Florida Weather is Another World.

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Florida Weather is Another World.

Post by GaryRR »

I am currently touring Florida in P3D4. I purchased Orbx True Earth Florida and to see it I am doing regional to regional hops in a rental Skylane out of KJAX. Today's flight was KOMN to KITX. I flew it with ASN Live weather of course, current Eastern Standard time. So, about 10 miles out I'm at 2500 and I called Space Coast Tower and requested full stop landing. I got straight in runway 18, follow the Cherokee 180 on final. So, the 180 pokes along and I get go around. There are T-storms in the area and one started moving through. So I put myself in a left traffic pattern but the winds off shore were crazy. I overshot my base and had to adjust. I am flying straight into the wind and my ASI was showing 100 knots indicated but my 530 told me 45 knots ground speed. Felt like I was floating still. As I started to intercept the glide slope and crab right the prevailing winds pushed me too far west and I declares missed. I made a second pattern and by the time I turned base the storm had moved on and the landing was very nice. An approach like that never happened to me in sim before.

I asked my sister who lives in Punta Gorda if it gets that severe and she said Thunderstorms can and do delay flights in FL all the time. They don't mess with them.

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Re: Florida Weather is Another World.

Post by ratty »

We moved to Florida from California last September and I'm still adjusting. They're both warm with blue skies most of the time, but here these things do blow through, dump some rain in fairly substantial quantities, then are gone. It actually makes a nice change! The screenshot's from just now at 8:30 pm.

Raceguy
A2A Mechanic

Post by Raceguy »

As our local TV station says "the weather in Florida can change in a minute".

We moved here in 2014 from Ohio. I can't say we miss the snow and below freezing temps but the heat, humidity and storms are a different type of inconvenience.

I also have Orbx True Earth Florida and enjoy the scenery. I have different planes based at airports around the state and venture out for some regional sight seeing.

Right now I'm on a "tour of the Gulf" with the P-51 MIL starting from FA40 just north of Tampa. I crossed the state to Melbourne then headed down the Atlantic coast to West Palm Beach then turned East to the Bahamas.
As I went feet dry I headed for Grand Bahama Airport. The storms were not too close so I made my approach and thought I was in a washing machine. I aborted and tried 2 more times with the same results. So I stashed the air sick bag and headed farther inland to the Grand Bahama Auxiliary Air Force Airport for a smooth landing. I have scenery the The Bahamas and I'm working my way through the islands as weather permits.

Take care
Ed

If at first you do succeed, try not to look too surprised!

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

Raceguy wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 08:49 As our local TV station says "the weather in Florida can change in a minute".

We moved here in 2014 from Ohio. I can't say we miss the snow and below freezing temps but the heat, humidity and storms are a different type of inconvenience.

I also have Orbx True Earth Florida and enjoy the scenery. I have different planes based at airports around the state and venture out for some regional sight seeing.

Right now I'm on a "tour of the Gulf" with the P-51 MIL starting from FA40 just north of Tampa. I crossed the state to Melbourne then headed down the Atlantic coast to West Palm Beach then turned East to the Bahamas.
As I went feet dry I headed for Grand Bahama Airport. The storms were not too close so I made my approach and thought I was in a washing machine. I aborted and tried 2 more times with the same results. So I stashed the air sick bag and headed farther inland to the Grand Bahama Auxiliary Air Force Airport for a smooth landing. I have scenery the The Bahamas and I'm working my way through the islands as weather permits.

Take care
Ed
I was glad to see Daytona Speedway right next to Daytona International where it belongs. Although a little more detail to the stands would have been nice, they look more like buildings. I flew from Space Coast to Orlando Executive and overflew the theme park area while I was at it. I think they put more time into that than they did to the Speedway. They are in AU though.
I wanted to see True Earth FLA after a flight down from my home field in PA, KSEG. But the time factor is always there. I already did a down the East Coast to Savanah and west to Atlanta and back home with a stop at Pigeon Forge, Shenandoa and back to SEG. I was touring the freeware Orbx airports. Have a lot of them to see yet. Perhaps in winter I will take the BO south to FL.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”