AccuSim Comanche unexpected engine failure in flight captured

Scott - A2A
A2A General

AccuSim Comanche unexpected engine failure in flight captured

Post by Scott - A2A »

I had to post this here as it just captures why it's so fun to have a complete and deep living and breathing machine. Watch this video from 23 min. They guy is just flying along, talking, enjoying flying then suddenly hit with something. Just watch how he reacts and how rapidly a situation here can unfold. This is what it's like in real life. It's very difficult to process things in this surprise situation. I'm not going to say what the issue was so you can watch and think about what it was yourself, and once it's out there we can discuss what actually happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-fY3ecpghM

[ADDED]
Another one:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1881119369?sr=a&t=1268s

Great reaction when he loses oil pressure. Go to 2:22, it's about 5 min long: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1885589142

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

mlody147
Airman Basic

Re: AccuSim Comanche unexpected engine failure in flight captured

Post by mlody147 »

That was amazing😍 This oil drop!!! Great job A2A💪😁

MarcE
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by MarcE »

It shows how easily we're distracted from the situation we're in while we deal with something unrelated to it. Be it a cell phone while driving a car, showing the surroundings to our passengers or streaming a flight on twitch (or whereever) and talking to our viewers. The engine management display has warned him from the start, even before takeoff, the indications were clear but he didn't notice it because he was primarily dealing with something else.

In professional aviation there is a sterile cockpit during critical phases or the flight for this very reason. If something goes wrong with the engines or systems it's usually during the initial phase. Keep your mind focused and be cautious for anything that even blinks in red.

Great video of a great lesson learned :D Outstanding capture.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Looks like the cause for this was the oil pump failing ... he already had lubrication issues on the ground, that's why his cylinder head temps were so high at idle/low power. And then it finally gave up completely, with a sudden drop in oil pressure. At that moment the engine was toast.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Michael-C172pilot
Airman First Class

Post by Michael-C172pilot »

A question regarding the damage Model- shouldnt the wing be completely destroyed after such a crash landing? Is the damage rather random or does the damage Model really simulate impacts and hard landings?

jphustman
Airman

Post by jphustman »

Yup, lost the oil pump.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Notice the moment the oil pressure drops you get a runway prop condition, that is the prop accelerates. When a prop is spinning the air forces want to push it flat (faster RPM), but the oil pressure is what pushes against these forces to keep it coarse (lower RPM), in this case steady at 2400RPM. When the oil pressure drops the forces take over and the RPM rises. In this case this pilot did the right thing by reducing power.

The other was look at what a champ the JPI is, as it gave that low oil pressure warning immediately. This is another reason why an electronic engine management display is so essential, gives you warnings that unless you have a warning light wired, you don't have.

I've had several failures in flight in real life and it's fascinating to revisit them and think just how long it takes your mind to first, accept something went wrong. Then once you have that, to identify what went wrong. And once you have that, know what to do. This Accu-Sim Comanche is teaching people through experiences like this to be better prepared pilots. This pilot, experienced it. You can't get this kind of experience through training when you know something is coming. You only get it when you are caught completely off guard. I bet if this pilot ever experiences this again in the A2A Comanche or a real airplane, he will be quicker to reduce that power and identify the situation.

This is so awesome to finally see people experiencing this.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

bcote689
Airman First Class

Post by bcote689 »

Wow, this YouTube video is really cool. Can’t wait get my first unexpected failure. So far all my failures have been before the flight when I was safely on the ground 🥵. Thanks for the technical explanation of what happened, I did not know what to think of the increase in prop RPM.

WeptBurrito
Airman First Class

Post by WeptBurrito »

Good stuff!!!

Pilot paid no... ZERO attention to the RED FLASHING REM warning...didn't even notice, not even to the point of, "oh..what's THAT mean!" ... EVER!

"over powered?" ... umm :shock:

Zero attention to the analog oil pressure gauge.

I'm glad I wasn't a passenger :mrgreen:

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

Nice! Or as Accusim V1 would have said.. "The engine suffered a rare and unexpected failure".
Happened to me once in the Strat, somewhere between Greenland and the coast of Canada. After getting the new GS with the sextant and reviewing my fuel remaining I deemed it safe to take her to New York on three engines. Never had much on the GAs though.
I love Accusim for that stuff. Don't forget the ugly beast it all started with please!
Kind regards, Matthias

F-HRBL
Airman First Class

Post by F-HRBL »

C'est ce qui rend la simulation au plus près de la réalité avec Accu-Sim et A2A. On ne doit jamais relâcher son attention et toujours anticiper dans notre Comanche. Dans mon vol d'hier, surprise le carburateur a givré alors que la température extérieure était de 19°C. Si l'on prête attention à nos instruments en permanence, on peut éviter des désagréments.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

That was neat to see the prop run away when the oil pump let go. It well-and-truly is a whole-airplane simulator. My understanding is, if this had happened in a twin, the loss of pressure would have caused it to "fall" into feather?

MkIV Hvd
A2A Mechanic

Post by MkIV Hvd »

No, the feathering operation moves the blades the other direction into extreme coarse pitch to align with the airflow. If this happens in a twin and you don't feather it quickly enough you will end up with a big old flat brake disc on that side as it fails to the full fine position.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob Wilkinson
A2A: Civilian Mustang, T-6, Bonanza, Comanche, Cub, C182, Spitfire, P-40, Cherokee, P-51 - VATSIM P4 and some other stuff...

glhsomni
Airman Basic

Post by glhsomni »

Scott - A2A wrote: 23 Jul 2023, 16:25 Notice the moment the oil pressure drops you get a runway prop condition, that is the prop accelerates. When a prop is spinning the air forces want to push it flat (faster RPM), but the oil pressure is what pushes against these forces to keep it coarse (lower RPM), in this case steady at 2400RPM. When the oil pressure drops the forces take over and the RPM rises. In this case this pilot did the right thing by reducing power.

The other was look at what a champ the JPI is, as it gave that low oil pressure warning immediately. This is another reason why an electronic engine management display is so essential, gives you warnings that unless you have a warning light wired, you don't have.

I've had several failures in flight in real life and it's fascinating to revisit them and think just how long it takes your mind to first, accept something went wrong. Then once you have that, to identify what went wrong. And once you have that, know what to do. This Accu-Sim Comanche is teaching people through experiences like this to be better prepared pilots. This pilot, experienced it. You can't get this kind of experience through training when you know something is coming. You only get it when you are caught completely off guard. I bet if this pilot ever experiences this again in the A2A Comanche or a real airplane, he will be quicker to reduce that power and identify the situation.

This is so awesome to finally see people experiencing this.

Scott
Interestingly, when I heard the runaway prop, my eyes jumped to the oil pressure. Simulations good enough I'm starting to predict issues when I see a symptom.

MatzeH84
Staff Sergeant

Post by MatzeH84 »

ClipperLuna wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 18:27 That was neat to see the prop run away when the oil pump let go. It well-and-truly is a whole-airplane simulator. My understanding is, if this had happened in a twin, the loss of pressure would have caused it to "fall" into feather?
On a turboprop this is usually true, that's why you see them sitting on the tarmac with the props in feathered position - unless they have startlocks installed, which lock the blades in full flat pitch or slightly in beta for less torque during startup. The ones using this procedure are often direct-drive engines which are, opposed to the free turbines like the PT6, directly affected from the increased air resistance of feathered blades during engine start.. or sea plane versions, in which you ideally don't want any forces at all during startup to keep it from drifting in an undesired direction.

On a small piston twin you should most likely see the same as in the singles.. no oil pressure, prop goes fine.
Kind regards, Matthias

new reply

Return to “Comanche 250 for MSFS”