper. The flight plan is set and the aircraft starts on a parking ramp ad Deenethorpe with everything off. It will require a cold start. I am looking into seing how to disable the controll e engine start and adding stuff. I am also going to recalibrate my bombsite to work from 15,000ft with the flower bombs. Hitting the target from that altitude will be a mission requirement. I will keep updated as things progress.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

great stuff, if you keep your work a work in progress no doubt some modder will make 3d bombs for us so we can swop the flour bombs with the proper ones :D

BTW ive discovered engine fires can be put out with steep dives and speed :wink: of course too fast and planes overstresses.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

Guys, there will indeed be a comprehensive update for the Shockwave planes that will address a few FSX-specific issues such as the thumbnails.

The planes will install, load, and fly just fine in FSX but some of the "gingerbread" and minor details will be updated. Camera angles, thumbnails, and a few other things will all be updated. Meanwhile, fly 'em and have fun.

The only reason for the slight delay is we want to be very sure we've got the FSX update sorted and don't want to release the update prematurely.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

I'd like to see 46th_terror's flour bombing missions in the updates.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

GT182
Staff Sergeant

Post by GT182 »

SD, will the HE-219 install to FSX. That is the one I've been wondering about.

I don't have FSX yet but will as soon as it's in the stores here. WalMart and EB do not have it yet up here in Northern NY for some strange reason. Or I'll have to wait until we move to Delaware... very soon.
"War does not determine who is right- only who is left" Bertrand Russell

Member Of Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, Pa.
Tour Coordinator KILG and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG
Bombs-Away.net

RichardIII
Staff Sergeant

Post by RichardIII »

Lewis: Is the 3D Cockpit showing OK? I have SFX and I'd consider the WOP add-ons (besides WWII Fighters) if they work correctly in FSX.

Thanks,

Rich 8)
I've got 40 109's cornered over Berlin!

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

GT182 wrote:SD, will the HE-219 install to FSX. That is the one I've been wondering about.

I don't have FSX yet but will as soon as it's in the stores here. WalMart and EB do not have it yet up here in Northern NY for some strange reason. Or I'll have to wait until we move to Delaware... very soon.
You can put it in using the standard file protocols but there may be some issues with textures, etc. It'll fly, though, but it's not 100 percent FSX ready. I'd say it's 98 percent there as it is, don't know when an official update will be out for it.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

RichardIII wrote:Lewis: Is the 3D Cockpit showing OK? I have SFX and I'd consider the WOP add-ons (besides WWII Fighters) if they work correctly in FSX.

Thanks,

Rich 8)
Apart from the odd gauge missing with some of the bombers its seems fine.

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”