P-51 Altitude Problem

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

P-51 Altitude Problem

Post by cflord »

P-51 Altitude Problem:

Does any one else have problems trying to get the P-51 to climb above 11,500/12,000 feet? It says not to use carb heat above 12,000 feet so I turned it off to see if that was the problem, but the plane will just not fly at altitude. I even went to the FS 2004 map page and took the plane to 20,000 feet and gave it an airspeed of 200 knots but when I released the plane it started loosing altitude and airspeed at full throttle and would not hold altitude.

Cliff Lord
[email protected] :cry:

redrooster
Technical Sergeant

Post by redrooster »

In your realism settings check the auto mixture checkbox. According to SW this will give you the correct aircraft performance.
The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Meso
Senior Airman

Post by Meso »

If you dont use the automixture option you will need to manually control the fuel/air ratio. At higher altitudes there is less oxigen available. Since the maximum performance of the engine depends on fuel/oxigen ratio you will need to adjust the amount of fuel that is injected into the engine. since there is less oxigen at higher altitudes you need to reduce the amount of fuel thats injected into the engine.

I always do this manualy since i like that more theauto-mixture option. around 15.000 my mixture is usually around 15% and at 20 around 10-12%.

Regards,

Meso

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

redrooster wrote:In your realism settings check the auto mixture checkbox. According to SW this will give you the correct aircraft performance.
That's right, the Mustang did NOT have manual mixture control in the real plane; there was just a RUN position for normal ops and it was all done automatically by a compensating pressure carburetor.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

P-51 Altitude Problems

Post by cflord »

Hey Meso and Red Rooster:

Thanks for the information on the Auto Mixture setting. I checked the box for Auto Mixture in FS 2004 then Took the P-51 all the way up to 35,000 feet with no problems at all. I appreciate your help!

Thanks again,
Cliff :P

CWD
Senior Airman

Post by CWD »

I thought the WW2 Fighters P-51 was supposed to have a new XML gauge-based fuel mixture adjustment system that would simulate the real thing's "semi-automatic" arrangement?

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”