Battery switch for the Spit

Five "Ace" aircraft in a box
new reply
cgrove
Airman Basic

Battery switch for the Spit

Post by cgrove »

I have been looking for the battery switch in the Spitfire, but have been unable to find it. Could someone please help me out with this? I have also been looking for the avionics switch, but with no luck. Did these birds even HAVE avionics switches in them?

alias_unknown_2004
Senior Airman

Post by alias_unknown_2004 »

I dont' think it was modelled as a clickable instrument...I just sat in the Spit for 30 minutes, clicking the battery switch (by key command) on and off (the sound of it winding up is pretty neat), but couldn't see any movement from any eyepoint within the cockpit.

(The avionics switch has been modelled in the other aircraft.)

AU

THORmx
Senior Airman

Post by THORmx »

i don't think it's done either :S

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

Hi guys,

I had this problem at first before realising it wasn't a problem. According to the Spitfire manuals I have there was no battery switch in the Spitfire. :)

Just a master swithc and generator switch.

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

Then the "fly by instructions" shouldn't read.......3. Turn the battery and generator switches to ON. If there's no switch how are you supposed to turn it on.....talk dirty to it :) I also must have sat in the pit for 15 plus minutes looking for that blankety blank switch. LOL, jokes one me!! Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm just loving my WWII fighters!! S/F MudMarine

PS Something needs to be done becuase the plane won't start without the battery switch, you have to do a shift-E.

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

mudmarine wrote:Then the "fly by instructions" shouldn't read.......3. Turn the battery and generator switches to ON. If there's no switch how are you supposed to turn it on.....talk dirty to it :) I also must have sat in the pit for 15 plus minutes looking for that blankety blank switch. LOL, jokes one me!! Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm just loving my WWII fighters!! S/F MudMarine

PS Something needs to be done becuase the plane won't start without the battery switch, you have to do a shift-E.
We can't really model the "lack" of a switch, FS9 has very limited startup procedures and you'd have to turn on the batteries to get started, either with a keystroke or joystick button assignment, in order to turn on the electrics (if you were starting from cold and dark). So we have to state this in the checklist, or make it less realistic by having the electric always available.

Yoda
Airman First Class

Post by Yoda »

Mudmarine,

There are two ways around this. First, start the sim with the default C172 and make sure the master battery switch is on before selecting the Spit. Second, go into the keyboard assignments and assign a key the master battery switch...I went in yesterday and assigned the backslash "\" key.

I believe the real Spit uses a cartridge system to start. Hence this note from the Spitfire manual I have: "If the engine fails to start on the first cartridge, no more priming should be carried out before firing the second, but another stroke should be given as the second cartridge is fired."
Respectfully,

Kurt

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

I understand the limitations. The best solution is as you suggested, slave a button for the electric switch. It was just making me scratch my head after I followed procedure and hit the start button and nothing happend. Thanks for the idea/tip! Love what the shockwave team has done, keep them coming and I'll keep on spending :) S/F MudMarine

-E
Senior Airman

Post by -E »

How about just slaving the logical battery switch to the physical generator switch via XML? Something like this... (untried as of this posting)
  • <Gauge Name="wop_spit_battery">
    <Update Frequency="7"/>
    <Element>
    <Select>
    <Value>(A:GENERAL ENG GENERATOR SWITCH,bool)
    if{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) }
    els{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 1 == if{ 0 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) }
    </Value>
    </Select>
    </Element>
    </Gauge>

SD_Research
A2A Major

Post by SD_Research »

-E wrote:How about just slaving the logical battery switch to the physical generator switch via XML? Something like this... (untried as of this posting)
    <Update Frequency="7"/>
    <Element>
    <Select>
    if{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) }
    els{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 1 == if{ 0 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) }
    </Value>
    </Select>
    </Element>
    </Gauge>
Personally, I have always been a ctrl-E sort of guy...after a few times starting up an FS9 piston, they're all the same. Of course, the startup sounds are great, but you get those with autostart, too! :lol:

-E
Senior Airman

Post by -E »

Note there is a dual typo above... two close-brackets are missing at the end of each of the two longest lines. It should work better with...
    <Update Frequency="7"/>
    <Element>
    <Select>
    if{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 0 == if{ 1 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) } }
    els{ (A:ELECTRICAL MASTER BATTERY,bool) 1 == if{ 0 (>K:TOGGLE_MASTER_BATTERY) } }
    </Value>
    </Select>
    </Element>
    </Gauge>

mudmarine
Staff Sergeant

Post by mudmarine »

I'm not a Crtl-E guy. The reason for the flipable switches for me is to, well, flip them. I want to use the checklist %100, someone at shockwave went to a lot of trouble with the whole "real as it gets" thing so I'd hate to ignore their efforts and cop-out by using Crtl-E :) S/F MudMarine

new reply

Return to “WWII FIGHTERS”