Survey concerning controller installation

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Survey concerning controller installation

Post by DHenriques_ »

I'm gathering information today if you have a definite answer;

There seems to be a LOT of conflicting information (or even lack of accurate information) concerning the absolute correct way to install a controller into MSFS.
If you notice, the tutorials on line such as the excellent ones created by "Squirrel" and others totally avoid initial calibration using the built in Windows Applet in "Devices". What is usually shown goes right into the MSFS Controller settings for assignment and sensitivity adjustments.
Also, some controller manufacturers ask for their drivers and some do not.
The result can be quite confusing when installing a controller.
What's your experience with this? Have you calibrated first using the applet or have you skipped that step and gone right into MSFS without calibrating first in Windows?
I am assuming also that plug and play automatically calibrates a controller when it is plugged into the computer and this can be verified using the Windows Applet "test" window.
My question is simply whether actual calibration using the windows applet should be done before entering into MSFS for final assignments and adjustments?
Your take on this from your personal experience is appreciated.
Dudley Henriques

FAC257
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Survey concerning controller installation

Post by FAC257 »

Dudley,

I don't think used the Windows calibration since moving to MSFS 2020. I have an X52 setup and use the MSFS Controller settings. I also haven't used any Saitek drivers for probably 10-15 years. I stopped using Saitek drivers when they started creating issues with my mouse and conflicts in Device Manager.

Forest
FAC257

bullfox
Technical Sergeant

Post by bullfox »

All my controllers are Satak. Yoke, TPM, 2 throttle quadrants, and rudder pedals. I have no problems with some quite old stuff in P3D. I don't have MSFS. I have been experimenting with Xplane 12. So far not much impressed. Hopefully it will get better. I don't think the calibration routines are very good. They don't seem to stay calibrated. However that may be because so far I have been upgrading the early release beta every week as the program continues to be upgraded on a regular basis.
Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, OC to 4.5 ghz, Radeon XFX 6900XT Black edition, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board, and some other stuff I forget exactly what.

Blitzer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Blitzer »

My expectation or personal opinion would be to calibrate the hardware externally to MSFS as per the manufactures recommendation. E.g. for MFG Crosswind pedals there bespoke software that stores the calibration directly on the hardware, I believe my Virpil Collective is the same.
I rarely actually check most controllers unless something feels “off”, I can’t remember the last time I check my Warthog HOTAS for example as it just seems to be working just fine. I also use an old Logitech G940 stick for helicopters this can play up now and then so I did end up calibrating that occasionally.
In MSFS itself I assign axis and buttons to my liking and check the sensitivity and make sure there are no dead zones. Really from there I just make sure I get the full range of axis movement being replicated in the sim.

I would say best practice would be…
1. Calibrate as per manufactures process. I.e. bespoke calibration software or through windows devices.
2. Set in MSFS and check the controller functions correctly.
3. Also check for conflicts when using multiple controllers….
4. Where applicable use different controller profiles to enable/disable specific controller axis to avoid conflicts. E.g. I used a pretty empty profile for my G940 when I fly fixed wing so it does not create a conflict. But I switch the profile to a helicopter profile when I do want to fly helis.

Adam_NZ
Technical Sergeant

Post by Adam_NZ »

I've had Saitek gear for a fair while. I'm not a great fan (their build quality is terrible) but it's all I can afford.

My X-56 throttle/stick/rudder set were working fine (with and without FSUIPC) but since SU10 the calibration utility in MSFS has gone bananas (not fixed in SU11 either). All the axes work as advertised, but the slider bar that used to happily move left/right now either sits there doing nothing, or gets stuck at some random position. The only sign of activity is the button(s) above it flashing.

I've tried all the voodoo - using MS Windows calibration and/or other visual display utilities. All seem to work correctly ... just the brain-dead calibration screen in MSFS doesn't. Anyone else had this?
--
Image--Image

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”