Comanche Update

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
Ian MC
Airman

Re: Comanche Update

Post by Ian MC »

Malva21181 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 17:55 What is not clear to me is if A2A implements its own ground physics as it does with the flight model?
Whether they do or don't, there are a couple of offerings that have seemingly improved upon this greatly and I don't believe those use any outside programming. While I said before, I haven't found one that's *perfect*, some have come pretty close to acceptable :D . I don't think A2a will have any trouble being among the best if not the best.

Dudley's advice may help also, I have never really messed too much with the sensitivity so I'll give that a try.

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 21:53
Ian MC wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 18:30
Medtner wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 18:03
I'm glad to hear this! Ground physics is immensely important for the feel of the plane!
This is a good point, I really have not been satisfied with any of the current offering's ground handling. I've read (and by read I mean just conjecture among FS forum members) that FS has trouble with ground friction so it makes everything seem super light. I expect also, some of that is lack of feedback in the controls like you would have in a real plane so you tend to over control. I'm looking forward to seeing what A2a has done with it.
Like many others I have had to deal with ground physics since FS2000. The answer up until now lies hidden deeply in the rudder sensitivity settings.
To get it anywhere near right, what I have done and done successfully is to use a two pronged approach.
1. I lower my rudder sensitivity down. Mine is set presently at minus 50%. You can also lower the reactivity a bit.
2. And this part is CRITICAL ! You ABSOLUTELY have to take a LONG look at how you are using your rudder pedals. I say this because in my opinion a good set of rudder pedals using Hall Effect Sensors has gone a long way for me anyway toward getting this issue under some kind of control.
I have found it absolutely necessary to be MUCH more "gentle" using rudder then what I have seen from the "average sim pilot". This requires for many a change in technique in how the rudder is used. On takeoff and landing for example, gentle pressure and immediate correction using gentle pressure I have discovered acts to counter much of the inertia problem. Planting the heels just as it is done in the real airplane and using the ankles as fulcrums goes a LONG way to curing the lateral sensitivity problems. In other words by altering the technique a bit we can lower the "wandering around in yaw" that haunts us in flight Simulator.
I hope this short piece helps everyone.
Dudley Henriques
Thanks for that, Dudley. To add to that, the choice of hardware can make a big difference too:

On my Virtual Fly RUDDO+ pedals, the range of forward and back movement is only 65cm and the distance between the pedal centres is only 255cm.

After reading that you're happy with the VelocityOne Rudder Pedals I checked out the reviews and I've just purchased them. On these pedals the range of forward and back movement is 130cm and at the widest setting the distance between pedal centres is 355cm. This obviously gives much finer control of the rudder.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Ian MC wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 18:30 This is a good point, I really have not been satisfied with any of the current offering's ground handling. I've read (and by read I mean just conjecture among FS forum members) that FS has trouble with ground friction so it makes everything seem super light. I expect also, some of that is lack of feedback in the controls like you would have in a real plane so you tend to over control. I'm looking forward to seeing what A2a has done with it.
DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 07:28 Like many others I have had to deal with ground physics since FS2000. The answer up until now lies hidden deeply in the rudder sensitivity settings.
To get it anywhere near right, what I have done and done successfully is to use a two pronged approach.
1. I lower my rudder sensitivity down. Mine is set presently at minus 50%. You can also lower the reactivity a bit.
2. And this part is CRITICAL ! You ABSOLUTELY have to take a LONG look at how you are using your rudder pedals. I say this because in my opinion a good set of rudder pedals using Hall Effect Sensors has gone a long way for me anyway toward getting this issue under some kind of control.
I have found it absolutely necessary to be MUCH more "gentle" using rudder then what I have seen from the "average sim pilot". This requires for many a change in technique in how the rudder is used. On takeoff and landing for example, gentle pressure and immediate correction using gentle pressure I have discovered acts to counter much of the inertia problem. Planting the heels just as it is done in the real airplane and using the ankles as fulcrums goes a LONG way to curing the lateral sensitivity problems. In other words by altering the technique a bit we can lower the "wandering around in yaw" that haunts us in flight Simulator.
I hope this short piece helps everyone.
Dudley Henriques
Ian MC wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 18:30 Thanks for that, Dudley. To add to that, the choice of hardware can make a big difference too:
On my Virtual Fly RUDDO+ pedals, the range of forward and back movement is only 65cm and the distance between the pedal centres is only 255cm.

After reading that you're happy with the VelocityOne Rudder Pedals I checked out the reviews and I've just purchased them. On these pedals the range of forward and back movement is 130cm and at the widest setting the distance between pedal centres is 355cm. This obviously gives much finer control of the rudder.
An added note on the Velocity Pedals. Something I have been wanting to see on pedals for a LONG time now is present on these pedals.
They give you a set of alternate pedals that they say are a GA set. That being said, most aircraft including military planes use this type of pedal. Changing to these pedals allows you to plant your heels on the floor using your ankles as fulcrums on the rudder. You brake by raising your feet a bit higher. This setup is completely natural and the EXACT way you use rudder pedals properly in a real aircraft.
With the Halls, I rate these pedals VERY highly and like them very much.
DH

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

DHenriquesA2A wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 07:28 An added note on the Velocity Pedals. Something I have been wanting to see on pedals for a LONG time now is present on these pedals.
They give you a set of alternate pedals that they say are a GA set. That being said, most aircraft including military planes use this type of pedal. Changing to these pedals allows you to plant your heels on the floor using your ankles as fulcrums on the rudder. You brake by raising your feet a bit higher. This setup is completely natural and the EXACT way you use rudder pedals properly in a real aircraft.
With the Halls, I rate these pedals VERY highly and like them very much.
DH
For those of you with MFG Crosswind Pedals there is a company who have devised a quick release mechanism and have a range of pedal options if you want to swap between pedal styles depending on what aircraft you want to fly...
qr4rigs.com

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Dudley - based on your earlier recommendation I got my wife to order them for my birthday at the end of this month to replace my old Logitech which I can't stand. The sad part is they just came in and will have to stare at the box for a couple of weeks.... Look forward to giving them a try!

Mike

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Mikenor wrote: 07 Mar 2023, 14:11 Dudley - based on your earlier recommendation I got my wife to order them for my birthday at the end of this month to replace my old Logitech which I can't stand. The sad part is they just came in and will have to stare at the box for a couple of weeks.... Look forward to giving them a try!

Mike
I think you will like these pedals very much. When I installed mine into FS2020 they were recognized automatically and allowed me to use the basic rudder setup. It was a snap!
Good luck with yours.
D

Mikenor
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mikenor »

Thanks Dudley and also big thanks for all your content. Alway enjoy reading your posts.

Mike

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”