Can we talk about yokes?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JonasBecsan
Airman First Class

Can we talk about yokes?

Post by JonasBecsan »

I am probably a bit odd.

But I do like a good looking yoke! However, I don't like the yoke style used in the A2A Commanche and Cherokee. I do realize that both of these are based on real airplanes that happened to have these older style yokes, but man I wish they had an option for the better looking horn-style yokes.

Any more yokaholics here?

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Can we talk about yokes?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

Just hide the yoke in the sim and look at your hardware one in front of you.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

It’s obviously a personal preference. I love the Comanche yokes, both the aesthetics and functionality. It’s one of, if not the most comfortable yokes with its enclosed design.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

Ian MC
Airman

Post by Ian MC »

Scott - A2A wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 20:36 It’s obviously a personal preference. I love the Comanche yokes, both the aesthetics and functionality. It’s one of, if not the most comfortable yokes with its enclosed design.

Scott
I'll second this, I love the hoop style yoke also. You wouldn't think it's a big difference in ergonomics but it really is.

Mustang
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mustang »

I hear you, but I don't mind the Comanche's. I really don't like those 'bicycle' style canted yokes like you see in the modern Embraer jets. They look almost like something from a toddler's plastic sit-on push bike, but maybe they're quite comfortable in real life. I've no idea.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

When talking yoke style, a lot of people fail to consider that if you have been taught to fly correctly you will be flying the aircraft with one hand on the yoke and the other hand free to complete any and all peripheral cockpit duties.
With this in mind, whatever yoke style fits this single handed flying technique will eventually become your "favored" yoke style.
I have found this to be true for the sim as well.
Dudley Henriques

JonasBecsan
Airman First Class

Post by JonasBecsan »

I see most responses favor functionality over aesthetics which is understandable, you would want whatever has the better ergonomic from a purely flying standpoint.

But I just like the look of a classic horn style yoke. Whether it ergonomically controls better than the closed style on in the Commanche for example, I have no idea.
I think the old style King Air Yokes in particular are pretty good looking.
I think the old style King Air Yokes in particular are pretty good looking.
cdda6df296.jpg (481.94 KiB) Viewed 861 times

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

Personally, I don't feel the horn style yoke to be ergonomically the best option either. I have very limited flying experience in airplanes using ones, so most of my opinion builds on my experiences either in simulators or in other comparative "control wheels". But for sake of discussion, let me give just some reason on why I feel like I do.

The natural position of the forearm, and thus of the hand as well, tends to be around 20...45° from fully pronated, i.e. palm down, depending on how far the elbow is from the side. When flying with a control wheel, this position also allows for aileron control using wrist's extension and flexion, which to me feel more accurate and comfortable than ulnar and radial deviation, as the "sideways" movements of the wrist are apparently called.

Even while I have comparatively small hands, the most yokes lack comfortable space to rest my hand here:

Thus, for any longer periods, I tend to "milk" the yoke by grabbing it from the low corner with my thumb and the side of my index finger.

With Comanche-style yoke, I could rest my hand in either of these positions:

And, as it is open inside, I could move my hand position to the opposite side of the wheel regardless which of the above I chose, in case more right aileron was needed.

So, in a sense, I get where Embraer is coming from in their yoke design... aside copying it from Hawker Siddeley Trident, I presume! :mrgreen:

-Esa

Masterius
Senior Airman

Post by Masterius »

My newest yoke:

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”