These come in very handy when the price of fuel becomes prohibative

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

These come in very handy when the price of fuel becomes prohibative

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

My two ebikes. One is designed specifically for riding in rainy weather. Both have a realistic 40 miles of powered range

I have plans to charge them with solar panels too. We don't know what to expect but I plan on still getting around.
There might be no fuel available or even power.
Attachments
Two ebikes.jpg
Two ebikes.jpg (76.55 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Re: These come in very handy when the price of fuel becomes prohibative

Post by ClipperLuna »

Neato, looks like you've got some bags on there for hauling groceries too. How fast do they go? How well do they pull hills?

The price of fuel is definitely getting up there. More than $90 to fill an 18-gallon tank where I live.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

They are not the most ideal ebikes. The better ones have mid drive motors and are more efficient and better for very steep hills
I actually take the smaller white one ( an Lectric XP Step Thru 1.0 from 2021 stimulus money) right into my local grocery store 3.5 miles away and place the items that I want into the front basket. I can place more in the truck bags though. They work pretty well up hills however there are hills that I would not dare to go up with these.
As a heart Patient riding these also is aerobic exercise therapy for me and they are also healthy for regular people to ride and helps them delay becoming cardiac patients in the future as using sedentary transportation doesn't make you healthy but rather makes everyone else sick and is greatly responsible for the ongoing 6th great species extinction (ironically aerobic life) on Planet Earth,

The other one is an older RadRover from 2017 that I bought used from a neighbor. I had a bigger battery pack for it. The Windshield and cover is a Veltop upright Classic + model ordered online from France. I had to heavily modify it so that it would fit It originally used Fiberglass Rods but these annoyingly broke too often, so I ordered two stainless steel CB whip antennas cut to the right length to hold up the top cover. . Then I still got wet at the waist leg level so my neighbor friend had a good sized lexan panel and he cut it to the right length and I bent it using a heat gun. This was my shield angled so my waist and my upper legs wouldn't get wet. I also wear leg gaiters and shoe covers and with this I don't get wet at all.
It's like a poor mans Velomobile.

Both will reach speeds of 28 mph but more common speeds are 23 to 25 mph at the highest power levels as Class III ebikes. On hills I often go at around 9 to 13 mph with me assisting by pedaling. Pedaling is crucial as those who are able to and just use throttle will have much less range and not get any healthy exercise.

However a lot of my food I grow right in my backyard. I amazingly have a Lemon Tree in my small greenhouse in Tacoma WA USA that produced around 100 big Meyer Lemons a few months ago. I have many other fruit trees,shrubs,berries etc along with my good sized vegetable garden . This will help if there is food scarcity

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Post by GaryRR »

You are blessed to not have a long commute everyday. Mine is 47 miles one way. My old car, a 2002 Malibu was cut across from a side street and I couldn't get stopped short enough. Now I have a nice black chrome trim 2011 malibu. It has 2.4l Ecotec 4 and rated up to 33mpg but I never see that here in Central Susquehanna Valley country PA. Ridges and hills are pretty scenery but murder on gas mileage.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

I am fortunate in that there is a lot of mass transit where I live too. Most of my rides are for exercise,leisure,grocery shopping some fun to go areas etc. No business just reality. It could be used for business and is a practical short distance local travel vehicle.
However when systems collapse it's nice to have a method of supplying your own energy and the ability to get around easily at speeds like a horse but much easier to care of. It doesn't eat like a horse and no poop.No stinky poisonous exhaust either.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”