First Attempt At HCB Under Desk Mounting

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

First Attempt At HCB Under Desk Mounting

Post by GaryRR »

So, I recently took delivery of a Honeycomb Bravo Quadrant. They are rather large and hefty. I don't have a suitable surface area to mount it on and I couldn't see the point of paying 50 to 100 dollars for what is essentially drilled flat bar. So I decided to create my own solution.
I picked up a length of red oak millwork trim at the local lumber/hardware store. Did my measuring and cutting and drilling. I only used the two center screw holes to fasten the trim. Because it is arctic here in PA right now I decided to use the screws from out of the Bravo to fasten the trim. And I also counter sunk the holes. It looks good but the is still a bit of flex especially when moving the levers through detent positions. Tomorrow morning bright and early I will drill out for the end screw holes and I will go to the Hardware and match up slightly longer screws that will thread deeper. If there is still flex then I know that even the red oak isn't up to it and I will get aluminum flat bar. I don't know if our hardware has it but I know Home Depot does. I will report back on how it goes and if anyone wants to do their own I will snap with my phone and email the pics. Happy Landings crew.

wblackret
Staff Sergeant

Re: First Attempt At HCB Under Desk Mounting

Post by wblackret »

Hi Gary,

Nice Arctic weather we here in PA are having! Hope your idea works, thought of something similar, it was just too easy to click on “Buy”. So I did and I’m happy with my low rider. Take care,,

Bill
Bill Black

C172,C182,250 Comanche,J3 Cub,P-40,Bonanza
MSFS, P3Dv4.5
JETLINE GT2
W10,Z390 PRO MB,9TH GEN I7 9700K 4.9 GHZ (OC),KRAKEN M22 120 MHZ CPU LC,32 GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3200 GHZ RAM, EVGA 8 GB RTX 2070 SUPER,850 WATT CORSAIR PS,2TB CORSAIR SSD.

GaryRR
Staff Sergeant

Re: First Attempt At HCB Under Desk Mounting

Post by GaryRR »

wblackret wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 17:00 Hi Gary,

Nice Arctic weather we here in PA are having! Hope your idea works, thought of something similar, it was just too easy to click on “Buy”. So I did and I’m happy with my low rider. Take care,,

Bill
I looked at the LowRider and I also looked at FlightvVelocity's mount also. $100 or $50. Either one I would have had to alter for my desk. My space is the top of the CPU compartment/bottom of the mouse tray slot. It is basically a supporting shelf in the desk. It is 14 5/8" wide. I would have had to employ my Sawzall anyway so I just decided to save that money and use my drill also. At least if I solidly mount the red oak trim section and it still flexes a little I will have a template to apply to sturdier material. The oak trim was $2 dollars but I'm sure a peice of aluminum flat bar will still come in under $20 if I need it.

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”