Bombsite update

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Bombsite update

Post by 46th_Terror »

Here is a pic of teh updated bombsite I had originally made for FS2004. It has been updated for FSX and the WOP B-17II. It had adjustments for drift, angle and zoom. Not a nordon site but it should work as a manual bombsite. I want to thank Rob for his help with this. Otherwise this project would be dead in the water.Image
Shot at 2007-07-27

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Looks Good Terror!

:wtg:
Snuffy

bulletproof
Airman

bomb site

Post by bulletproof »

your bombsite will be a great help as you are able to drop bombs in fsx. i watched a video on the missions website where it explained how to set up an area around any object so if your bomb fell in the boundries a explosion would be triggered using specified effects files.

bulletproof
Airman

competition

Post by bulletproof »

bombing competition anyone. now that you can have two people controlling the same plane one can fly the other can be the bombadier.

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

The bomb I use has a really good bomb effect with it. I would really like to get an online game going with a pilot copilot/ bombadeer. But I think the 4 hours to fly the mission would be a bit to long for most people. I also have to work on a bombing table so there is a basic settings for people to use. I would like to see a mission where if a spefic area was hit the model of the builds would change to damaged ones. I have a mission already started but I havent gotten into that part of it yet.

bulletproof
Airman

Post by bulletproof »

it will be pretty impressive once you are finished. figuring all that out must be time consuming, i had a nordon bombsight manual for use on the b-24,but i donated it to march field musuem, lots of tables for data for bombing ships, there must have been another manual for static targets. are you using data from a manual.

Maenniskopesten
Airman First Class

Post by Maenniskopesten »

Wow looks very promising! Is there a download available allready?

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Looks great 46th_Terror.Can't wait to see this done.
It's going to be a big enhancement for the WOP II B-17.
I'll have to build a new PC soon for this.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

stlkrash
Airman

recon

Post by stlkrash »

also would let fighter guys do bomb assesment
I served USMC Aviation, did you?

46th_Terror
Staff Sergeant

Post by 46th_Terror »

Well here is the deal. I have been doing some test flights using the bombsite. Here is what I have learned. FSX takes into account aerodynamic forces from the aircraft and the wind on the bombs. What does this mean? Basicelly to use the bombsite we will have to find somebody that actually knew how to use them to teach us. I have looked over a bombing manual and the math is beyond me at the moment. I did a drop and 15000 ft asl. the site was set to 60 deg lead. I had a 25 kn cross wind. And I flew at 170 kn ground speed. My bombs landed about a half a mile short and about 2 miles to the left. My target was a major airport which in itself was probially a mile wide. This is going to be very difficult to do.

Bomber
Airman

Post by Bomber »

was it a big bomb ?

Wind effecting it I mean..

I wish I could help you with the maths... I found a good site once that explained it all, with diagrams and everything.. I know that doesn't help but just keep looking there is a good site out there.

I've an RAF MkIX sight for the Lancaster in TW which I've had to automate the leveling of because it's just to ball aching of a job to do manually.. a bombaimer using it must have needed 4 hands to use it.

My advise, keep working at it the maths'll become easy after time... and then you'll be able to calculate the correct nadir angle.

Regards

Simon

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

Terror ...

Check yer PMs please
Snuffy

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”