Who is using a force feedback yoke?

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Who is using a force feedback yoke?

Post by dvm »

alioth wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 04:15 I use MSFF2 with Condor, which is great.
FSX and P3D have built-it force feedback really bad coded.
But using FSFORCE software https://www.fs-force.com/ , force feedback works great in fsx/p3d.

Without FsForce, I prefer to switch off force feedback in p3d.

Arturo.
I agree If you are using a FF device in FSX or P3D without this software you are missing out.

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

AKar wrote: 22 Mar 2022, 13:25 The DCS helicopters are something I've found extremely fun! Not least because I've never flown an actual helicopter in reality. All the concentration required to make the concepts into real-time handling effort makes my brain hurt - in a good way, just like some nice hard exercise after a long break!

It really pays off to understand the theory - not that it helps in not constantly crashing, but at least you likely have an idea of what happened. :mrgreen: And with time and effort and practice, at some point you'll start having an idea of what is happening quickly enough to handle the thing. :mrgreen: Principles of Helicopter Flight by Wagtendonk is a nice one, not too superficial but not too theoretical or heavy reading either.
Nailing that flight in a DCS Chopper is, for me, the most rewarding achievement in flightsimming. All that in VR and I am done after two hours. Totally exhausted but satisfied. Thamk you for the book tip, most of my knowledge to this point is from Robert Mason's Chickenhawk, trial and error and a tiny section on helos in my old Nordian ATPL book. I think that I am missing out on a lot of the experience using the TM Warthog to fly instead of a FFB stick.This year is going to be expensive. Hopefully my wife won't sell my stuff for the price I told her I bought it.

I believe a lot of the immersion and usability you get from FFB comes not only from the stick's forces and quality of build, but mostly from the sims coding- no amount of well made FFB-Control-designer's software seems to offset the capabilities of the sim. Guess that's why I consistently get better results in X-Plane and DCS than in P3D, but now that dvm and alioth said fs-force makes it a lot better for p3d, I might give it a shot. Thank you guys.

Regards,
Max
Public service announcement: You put an aircraft in a hangar, not a hanger.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

MaxZ wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 10:14 It is quite a bit easier to set the FFB for airliners or generally for aircraft with hydraulically boosted controls from my experience.
Erik, do you mind sharing one of your profiles for any A2A bird please, I am having serious trouble to use my yoke to the full extent that I think is possible and you seem to have put a lot of hours on it already.

This hobby is a money grave for me, Volker. I use my Warthog bolted to my chair with the shortest extension Milan Simundza (the MFG Crosswind guy) offers and I am very satisfied with the results. However, I must admit I also have my eyes on a Honeycomb TQ as well as VKB Stick, let's see, certainly not in the very near future :D
Hi,

I'm sorry for the late answer.

Sure, I can share my profiles. I have one for the Bonanza, one for the 172, one for the Comanche, and several for X-Plane aircraft. I haven't used P3D for ages now, as I was "taken hostage" by the DHC-2 Beaver in XP-11.

I'm unable to attach files here, for some reason, but they are not large (around 40kB), so I could mail them to you.
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

Oh I know the feeling of being taken hostage by the Xp11 beaver 8) 8)
Yes that would be highly appreciated! I'll send you a private message then.

HobAnagerik
Staff Sergeant

Post by HobAnagerik »

I think the only reason I haven't bought one of the Brunner yokes is my desk is used for work as well, so I can't have it permanently mounted. Currently I slide my Yoko+ into position then use the provided clamp to hold it in position. It has rubber feet that protect the wood desk.

I don't believe that Brunner have ever supplied a clamp for desk users that regularly have to dismantle things.

Medtner
A2A Mechanic

Post by Medtner »

HobAnagerik wrote: 13 Sep 2023, 04:59 I think the only reason I haven't bought one of the Brunner yokes is my desk is used for work as well, so I can't have it permanently mounted. Currently I slide my Yoko+ into position then use the provided clamp to hold it in position. It has rubber feet that protect the wood desk.

I don't believe that Brunner have ever supplied a clamp for desk users that regularly have to dismantle things.
Yeah, that is a bit of a compromise one probably has to do. The clamp needed to hold a Brunner Yoke would have to be industrial strength to the point of impracticality, I would think. Same with the rudder.

When I got the units, I just placed them (with some thought to centering and allowing full movement of all axis, of course), and went to town with screws. Right into the desk and the floor. Haven't needed to reposition or undo in all those years. But the desk is now firmly established as a flightsim desk - all else has to work around it...
Erik Haugan Aasland,

Arendal, Norway
(Homebase: Kristiansand Lufthavn, Kjevik (ENCN)

All the Accusim-planes are in my hangar, but they aren't sitting long enough for their engines to cool much before next flight!

david.potter
Airman

Post by david.potter »

deleted

HobAnagerik
Staff Sergeant

Post by HobAnagerik »

I've read on the MSFS forums that some users just use strong Gorilla tape, and one user even uses strips of Velcro I believe. If you have enough of it I can believe it as it offers a lot of friction.

Even so, that seems like having these strips permanently mounted to the desk, which would be where my keyboard, and wrist rest sit.

I think one way would be to have the yoke permanently mounted to a larger object, such as a piece of plywood, and you clamp that wider object to the desk. The extra width would have the side benefit of offering more resistance to forces because the gap between the two mounting points would be further apart.

MaxZ
Senior Airman

Post by MaxZ »

I am very space limited with my flightsim setup. I screwed the yoke in place in the mittle of my desk. The keyboard rests on top. This setup sucks for playing other games or working on the PC, but for flightsim it works just fine. I thought about your idea with the board as well but looking at all the wires connected to my PC, monitor and whatnot it is not a feasible solution for me.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”