MSFS

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
wv.citybilly
Airman

MSFS

Post by wv.citybilly »

MSFS

Wow! Is that garbage or what?

And the ATC? Every time it says "tree" instead of "3", I want to punch my monitor.

lonewulf47
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: MSFS

Post by lonewulf47 »

Maybe this may help you a bit:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... ion_2.html

Look at the phonetic alphabet about halfway down...
Oskar

ASUS MAXIMUS XI Hero, i9-9900K 8 Core OC 5.2 GHz, WIN10-64Bit, 32GB DDR5, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Strix, 2x 2 TB SSD M.2, 1x 2 TB SSD, 1 monitor 4k, AS4, EFB on remote PC

jeepinforfun
Technical Sergeant

Post by jeepinforfun »

Not to me, I find it to a viable simulator that is being continually improved and right now is my go-to flight sim. To each his own and if you don't like it use something else, no need to insult it for many do enjoy it. If the ATC is not to your liking, may I suggest you try VATSIM or Pilot Edge for your ATC needs.

Some of the default planes are not bad, they might not give you the feedback that A2A aircraft do but for myself I use checklists and the planes fly by the numbers and keep me occupied until A2A releases the Comanche. If I'm not using VATSIM than I do the calls in my head. The default ATC does need work just like it does in FSX and P3D, I'm sure ASOBO with eventually get to it although right now they are trying to make the sim stable for all simmers along with improving the scenery with each update. I might add that the GPS and glass screens units are excellent and a joy to use. Personally, I see good things for the future of MSFS which is technically still in beta.
Take care, Brett

SWLights/AccuFeel/Cub/Mustang/Skyhawk/Cherokee/Skylane/Comanche/Thunderbolt/Spitfire/FlyingFortress/Stratocruiser

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

wv.citybilly wrote: 24 May 2023, 14:11 MSFS

And the ATC? Every time it says "tree" instead of "3", I want to punch my monitor.
An interesting and unique take for sure. I think that's about all I can say about this post.

As was stated above my reply - "Tree" is the *correct* way to say the number 3 on the radio, and has been the correct way to say the number on the radio for well over 70 years since the ICAO Standard Radiotelephony Alphabet was adopted. Just like they properly say "Fo-War" and "Niner". Still not happy with the way Q is pronounced (by ICAO, it's supposed to be "Kay-beck"), but that's something not a lot of people get right anyway.

If I was going to complain about anything with MSFS's ATC it's that it still just doesn't work overall, but here's the kicker - *no one's* does. Computer ATC isn't great, but that's why we don't have computer ATC in the real world either, so I don't care whether it's "good" or not becuase I just don't use it and don't think it should be a make or break feature of a sim, just as I don't really use the various "ATC/Control" features in DCS or other combat sims.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

CAPFlyer wrote: 24 May 2023, 15:14
wv.citybilly wrote: 24 May 2023, 14:11 MSFS

An interesting and unique take for sure. I think that's about all I can say about this post.

As was stated above my reply - "Tree" is the *correct* way to say the number 3 on the radio, and has been the correct way to say the number on the radio for well over 70 years since the ICAO Standard Radiotelephony Alphabet was adopted. Just like they properly say "Fo-War" and "Niner". Still not happy with the way Q is pronounced (by ICAO, it's supposed to be "Kay-beck"), but that's something not a lot of people get right anyway.

If I was going to complain about anything with MSFS's ATC it's that it still just doesn't work overall, but here's the kicker - *no one's* does. Computer ATC isn't great, but that's why we don't have computer ATC in the real world either, so I don't care whether it's "good" or not because I just don't use it and don't think it should be a make or break feature of a sim, just as I don't really use the various "ATC/Control" features in DCS or other combat sims.
I have to agree. The sim as a whole works well for me. My only issue is the absolutely TERRIBLE ATC interface. I also deeply object to the constant references by many to go to third party software for ATC. That should NEVER be a requirement for the purchaser of the sim. The ATC was not perfect by a long shot in either FSX or P3D but it was "serviceable" and could be used to a normal degree with some issues.........but NOTHING like what has been offered to the buying public in MSFS.
I only hope the powers that be get their
collective act together and fix this for the customer.
Other than the ATC issue I find MSFS to be a wonderful program. It has growing pains but it does get better all the time.
All in all, I give it a YES !
DH

Jorge Bach
Airman First Class

Post by Jorge Bach »

¿ATC? ¿What ATC? I don't use it at all. VFR with no control = Freedom !

YankeeTendy35
Airman

Post by YankeeTendy35 »

If I want ATC I use Vatsim/PilotEdge, otherwise I just leave it off :)

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Tree is the correct pronunciation of three on ATC in the real world also. Just like five is pronounced fife I believe too.

I think MSFS as a sim is a great platform - in combination with some decent add-on aircraft it's superb.

I do find the ATC clunky though, but there's alternatives like ICAO and Vatsim, that use real people doing the controlling, this makes things a bit more realistic.

Buffalo Alien
Airman

Post by Buffalo Alien »

lonewulf47 wrote: 24 May 2023, 14:26 Maybe this may help you a bit:
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publica ... ion_2.html

Look at the phonetic alphabet about halfway down...
This was helpful. Thanks for posting this link.
P3Dv5, DCS World, ED Odyssey, MSFS PC & Xbox Series X. Win 11 23H2, ASRock B550AM, AMD Ryzen7 3700X 3.6 GHz, AMD Radeon RX5700, 64 GB DDR4 3000 MHz, ASUS TUF 23.8 x2, TM Hotas Warthog, TM TFRP, Xbox Elite Controller 2, TM TFlight Hotas One, MX Mech.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Me just flying sans ATC in uncontrolled local air space loving MSFS

A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

For an alternative to the default ATC check out Pilot2ATC. It is far more immersive than the standard issue, and you can talk to it rather than pressing keys. Works with Navigraph and although the experts will be able to pick holes in the phraseology it is a damn site better than default.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

UKJim
Senior Airman

Post by UKJim »

Dreamsofwings wrote: 26 May 2023, 12:23 For an alternative to the default ATC check out Pilot2ATC. It is far more immersive than the standard issue, and you can talk to it rather than pressing keys. Works with Navigraph and although the experts will be able to pick holes in the phraseology it is a damn site better than default.
Does it work for VFR circuits/flying too?

Dreamsofwings
A2A Mechanic

Post by Dreamsofwings »

It has that functionality but I’ve only used it for IFR so can’t speak for how good that side of it is mate. They do a free trial period if you want to give it go.

Dreamsofwings youtube channel https://m.youtube.com/c/Dreamsofwings
@dreamsofwings1 page on Facebook. Dreamsofwings1 on Instagram & Twitter

Mace
Airman First Class

Post by Mace »

UKJim wrote: 28 May 2023, 07:34 Does it work for VFR circuits/flying too?
You can use it for VFR too. But I find myself using it a lot more for IFR. For pattern work I just end up talking to myself mostly at some uncontrolled airport.
Rhett

wv.citybilly
Airman

Post by wv.citybilly »

Once you get past the "oohh ahhh pretty" of Bing Maps, the applications states it as it loads. It's a game.

Not impressed. I started out with Steam FSX, migrating to P3D, and never missed FSX a day (nor the problems it had). MSFS compared to P3d feels like a step backwards.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”