Taxi and other questions

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Taxi and other questions

Post by Point-man »

Hey all, I think I remember seeing something about this a long time ago here but I couldn't seem to find it. I love how the WWII Fighters P-51 taxi's. I just use the differential brakes to go where I need to. It seems heavy so to speak if that makes since. I was wondering if you can make the P-47 be the same way? Not only the WWII fighters one but the Stand alone P-47 as well. I would really like to do that with all the planes except I don't know how the Spit, 109, and Zero handle in real life and I would like to keep it as real as possible if that makes since. I just liked how it gave the stang a heavy feel if you know what I mean.

Bradburger
Senior Airman

Post by Bradburger »

Point-man,

I think that the P51 is the only aircraft in the WWII Fighters pack to have been modelled with a fully castoring (albeit it lockable) tailwheel and differential brakes.

In reality, all the aircraft modelled in the pack had fully castoring tailwheels, some with a breakout force, a lock, or steering or the ablity to do both as in the case of the P51, and differential brakes.

There was a thread on this here a while back, but Shockwave have had to compromise on this area as the main problem with FS9 is that the ground friction coefficients are not correct and therefore this can make the ground handling, especially of the taildraggers with fully castoring tailwheels, troublesome and not as realistic as it should be.

There is a modded SIM1.DLL out there with suposedly more accurate coefficients, which I've been using for a while now, and I must say that it is a great improvement and makes ground handling for all types a lot better. It seems that this has been fixed in FSX, as I've found the aircraft that I've ported over to the demo to behave very much like they do in FS9 with the modded DLL.

Despite what people say about FS not being very good at modelling ground handling, I've found that with my own FM's and the modded SIM1.DLL, it is actually better than one might expect. For instance, the new FM I made for the WWII Fighters 109 seems to behave exactly has described (this is with a fully castoring, but lockable tailwheel and differential brakes like the real thing) in that it takes a lot of power to initiate a turn, and more importantly, it will ground loop without warning, even at walking pace! Basically a bit of a pig! :D

Btw, I should add that changing the tailwheel to a fully castoring one of the original 109 FM DOES not cause it to behave like this when using the modded SIM1.DLL (it actually makes ground handling worse), as it was of course optimised for the default ground friction coefficients.

It looks like at last everyone will at last be able to enjoy more accurate taildragger ground handling with FSX, and I'm sure the folks at Shockwave will take advantage of this. :wink:

Cheers

Paul

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

The update to the WWII Fighters package will address this issue for all five of the fighters. Stand by.

There was a thread about this some time ago and some temporary mods were provided, but not sure where the thread ended up.

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

Stand by for FSX to come out. It seems to be what we're waiting for. I can't imagine what else has been holding up the WWII Fighters patch for so long. Oh well, it's worth the wait!! S/F MudMarine

Point-man
Staff Sergeant

Post by Point-man »

Mud, now that you gave the name of that mod I remember that someone sent it to me. However I have no idea where I put it.. lol* isn't that the way it goes... Very good to hear that the patch will make those issue better. Shockwave comes through once again!!!

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”