Flying Like the Birds is Where It's AT!

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
A/C
A2A Major

Flying Like the Birds is Where It's AT!

Post by A/C »

Gentlemen,

When I was five years old I used to watch the birds as they soared in circles in the sky , and I never outgrew my longing to do the same.

But in my 22+ years of service in the USAAC and USAF , though I flew many types of aircraft, ranging from a 40 horsepower cub through multi -engine jet bombers, and though I held every flying rating in the USAF except that of radio operator, I have always felt more like a railroad engineer than like a bird .

But now, at age 85, thanks to the sailplane in FSX and the superb simulation of soaring the program provides I am at last flying like the birds.

Amazingly, arfter my first simulated sailplane flight, which lasted about as long as it takes a fledgling sparrow to hit the ground after being pushed out of the nest, in a few short hours I was able to soar from Torrey Pines on the shores of the Pacific, across the mountains and desert to Sky Harbor, in Phoenix AZ . ...

Two hundred sixty five miles!

In four hours aloft!

Using the updrafts from upslope winds and desert thermals instead of noisey engines , or even flapping my wings! :D

Was I bored during that four hours?

NO WAY!

I was continually forced to make decisions . ...

To seek out the proper updrafts yet remain roughly on course. (I probably zigged and zagged another 50 or so miles over the strasight line distance )...

How long to stsy circling in a thermal to ride it high enough to insure clearing a mountain ridge on the horizon ... or making it to the next updrsft.....

Whether to trade altitude for speed to get to the next thermal ...

Jjudge whether I was approaching a mountain from the windward or lee side by comparing my heading to the wiind angle .... If I judged wrong I got a down draft.

Would I ned to land short of Phoenix since the evening was approaching and thermals were diminishing ... could i make it to an airfield in that situation... etc etc.

When I greased it in at Sky Harbor, I felt a sense of accomplishment that I have never before felt in a simulator :!:

Try it, You'll LIKE it!

... And if enough of us do, perhaps Shockwave will build us a package of sailplanes someday.

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Glad you enjoyed your sailplane experience A/C :lol: .

When I got FS9 a few months ago one of the first add-on planes I downloaded was the Slingsby T-21 glider as it was one of the types I flew as young teenager in the RAF cadet force (ATC) in the early 70's. It was amazing to be able relive my memories again and to be able to fly it at the same RAF fields I flew from in my youth. I always preferred to fly in gliders rather than the powered trainer of the time (De Havilland Chipmunk...see my avatar) especially once I started my glider training course (on a Slingsby T-31b) as I then got to sit in the front seat rather than the back :wink: . There is something special about being in the air with no engine noise and just the whistle of the wind over the wings, it's as close to being a bird as you can get I guess :lol: .

If you want a laugh check out my posting from a while ago where I describe a glider flight of mine that went wrong! I learned a lot that day I can tell you! :wink:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=5722
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

WOW!

Great commentary there AC! Glad to see you soaring like the birds now Major!

If it were not for the fact I was at work, I'd be logging into FSX just to try and experience what you just described. ... Oh well back to work!
Snuffy

Dangerous Beans
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dangerous Beans »

I'm with you there A/C, soaring in FSX is great fun and very satisfying.

Some Shockwave quality gliders would be great.
Maybe a Slingsby, the freeware one is OK but a Shockwave one would be even better, and how about a Horsa so we can recreate the Pegasus bridge landing :)

A/C
A2A Major

Post by A/C »

Tako_Kichi wrote:Glad you enjoyed your sailplane experience A/C :lol: .

When I got FS9 a few months ago one of the first add-on planes I downloaded was the Slingsby T-21 glider as it was one of the types I flew as young teenager in the RAF cadet force (ATC) in the early 70's. It was amazing to be able relive my memories again and to be able to fly it at the same RAF fields I flew from in my youth. I always preferred to fly in gliders rather than the powered trainer of the time (De Havilland Chipmunk...see my avatar) especially once I started my glider training course (on a Slingsby T-31b) as I then got to sit in the front seat rather than the back :wink: . There is something special about being in the air with no engine noise and just the whistle of the wind over the wings, it's as close to being a bird as you can get I guess :lol: .

If you want a laugh check out my posting from a while ago where I describe a glider flight of mine that went wrong! I learned a lot that day I can tell you! :wink:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... php?t=5722

Your Tail slide experience was real "Hairy" Tako_Kishi!

I enjoyed reading that immensly! Thanks!

Also, It's great to see that we have so many glider pilots.

Maybe we can start a soaring society ???

Can the FS9 sailplanes be converted to work in FSX? ... or are there any add-ons mede yet for FSX?

While the one in FSX is superb, I'd like to try a few others.

...and a two place sailplane would allow soaring instruction in multiplayer.

A/C
A2A Major

Post by A/C »

Snuffy_Hadden wrote:WOW!

Great commentary there AC! Glad to see you soaring like the birds now Major!

If it were not for the fact I was at work, I'd be logging into FSX just to try and experience what you just described. ... Oh well back to work!
Have you tried it yet Snuffy?

Soaring is a stand alone challenge within FSX.

I've found that All of the scenery allows it, not just a couple of areas.

I hope to fly out of many different sailplane fields.

I have already flown out of the one at Lake Elsinore and the one at Hemet, as well as Torrey Pines. While my home field here in Santee doesn't seem to cater to sailplanes, I've found that I can still get a tow there and soar in the local area in the FSX sim.

If you have difficulty catching the trick of enginless flying just read ALL the material which has been superbly explained by the FSX development team.

I hope to set a few personal records for myself in distance flying, altitude flyijng and endurance. , so soaring will remain an interesting challenge for quite awhile.

I'm picking up little tricks and techniques to improve my performance as I continue to practice , so if you run into any snags, maybe I have already experienced and overcome them, so feel free to ask.

Perhaps we can all exchange "How To" hints here?

GX007
Senior Airman

Post by GX007 »

Thanks for posting that AC. It never occured to me to fly a sailplane in FSX, though I see them often where I live. I'll have to try it.

gx007

A/C
A2A Major

Post by A/C »

GX007 wrote:Thanks for posting that AC. It never occured to me to fly a sailplane in FSX, though I see them often where I live. I'll have to try it.

gx007
That's the spirit!

Feel free to PM me if you have questions or encounter problems during your training phase.

What fields do your local soaring clubs fly out of ? I'd like to add them to my list , and after we get started we can discuss terrain features that give good updrafts in your area.

My first over water distance flight was from Torrey Pines to Catalina Island. I almost didn't make it for there were few thermals between the coast and the island . I was less thann 100 feet above water, staring at a vertical cliff, when I caught the first upslope wind at the island itself!

But it lifted me up to traffic pattern altitude (Quite a relief, since the field was 1602 feet above sea level , and pattern altitude was 1,00 feet above that!)

Completing that flight gave me the courage to make the flight to Phoenix that I mentioned above. I regard the Phoenix trip as my cross country qualification check ride, so now I don't hesitate to fly anywhere if the weather and terrain indicate that I can probably make it during daylight hours.

I have loggesd a little local night time during which I deliberately flew into a towering cumulus to get some actual instrument time, but it was a disapointment from an updraft standpoint.

Soon I plan to try flying along a line of thunderbumpers on a cold front , usiing the actual weather downloaded off the net. ... it may tear my wings off if it is actually true to life!.

The soaring program in FSX offers a wealth of new experiences to try!

... and it appears to separate the men from the boys so far as flying proficiency is concerned! for there is no engine to pull your fat out of the fire!

GX007
Senior Airman

Post by GX007 »

AC,

Mind you, I haven't used flown sailplanes in FSX but it seems fascinating. I had a school friend in the 4th grade (many years ago) who flew them with his pops on weekends. It was facinating to hear his stories.

I see sailplanes from Sailplanes Enterprises out of Hemet and Warner Springs in North San Diego County. Here's a page video clips from Warner Springs.

WARNING...THIS VIDEO MAY GET YOUR HEART BEATING VERY FAST

http://www.skysailing.com/pages/videos.htm

Enjoy,
gx007

A/C
A2A Major

Post by A/C »

Thanx, GX007!

Just checked out Warner Springs on FSX. It's got all the updsafts one could hope for! A great place to fly, very scenic!

Snuffy
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Snuffy »

GX007 wrote:... WARNING...THIS VIDEO MAY GET YOUR HEART BEATING VERY FAST

http://www.skysailing.com/pages/videos.htm

Enjoy,
gx007
Guaranteed not to be from the flying aspect of the video! :oops:
Snuffy

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Sailplane Ride

Post by cflord »

A/C

I'm glad you enjoyed your sailplane ride. I went up in a sailplane many years ago at the Mt Washington airport in New Hampshire. My ride was cut short by a Wasp getting in the cockpit and coming out from under the instrument panel after takeoff. My pilot was quite concerned to say the least! None the less is was a pretty neat experience.

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :P

A/C
A2A Major

Re: Sailplane Ride

Post by A/C »

cflord wrote:A/C

I'm glad you enjoyed your sailplane ride. I went up in a sailplane many years ago at the Mt Washington airport in New Hampshire. My ride was cut short by a Wasp getting in the cockpit and coming out from under the instrument panel after takeoff. My pilot was quite concerned to say the least! None the less is was a pretty neat experience.

Keep the shinny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :P
Sharing the cockpit with a wasp is not my idea of fun!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hey A/C heres a link to an FSX mission site. It contains some new soaring missions for you to have a crack at.

http://fsxmission.com/live/
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Wow that's interesting Lewis looking at the upcoming FSX Adrenaline Expansion Pack it's going to have a P-51 Mustang and Direct X 10 (for the Windows Vista Operating System).
Thanks for the links to the new missions too.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”