FSX - Rain FIXED!!!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
mazman629
Airman

FSX - Rain FIXED!!!

Post by mazman629 »

I found the fix on AVSIM's forum...

Copy the VCRAIN*.* files (32 files) from FS9\Textures to FSX\Textures. That's it. Even gives back rain effects on windshield again.

If it wasn't for flight sims, we wouldn't need electricity!!!

dbr_p
Senior Airman

Post by dbr_p »

That is great, mazman!
You're my hero of the day!
:D
PJD

mendyka
Airman

Post by mendyka »

I tried to do this but all of the "VCRAIN" files that you need to copy from FS9 are already in FSX under the exact same name and therefore Windows will not let you paste the FS9 files into FSX. How were you able to do this? :?:

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

mendyka wrote:I tried to do this but all of the "VCRAIN" files that you need to copy from FS9 are already in FSX under the exact same name and therefore Windows will not let you paste the FS9 files into FSX. How were you able to do this? :?:
Are you using Vista? If so you may have to be logged in as an admin or take ownership and allow changes to the folder.

Though I did not have any problem on the Vista side of my duel boot system.

What I did is make a new folder called vcrain_bak, then copy the originals into that folder.

Then copied the vcrain files from FS9 to FSX and let it overwrite. No issues in XP or Vista.

mendyka
Airman

Post by mendyka »

Whoa!!! (Thump, thump, thump) My heart is still racing! What phenomenal graphics!!! The rain on the wind screen is WAY too realistic!!! How come I have never had the rain sliding off the windshield effect in FSX before?!? You are truly an amazing Shockwave fixing guru Mazman!!! Thank you!!! ...Please excuse me while I go play in the rain awhile! :D :shock:

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

I would assume no one here at Shockwave could tell us the answer because there may be some restriction about them telling people to alter Microsoft's program files.

Why M$ would replace something that worked with something that not only caused a conflict, but eliminated a nice feature of FS9 is anyones guess.

Now if I could just figure out how to get FS9's "Previous Flight" back...

ROB - A2A
A2A Colonel

Post by ROB - A2A »

As the Aces Studio claims, the animated rain drops were abandoned for perfomance reason.

regards
ROB
A2A Simulations Inc.

mazman629
Airman

Post by mazman629 »

ROB - Shockwave wrote:As the Aces Studio claims, the animated rain drops were abandoned for perfomance reason.

regards
ROB
If there is a performance hit, I sure haven't seen it...

stapme!
Senior Airman

Post by stapme! »

Damn, I got rid of my copy of FS9 after a year of using FSX.

o76o
Airman

Post by o76o »

Hello all, one of your moderators kindly directed me here, i am having problems ( http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... 0519#90519 ) and it seems it is something to do with FSX rain textures, can anyone point me in the direction of FS9 texture files or maybe kindly send them to me as i do not unfortunately have FS9.

Many thanks.

EDIT: OK, i have found the files on AVSIM ( http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=57104 ) and it does indeed fix the problem, but now when it starts to rain, my propeller disappears! Any ideas?

foreigndevil
Airman

Post by foreigndevil »

This is interesting. Is it possible to have the rain effects back in FSX in other than the WoP aircraft? I sure miss the rain on my windscreen.

gsnde
Airman

Post by gsnde »

mazman629 wrote:Now if I could just figure out how to get FS9's "Previous Flight" back...
Just in case you haven't: by installing the free version of FSUIPC you will get the previous flight functionality back.

Cheers,
Martin

foreigndevil
Airman

Post by foreigndevil »

After installing the VC rain effects from FS9 in FSX I see no change whatsoever with the default aircraft. :( Does it only work for Shockwave's fighters? :?:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”